Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The Once-in-a-while custom prop challenge!

templargfx opened this issue on Jan 07, 2007 · 138 posts

templargfx posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 10:37 PM

Hello good people of the poser universe!

Here is your chance to get a prop made for yourself!

for the next 24 hours I will take requests for any 3D prop you need!

at the end of the 24 hours I will choose 1 or 2 that really inspire me, and create the prop for you! free of charge.

Now here are the conditions :

This is a prop, no clothes requests sorry!
It can be pretty much anything, but if its too complicated (ie it would take me days to model it), the chances of it being selected are less.
The Prop will come un-textured but UV mapping will be in place (templar style LOL) and a template will be included.

How the selection will take place:

Basically the winning request(s) will have to inspire me! What inspires me? well you'll just have to find that out for yourself!

start requesting!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

SoCalRoberta posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 10:45 PM

I really really would like  a FUNERAL URN. The kind you put Uncle's ashes in to display on the fireplace mantle .
Please good sir :thumbupboth:

templargfx posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 11:24 PM

Any examples/photos? thats an easy object to create unless your thinking of something particularily intricate.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

muralist posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 11:25 PM

Men's and womens cross- country skis and ski poles, please.

tom271 posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 11:38 PM

we should have a wishlist of model that are wanted....  a list where modelers can read and make some wishes come true......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

muralist posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 11:48 PM

Quote - we should have a wishlist of model that are wanted....  a list where modelers can read and make some wishes come true......

Have an idea for a MarketPlace product?  Would you like to let the MarketPlace Merchants know?  This is the place!
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showforum.php?forum_id=12444

templargfx posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 12:04 AM

thats what I plan to do, kindof.

the amount of models I create depends on the complexity. things like an urn and ski's above are relatively simple models to create. I could pump those out in a night.

I've decided to do this, because I like to model lo-res high detail stuff, but I'm out of ideas.

I worked on a mod for TES Oblivion called Myths and Legends, you may or may not have heard of it. anyway I created 14 weapons for this mod, and a whole lot of other bits and bobs, but I want to model other things than weapons LOL

keep em coming!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

AntoniaTiger posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 5:34 AM

A slightly old-fashioned microscope, sort of first half of the 20th century. The sort of thing that might be used on an expedition to remote places.

kobaltkween posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 11:39 AM

time's more than up, i  see.  since not many have posted...

dress maker's dummy.  yes, i know theness made one, but i'd like another ;).

antique typewriter

rolls royce or antique hood ornament.

art deco gargoyle.

art deco just about anything architectual.

longhorn skull

sliced open nautilus shell

ostrich feather (dimensional, not transmapped plane)

stone cherub head (as seen on headstones and as architectural ornamentation).  no back, but more than a displacement map would be able to handle.

cooked turkey

dragon kite, or any kite with multiple parts and dimensions

rreynolds posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 12:59 PM

An old fashioned staircase something like this.

Charles_V posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 1:30 PM

I'd like to see.........

a segway!   

or..........

What about....

a nifty sorta cyborg-ish gun arm to replace a figures lower arm, it could be like uber low-tech gritty non-retractable all in your face : ) 

Or I'd be happy to see a nifty looking above ground crypt : )   Something not to foreboding.

Just ideas : )  

puddykat posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 2:11 PM

I would also like a dressmakers dummy or even better an artist's lay figure or crash test dummy, it would not need to be a posable character .cr2 just the ball/joint body parts which I could parent appropriately.

Any kind of messy clutter would be apreciated; a rubish heap in the woods or a messy table or refuse on the floor? Poser renders are always too neat and clean I think. We have Poser bathrooms, kitchens, offices, but not bathroom counter, kitchen counter, or desktop clutter! 

Some bowls, vases, sculptures or other knick-nacks that might populate the shelves of an apartment as art?

Is it possible to make a simple low resolution static prop of electrical cord going to wall outlet to place to the side of that TV or whatever so it actually looks plugged-in?

Thanks

tekmonk posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 2:45 PM

Some of this stuff sounds quite interesting... so can other people contribute ? I'd love to do the cherub and a few other things (if templargfx doesn't mind of course)

Also, pix or links to everything you guys want done would really help...

kobaltkween posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 3:38 PM

yay!

some cherub links:
http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/imagesLZ/Victorian/vict29475b.jpg
http://www.historicimpressions.com/ScotangelL.jpg
http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk/images/nrpBM/BMEE18.jpg - i don't like this one's face much, but it shows how it can be used in architecture
Gothic Gallery Store - several on the page

scott8539 posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 3:46 PM

i would really like to have this hair for a3

scott8539 posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 3:48 PM

and this ship.:)

tom271 posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 4:13 PM

I'll try the early 20th century microsope.....   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marque posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 4:17 PM

I would like a simple greenhouse with glass windows and doors and the fans at either end. Benchs would be great but mainly the greenhouse and fans.
Thanks,
Marque

templargfx posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 4:18 PM

LOL the SDF-1! theres robotech models out there already, in 3ds format. not the hair though.

theres still around 6 hours left in my challenge, so keep posting!

