Forum: Poser Python Scripting

Subject: Poser7 Python Execution slow

dtacy1 opened this issue on Jan 03, 2007 · 6 posts

dtacy1 posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 8:30 AM

I have a script I wrote to point a character's eyes at a selected target actor. Under Poser 7 this python script takes forever to complete. Under Poser 6 it's fast.

Is anyone else seeing problems with Poser 7 python scripting speed??

script attached..... Use at your own risk :)

I take that back....  The Select Actor method is slow in becoming active in P6.   The script completion is slow in P7 after Select Actor.  I guess Poser's built-in dialogs have some internal issues.

nruddock posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 12:34 PM

I just tried the script in P7, it only takes a few seconds to run, so I suspect the problem is with your machine or installation.
I'd suggest printing out some progress information to find out where your experiencing delay.

dtacy1 posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 2:02 PM

Grrrr.....

Nope, it's not an installation problem. It's a WinXP 64 bit problem. I ran it on a WinXP 32 bit installation, and it ran without a delay.

That was actually run with the same installation - I just network shared the install directory, and ran on another system. Works as long as only one version of the serial number stamped poser executable is active. A little slower on loading files, but I don't have to install Poser on every system I may want to use in the house. One central installation, and I can use poser "like a book".

It's looking like it is some kind of video driver issue under WinXP 64. If I use SreeD instead of OpenGL  the delays go away completely. Strange.... I'll have to see if there are driver updates for my video.

semidieu posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 2:54 PM

Just tested it in my WinXP 64bit... And it works perfectly !

Great script, by the way.

nruddock posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 2:56 PM

You might also try not using the hardware shading for preview (assuming you were using it in the first place).

dtacy1 posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:24 PM

nruddock - Looks like any use of the OpenGL causes a delay. Using software only display and the scripts run quickly.

semidieu - Glad it works for you! I did disable my second monitor, and the script ran faster, but not enough different to justify losing the second monitor!!!  I haven't noticed any other graphics related issues like this, and I've been running WinXP64 since it was in beta.

Looks like the slow down is drivers/WinXP 64 on my side.  The SreeD software rendering seems to be just as fast as the OpenGL - and that's not right. I'll probably be trying out Vista soon, anyway. Things are bound to get worse before they get better ;)