TEKMONK : Go right ahead, of course I dont mind, I cant accomodate everyone as much as I would like to, so the more the merrier!

there are some really nifty ideas here, some have really got me intreagued!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

scott8539 posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 5:34 PM

i cant find any robotech models except for quake games.

templargfx posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 6:11 PM

4 hours 27 minutes left

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

shedofjoy posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 7:13 PM

a shopping trolley.... i think thats something i havent seen yet, and i would like to plop in a V4 scene.lol

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Realmling posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 7:22 PM

@scott8539

Grabbed the image there....been a little distracted with some projects elsewhere...but I'll try and get started on the hair here soon. Still can't promise it will be right away, but it will be worked on.

(hopefully...classes start up again next week, add to that a million things at work...and I'll be a screaming psycho in a few months...I just have to keep telling myself that going back to school was a good idea)

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

SoCalRoberta posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 8:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.perfectmemorials.com/people-cremation-urns-metal-cremation-urns-c-394_401_21.html

Funeral urns :)

ziggie posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 9:46 PM

**@ shedofjoy:

Quote - a shopping trolley.... i think thats something i havent seen yet, and i would like to plop in a V4 scene.lol

There are a couple of free shopping trolleys around... I think at the JP sites.

I don't know where exactly, but it might jog someone's memory.

Quote - and i would like to plop in a V4 scene.lol

Trekkiegggrl has a free dog plop at her site

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

svdl posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 10:03 PM

A cave. A VERY LARGE cave. Full of stalactites, stalagmites, columns, tunnel exits, gorges and so on, with a huge central area, big enough for several buildings. 500-1000 feet diameter, ceiling hundreds of feet high.
Would be extremely useful for the next couple of episodes of my story.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

templargfx posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 10:08 PM

LOl to above, that sounds like a job for zbrush!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

cherokee69 posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 10:12 PM

OK, here you go.....

Titanic's Grand Staircase...or any of the interiors of the ship.....

www.bobsliberace.com/vegas/vegasimage/titanic3.jpg

members.tripod.com/~titanic3/ships7.jpg

or a rail buggy..

thebuggyshop.50megs.com/completedturnkeys/images/bluebuggy1.jpg

Larry F posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 11:01 PM

A bandoneon!  Copious links and pictures supplied upon acceptance/request.

templargfx posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 11:43 PM

OK, challenge is over, so for now, no more entries (at least none that I will consider to be fair to those who got in on time)

winning to be announced soon!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 11:47 PM

WIP1 @ AntoniaTiger :   I just wanted you to know I started your early 20th century microscope. here is a pic in grey of it...  

templargfx posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 12:11 AM

And the winners are :

SoCalRoberta - you get a Classic Funural Urn (base+lid+stand+plaque)
Muralist - Ski Gear (Ski's, Ski Poles)
  I Live in Australia,not much skiing around here, so Ill have to look into what is required.
PuddyKat - Electrical Cord plugged into outlet (I love this one!)
Margue - Greenhouse (basic frame, covering, door, fans)

depending on the time it takes to create all of the above, package them up and upload them, I might do some more of the requests. but for now, these are on my todo list!

I'm no speed modeller, but Im not that slow! keep an eye out for updates to this thread for model progress!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 12:56 AM

I'm not a speed modeller either so I'll take as long as it takes...  I have not heard from** ** AntoniaTiger and I hope Antonia knows she is getting her wish.... ![](../../mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Here is my second WIP... maybe I'll post again later or tomorrow

scott8539 posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 3:42 PM

Quote - @scott8539

Grabbed the image there....been a little distracted with some projects elsewhere...but I'll try and get started on the hair here soon. Still can't promise it will be right away, but it will be worked on.

(hopefully...classes start up again next week, add to that a million things at work...and I'll be a screaming psycho in a few months...I just have to keep telling myself that going back to school was a good idea)

it's ok.let me know when you have it for sale.thanks

AntoniaTiger posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 4:25 PM

Thanks, Tom, I've been having one of those awkward couples of days. I was thinking that something looked odd about the initial modelling. I think it's the lack of the sleeve around the microscope tube, and the way the end of the support-arm sticks up. It's a good start.

tom271 posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 4:46 PM

WIP#3 here is the other part.. olmost finished with the top portion... 

@Antonia  ..  what do you mean lack of the sleeve..?   the central tubing is just fine... remember this is an old fashion instrument...

puddykat posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 5:24 PM

Hello!

I just thought of something I really /need/ but which would be no fun to make... on the other hand I am sure it would only take 30 seconds to make. A box... medium resolution like maybe the Poser box prop but with the edge beveled just imperceptibly, only enough so that when rendered it isn't so hard edged but not so much as to be a "camphered box". When I use the Poser box to make a wall or pedistal it is so overly sharp but if say an 96"x48"x6" wall partition had a sixsteenth inch bevel to the edge it would improve realism.

Also I would love a paper folded in the middled and opped up again... like a newspaper spread open or a Playboy Centerfold pinned up. There is the Newspaper by Trekkiegrrrl but it is very high mesh and I want to cover the floor. The centerfold I speaks for itself.

Thanks.

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 6:13 PM

The newspaper isn't THAT high a mesh, but yeah, somewhat, to enable it to crumble. Of course that could now be done with displacement, but that wasn't an option back when I made it :)

So I'm working on a new one now, more like a centerfold :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 6:29 PM

Here's a test render:

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 6:29 PM

And the wireframe :o)

templargfx posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 8:14 PM

LOL, now THATS low res modelling! nice work

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

DarkEdge posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 10:55 PM

this is a great thread all (templar).

i applaude all who model for this!
who said the community is dead? :biggrin:

Comitted to excellence through art.

Conniekat8 posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 11:01 PM

This is little bit of a sidebar to the topic, but since we're mentioning other models... here's something I modeled eons ... sSome 7-8 years ago for practice. It has some imperfections in the mesh, and is not mapped, but if anyone wants it, you can have it (3ds format) It's an old style survey instrument (theodolite).

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

tom271 posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 1:42 AM

Well here is WIP #4

I'm going to add a few more details to this 20th century microscope.   I can always tone it down if it gets too big of a file.....

tom271 posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 3:52 AM

Just a preview of the scope...   for those who like renders... 

kobaltkween posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 4:04 AM

puddykat - if you're not using p4 or pp, you should be able to bevel edges really simply with displacement.  if you're using poser 6 or above, i'd bet you could manage to use a tile node as a displacement map.

tom271 posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 10:18 AM

WIP# 5

I did a few changes to it....   but basically is the same... 

Any comments..?

kobaltkween posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:01 AM

ooo, nice.  i really like it.

tom271 posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 2:49 PM

Thank you cobalt.....

TrekkieGrrrl posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 3:08 PM

That microscope looks VERY nice!

Hmm I better zip up my poster :)

TrekkieGrrrl posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 4:06 PM

The poster is now live and available at [my homepage](http://trekkiegrrrl.dk) :o)

Have fun!

templargfx posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 4:13 PM

Sorry about my lack of updates, I am modelling things at work at the moment as my computer is busted (well about as close to busted as you can get without it actually being busted!) New Hard Drive temorrow. that'll fix it.  anyway I have modelled the Urn, just working on the details today to finish it off. I'll try and get some type of pic up soon.

Nice microscope!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

SoCalRoberta posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 8:29 PM

templargfx!!!! 
How kind of you!!!!  You have NO idea how happy you've made me!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

templargfx posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:32 PM

Heres the urn, sorry about the crappy look to it. there are no smoothing groups added yet, so the model is flat shaded. the lid is a seperate object too. it will be sub-devided later to produce a smoother model, just modelling the actuall parts.

If your wondering, I model via the Vertex to Face method. so its a little slower (but I enjoy it more)

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

templargfx posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:34 PM

Again, sorry about the crappy look.

Here is the powerpoint for the TV powercord winner. this will be seperate, so you can have just the powerpoint in the scene. also if I can remember how, the chord will have morphs to change its shape a little to make it more useful.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

SoCalRoberta posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:39 PM

I like the shape of the urn. It's going to be a very graceful piece :)

templargfx posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:43 PM

I have modelled some "handles" for the sides, there small and fit the look nicely, really finishes off the urn in looks, just tweaking them now.  I swear it looks really nice smoothed!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

SoCalRoberta posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 12:15 AM

I'm already planning the texture I want to put on it :)

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 4:19 AM

Templar - what program do you use to model in?

I like that urn, too. Looks like an urn SHOULD look :o)

templargfx posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:41 AM

I use Milkshape 3D to do the base model, then bring it into zbrush if needed to finish it off.

how about yourself?

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

templargfx posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 8:08 AM

Heres the URN rendered in poser

as you can see, it does indeed look a heap better smoothed LOL

for an urn, its relatively high res. I thought it would be more of a centrepiece item than a background one.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 3:58 PM

It's very nice, smoothed. I could imagine it smoothed as well, though :)

For organic shapes I use Hexagon but for something like that poster I still resort to good old (and I mean OLD - 3.1) Max :) I guess I could have done it in Hexagon as well, but in Max I can do it in like 5 minutes. In Hexagon I still need to THINK :lol:

kobaltkween posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 4:17 PM

trekkiegrrrl - just a question: do you recommend hex for beginners?  i've poked around at free stuff (wings 3d, blender, animator), but nothing's really clicked so far.  wings3d hides too many affordances and blender reveals too many.  i bought hex when it was $2, but haven't cracked it open yet.  any reactions to it?

templargfx posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 4:18 PM

LOL,

Milkshape 3D is old-school modelling, but I'm old-school so its all good LOL

1. Place Vertexes
  2. Add Faces
  3. Return to 1 as needed
  4. Add smoothing
  5. Assign Materials
  6. Done

LOL

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:10 PM

WIP# 6

Here is another update to the early 20th century microscope...   Hope Antonia is still about...   Like to know what she thinks so far.. 

tom271 posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:49 PM

@ templargfx:   Thats a nice Urn...     I actually liked the sectional style more than the smooth version...   I wonder how it would look like if you section it into a six sided Urn...  the chinese have vases and pots shaped in sectiions...  very pretty..  

templargfx posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:58 PM

Im going to make a morph to change the urns basic centre shape, as its a lathe object, this is easy.

above is an update to the Plug, pretty much complete, just to get it into poser and create some morphs to change the plug and cable

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:01 PM

Quote - trekkiegrrrl - just a question: do you recommend hex for beginners?  i've poked around at free stuff (wings 3d, blender, animator), but nothing's really clicked so far.  wings3d hides too many affordances and blender reveals too many.  i bought hex when it was $2, but haven't cracked it open yet.  any reactions to it?

I would recommend it yeah. I love Hexagon, it's the only modeling program besides Max (and they're not alike AT ALL, don't worrry) that has EVER made sense to me. In hexagon, I instlled in, watched one of the video tutorials (about how to make a space cow or soemthing) and I was off making stuff...

IMO Hexagon is VERY intuitive and easy to use, while I have never liked Wings (nothing against it, it just never "clicked" with me) and Blender.. I never even (honestly) managed to produce a CUBE with Blender so I de-installed it again...

Hex is simple, yet very powerful.

Oh and Tom271, that microscope looks almost exactely like my first microscope. And while it wasn't 18th century, it still means it looks great :o)

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:05 PM

The thing with plugs is that they're so localized... an amercan plug looks nothing like a danish plug, which looks nothing like an english plug, which looks nothing like an australian.... and so on....

So it's almost impossible to satisfy everybody.

In case anyone wants a danish/northern european version, I have one on my homepage, I made it about a year ago. it has a little bit of cord, too. (easily made longer with for instance Ajax' easypose tube)

tom271 posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:14 PM

Thanks TrekkieGrrrl...    I like to try my hand at a 18th century scope sometimes...  but this is an early 20th century....    This one will go into my old medical instruments collection vault.....   I never tried Hexegon...  and like you,  I couldn't click with Wings or Blender....  I like to try again someday..

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:19 PM

Tom 271.. what are YOU using for your models then? :) Just curious. I really REALLY like that microscope!

tom271 posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:34 PM

@ TrekkieGrrrl..   I use Rhino..v.2 (old version)..   Thanks again..  

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:42 PM

Ah! I kinda thought it looked like rhino :D pats self on shoulder

I tried rhino once, years and years ago but all this newfangled stuff it had at the time made my head spin so I retreated to Max :lol:

SoCalRoberta posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 7:45 PM

templargfx, that urn is great! Exactly what I've been wanting for a long time!

tom271 posted Fri, 12 January 2007 at 11:44 PM

Here is a render of the scope just to see what the whole thing looks like...

templargfx posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 12:22 AM

Very Nice Tom271, I couldnt do better than that (if I could even do that LOL)

The connection on the plug is made up, so it doesnt look like any really LOL

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 1:02 AM

Thank's for your comment I appriciate it... 

*"The connection on the plug is made up, so it doesnt look like any really LOL"

That's a detail that is never looked at...   the whole plug it self is the prop....

I really like that urn...  you should make a few different ones....

I want to also thank you for opening this thread up and giving an opportunity to model stuff for people who like to get ahold of certain props...  

templargfx posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 2:48 AM

I like to model stuff for people.

I have been recriuted to model low res stuff for an indie game group. so my modelling will slow down as I juggle between them and this. but never fear!

check out our in-progress game at www.legendsrpg.com

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 3:21 AM

I could not find a "in-progress game" link.     you'll have to be more specific......   I love playing games too...   I  played half-life for some years and from time to time I made game levels for it......

its a challenge,,,  As a matter of fact, it was the urge to make games and understand 3D, that I came to Renderosity.  I came, learned to model but kept on modeling here and never went back to games....  not yet any way....  I still play on line but I temporarily lost the bug to make in-game content...  one day I'll get bitten again  :)

templargfx posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 5:47 AM

oops, 

www.legendrpg.com

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

AntoniaTiger posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 7:49 AM

Tom, the microscope is looking good, though it's maybe styled a little older than I was thinking of. The slide-mount platform, the stage, looks a little thick and heavy, and maybe ought to have a larger hole. Also, from my recollection of using mirror-type illumination, you have the spacing between the platform and base a little close, and the mirror looks too high, risking being in the shadow of the stage. Now, the rack-and-pinion for focusing. The available movement is downward, and there's no clearance for that. It would depend on which lens you were using on the turret, but I think you need to adjust the mounting arm to get a bit more clearance. It's all subtle stuff, I know, but I think it would just make the difference. Even as it is, I could see it in the world of a Jules Verne adventure, or on the workbench of the Egyptologist who is unwrapping the Wrong Mummy.

tom271 posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 10:44 PM

Let me first say this:   This instrument was made from one photo....   If I had the real thing in front of me or more photos you would have more exactness...  This microscope is an eye ball accurate approximation.. ;-)   Not a precise duplicate copy reproduction

quote:
Tom, the microscope is looking good, though it's maybe styled a little older than I was thinking of.

This could have been remedied had you from the onset told me which type of microscope you wanted..  I sorry we did not communicate.

quote:
*The slide-mount platform, the stage, looks a little thick and heavy, and maybe ought to have a larger hole.

The thinkness and the hole can be made different yes....  but I have seen other scope photos
(of the same time period)  and they are about the same size. The holes are about the width of a lenz.. no bigger,,,  The platform is suppose to be heavy...  maybe mine is just a tad thicker... 
remember these are old microscopes...

quote:
Also, from my recollection of using mirror-type illumination, you have the spacing between the platform and base a little close, and the mirror looks too high, risking being in the shadow of the stage.

You are right about this,  I can do that with no problems...

Quote:
Now, the rack-and-pinion for focusing. The available movement is downward, and there's no clearance for that. It would depend on which lens you were using on the turret, but I think you need to adjust the mounting arm to get a bit more clearance.

There is plenty of movement available here...Up or down...    you may not see it but the scope is able go down more.  I'll have posted a pic for you....  you can see the scope is higher..

Meantime before I change anything, are you going to use this scope?  or are you looking for a more contemporary one..?  I only wished I could have known the style you wanted..

tom271 posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 11:07 PM

here is the scope in the downposition.......  

FYI..  this scope comes with a wooden case, a set of glass slides and extra lenzs...

AntoniaTiger posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 5:41 AM

Oh, I can think of pictures I can use the model in, no problem, just not what I was originally thinking of. Think that Doctor Who story with the kid in a gas mask. As for the proportions, the most recent renders certainly look better. Maybe it's just long-ago school lessons with dire warnings about contacting the slide with the lens. That last grey-scale and the first colour render look short of clearance. (Warning: don't get me started on steam engines.) I seem to have a knack of building a mental 3D model from a picture, and matching things like the throw of a crank to the length of a piston-stroke. Bit of a steam-punk, I am.

tekmonk posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 6:11 AM

cobaltdream probably thinks i forgot all about the cherub LOL... Sorry, just been swamped with work that's all. Anyway, here is where i am so far, still need to add a nose, ears and hair. Also other things like wings and all that. Crude in some places cause i'm trying to keep it relatively light so it can be used multiple times and with other architecture without killing the render time.

Comments / crits most welcome...

kobaltkween posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 12:17 PM

oh my!  that's beautiful!  just perfect!  thank you so much!

tom271 posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 5:28 PM

@tekmonk..  nice face....   I guess I have to admit I don't know what a cherub is?   is it a pendent?

@ Antonia...   I know Dr. Who but I can not remeber the kid in the gas tank....  Steam engines!  I love them...   I had a mind to model one...  but I can not wrap my head around all the details it has..  I wish I could find detail skematic drawings along with photographs.. I give it a seriously thought..
Do you model now..?

RedHawk posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 6:52 PM

Quote -  ....   I guess I have to admit I don't know what a cherub is?   is it a pendent?

Think Cupid.....chubby little baby angel-type things.....

<-insert words of wisdom here->

Neyjour posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 8:33 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that microscope looks magnificent!  Awesome modelling tom271!  😄

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

kobaltkween posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 9:09 PM

oh, i think the microscope looks great, too.  for cherub references, see the links i posted on the first page of this thread.  if you just look up cherubs in general, you'll probably see more of the full body ones than this particular type, which is just a head, hair and wings. 

tekmonk posted Mon, 15 January 2007 at 1:09 AM

A bit more...

tom271 posted Mon, 15 January 2007 at 2:29 AM

Oh okay.... I've seen a few...... he  coughs!

BastBlack posted Mon, 15 January 2007 at 2:08 PM

This is a great thread. Enjoying watching the cool model making. ^^ bB

tom271 posted Tue, 16 January 2007 at 8:24 PM

@ AntoniaTiger:    Hi!  sorry you have not seen any further progress....  I just have a few family pending things and then after I'll finish the prop for you.....

Tom

ThrommArcadia posted Tue, 16 January 2007 at 11:20 PM

Great work guys!  Wonderful ideas.

tom271 posted Thu, 18 January 2007 at 11:07 PM

@ AntoniaTiger:  I have your microscope ready...  sorry for the delay....    I will give you the box later..

we need to find a way to get it to you I don't have a website that will host it.... 

kobaltkween posted Thu, 18 January 2007 at 11:18 PM

i believe that planit3d is willing to host most poser freebies.

tekmonk posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:33 AM

Still working at it in whatever mouthfuls of free time i get... Should be finished in a couple more days. As a bonus I  also did a Lil' devil.

tom271 posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 3:10 AM

@**cobaltdream:  ** yes they do but how do I get it to them if I can not mail it......  I wrote them and they should get back with a solution hopefully...  I have been needing a model hosting site anyway so I got to find my own as well...

@tekmonk:  really great heads..... Maybe might have to pick your brain later in a problem If I can not solve it my self.. 

AntoniaTiger posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 3:49 AM

There's no hurry, Tom, RL is being a bitch at the moment. I know some people are using various free-download-hosting sites. I don't have any URLs to hand to suggest but, from the end-user point of view, they seem to work well. How big is the file, anyway? I can cope with some pretty big email attachments if there's no other choice.

AntoniaTiger posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:01 AM

Quote - @ Antonia...   I know Dr. Who but I can not remeber the kid in the gas tank....  Steam engines!  I love them...   I had a mind to model one...  but I can not wrap my head around all the details it has..  I wish I could find detail skematic drawings along with photographs.. I give it a seriously thought..

The particular Doctor Who episodes are a two-parter from 2005, The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. Picked up a Hugo Award. The gas mask in that isn't a close copy of any of the WW2 civilian masks, but there are plenty of pictures on the web. Technically, the only all-british satellite launch was by steam engine. Hydrogen peroxide decomposes to steam and oxygen.

kobaltkween posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:13 AM

those heads are absolutely beautiful.

many of the free upload sites install spyware.  you have to be careful about which one you use.  

tekmonk posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 5:13 AM

@tom271 : Thanks, and that was really nice work on the microscope. I suck at doing mechanical stuff so it's always inspiring to see someone pull it off as quickly as you do :)

About the missing surfaces, i dunno what to tell you. Usually my modelling app gets along with poser but in the odd problem running it through wings 3d seems to help. Maybe try importing and exporting from that (OBJ) ?

@cobaltdream : Glad you like em !

AntoniaTiger posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 7:03 AM

Just loading into and saving from UVmapper seems to sort out some problems. Poser seems quite strict about what it will accept.

AntoniaTiger posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 7:06 AM

Quote - many of the free upload sites install spyware.  you have to be careful about which one you use.  

That's the first I've heard of that, and I know several reputable Poser model creators who have used them for freebies. But I am pretty well loaded up with protective software, and not using Internet Explorer, so maybe the sneaky bastards are getting blocked without me noticing. Anyway, I'm running a coupld of system scans.

tekmonk posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 7:14 AM

I know megaupload tries to install a toolbar into firefox. Rapidshare and sendspace seem clean though. I'v used them in the past and besides them limiting dowloads for free users, they dont seem to have any other issues.

tom271 posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 9:28 AM

running it through UV mapper..?  

tom271 posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 12:41 PM

I got it to work...    I had to explode the whole thing in sections test for normals and put it all back plus rebuild part of the base.....  So... AntoniaTiger as soon as I get a site to upload the scope you can download it....

SoCalRoberta posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:04 PM

Attached Link: https://www.mediamax.com/home/signup_mediamax.aspx?CMP=KNC-GoogMediaMax&gclid=CNjExZu59YkCFRQfggodsh5eWg

I highly reccomend MediaMax. No ads, no pop- ups. I have a paid storage site here for my freebies, but they offer free accounts as well.

Barrelhaus posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:13 PM

Morgan Webb?
No wait! How about a baby's arm holding an apple!

"Have you ever made a just man?"
"Oh, I have made three," answered God,
"But two of them are dead,
"And the third--
"Listen! Listen!
"And you will hear the thud of his defeat."

-Stephen Crane

tom271 posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 9:49 PM

I'm trying mediamax but there seems to be a problem navigating to and around their server...   could be just temporary thing or their severs are jammed all the time....   lol...

I'll try again...

tom271 posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 10:02 PM

Attached Link: Mediamax

I keep getting an error in " unable to validate certificate...etc......"  I'll keep trying...

templargfx posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:52 PM

feel free to email it to me : jamesdickinson -=AT=- netspace -=DOT=- net -=DOT=- au

I have about 20 meg free unlimited bandwidth storage area I can put it on for you. it allows direct links too

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

templargfx posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:57 PM

Oh, I havent forgotten about the models either, LegendRPG is taking up alot of my time at late (first alpha is out for us to test) but once we move to the next stage things will slow down on my side enough for me to put some proper effort into the rest of the models.  the Urn is all but complete (just needs some final poser tweaking) and the powerpoint is done too. Ill try my best to package them up when I get home.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 12:44 AM

Read my lips.....   If I could e-mail it to you I would just e-mail it to Antonia.....  Although I do need to post it for other people......   I need an ftp or some kind of upload to make it available...  I'm still working on it..  Thank you for the offer....   ;)

templargfx posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 1:59 AM

ok, do you want to log into my ftp account and upload it yourself? if so, contact me via IM

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:15 AM

Uh.. Why can't you email it btw? If it's space on your email client (limit of attachements ect.) May I suggest gmail? I have loads of invites left if you need one

tom271 posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:29 AM

Attached Link: microscope @ savefiles website

@ templargfx:  Thank you... I might take you on...

@TrekkieGrrrl:  it is over 6MB....   I use mail forwarding from Mail.com. to my internet provider RCN.    I can change my ISP and not have to worry about my e-mail name.. 
So.. one of those guys is limiting my attachments...  I think it is RCN...

I broke down and used Savefiles.com...  They are slowwwww...  If It is too slow I will then take templargfx's offer....    could you see if the link works please...

AntoniaTiger posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:51 AM

Downloading now, though at the speed of a dialup connection. It does seem to be a slow site. I'll let you know how things come out.

tom271 posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 5:11 AM

OKay  I just forgot to reduce the microscope.   very important thing for those who like to conserve  Ram...     The scope was, unwrapped, 42,563.976 bytes.  

I reduced it down to 8,999.336 bytes.. much better...    In a rar file it is 1,859.873bytes

If you want the lighter one you may have it as well....  This pic is in Poser 7....

tom271 posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 5:36 AM

...and so it goes.......

SoCalRoberta posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 9:45 PM

tom271, did you sign up for the free account? You need that to upload.

tom271 posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:38 AM

Yes I did...  and I don't think you have to sign up to up-load.....  

If you don't you might be restricted and not allow to delete your previous files till they do after a certain time.... 

did you download my scope??   do you want a lighter one? 

I reduced it down to 8,999.336 bytes..  from 50 plus MB...

templargfx posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 6:16 AM

that site is terrible LOL, I will host it on my site once its downloaded here.

I'll run it through polytrans for you to see if we cant lighten it up a little more. Polytrans has some of the best poly reduction options I've ever used!

4KB per second!!!!!! OH this is painful

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

AntoniaTiger posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 6:47 AM

OK, here's my thoughts. 1: Definitely too many polygons to be really practical. 2: Scale: Poser models are small, compared to the output from most modelling software. I don't have a good figure for the real thing, but something like 15 to 20 inches, top to bottom, would look OK. This would by a y_value range of about 0.2 in Poser, or a little less. 3: Materials: I shall have to work on this, as there seem to be too many materials; A good many of them could simply be something like "Brass". 4: Poser prefers quads to triangles. I haven't checked the UV-mapping yet, but I'm particularly interested in how the microscope slide and the other glass bits are handled. It's a better model than I could have made, but it's a bit lacking for Poser, which has its own idiosyncracies.

tom271 posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:14 AM

2: Scale: Poser models are small, compared to the output from most modelling software. I don't have a good figure for the real thing, but something like 15 to 20 inches, top to bottom, would look OK. This would by a y_value range of about 0.2 in Poser, or a little less.

Poser has a scaler...  It imports in big but you can resize it...

3: Materials: I shall have to work on this, as there seem to be too many materials; A good many of them could simply be something like "Brass".*
Well thats the whole business about texturing models.....  the microscope is 90% metal and the base could be what ever you want...

4: Poser prefers quads to triangles.
*The microscope works fine in Poser...  it is just heavy... 

I have already said... I downsized the microscope from 42mb to about 9mb bytes.. and I partitioned it better... ...    I will upload the new microscope and then templargfx can host it...   If it is okay with him...  I'll let you know.... I'll post the link...    I'm new to Poser so I was not prepared to deal with its peculiarities...  I'm learning... 

kobaltkween posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:20 PM

i know i'm not the original requester, but thanks for the microscope!  it looks lovely.  i generally like more materials rather than less.  but i have shader spider and can create groups of materials.  i think i'll wait till templargfx hosts it to download it, but i'm looking forward to using it.  if i do, i'll let you know.

templargfx posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 4:14 PM

ok, I ended up leaving it downloading overnight, it finally got there, but I did not have time before work to do anything with it.

weighing in at 40+ meg uncompressed, and having over 260,000 polygons its certainly a heavy model!  of course for myself this isnt a problem, my computer can handle 2.4 million polygons in zbrush without even slowing down a little. BUT, I did have a quick play in polytrans before I left work. without even tweaking the settings, I got the model down to under 150,000 polygons, and I am sure I can get it down to less if needed.

What I will do for you is create a lower res version, and host both the full poly version released by Tom and the reduced version that I output from polytrans!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tekmonk posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 7:09 PM

@tom271 : Great model but it seems to have fallen prey to Rhino's NURBS to poly convertor. NURBS are great for apps that support them natively but they dont transfer to polys very well. So you could also include an IGES version that apps with NURBS can use directly.

tom271 posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 8:12 PM

*@tom271 : Great model but it seems to have fallen prey to Rhino's NURBS to poly convertor. NURBS are great for apps that support them natively but they dont transfer to polys very well. So you could also include an IGES version that apps with NURBS can use directly.

*I knew it would not take long before someone got into my NURBS....   ;)
for the 4th time there is nothing wrong with the scope.  If I had a place to host my models I would be able to end this "heavy scope" problem...  I got a lighter one already to go...   Just can not host it for you to download...  Thank you all for your patience and support....

templargfx posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:33 PM

Fear not TOM, I can reduce the polycount, and still host both. just look up polytrans, its an awesome (and expensive) application, I reduce V3 by nearly 50% and still have her look the same in renders LOL (sure she doesnt morph quite as well LOL)

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

tom271 posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 3:11 AM

@templargfx:  I send you an IM......

I'm sure V3 looked just as new... lol

tekmonk posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 11:42 AM

tekmonk posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 12:08 PM

Small update to bump since i wasn't entirely happy with it...

tom271 posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 6:47 AM

Beautiful heads you did....    I guess I have seen these in plaster up on ceilings in old English bedrooms in museum...

tom271 posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 9:40 AM

I decided to buy some hosting with 1&1.com..   I don't get get the 100gb only 5gb but it holds me only for one year not two...  and it's $1.50/month for the first 6months and $2.99/mth  for the next 6..
All about $27.00 for the first year..  $35.00 a year thereafter...   Plus a host of other free stuff..
So by Saturday  (hopefully)  I should have a host web site to upload my models.. 

This has been a learning experience for me...

tom271 posted Sun, 28 January 2007 at 6:51 AM

Attached Link: my new site (WIP)

Update: I finally got a site and I just need to put up a link...   My website construction is very rusty so I'm trying to recap....

Quote from templargfx: 
*Fear not TOM, I can reduce the polycount, and still host both. just look up polytrans, its an awesome (and expensive) application, I reduce V3 by nearly 50% and still have her look the same in renders LOL (sure she doesnt morph quite as well LOL)

*@ templargfx:   Hi, I send you an IM a while ago and never heard from you...  did you downloaded  the model..?    are you hosting the scope...?  can I have the link if you are... ?   did you give Antonia a copy? 
questions..  questions.. questions...

tom271 posted Mon, 29 January 2007 at 12:05 PM

The files are self evident,,  I made available three files:
two 3DS files and one obj file..  
The obj file is a little over 8MB and the 3ds is less then 2MB each.  Some feel that triangle mesh is better suited for Poser than quads, so I complied....  The obj file is quad but I can get you a tri..

www.newhawksfull-moon.com/Microscope_3ds_quads.rar

www.newhawksfull-moon.com/Microscope_3ds_triangle.rar

www.newhawksfull-moon.com/Microscope_obj_file.rar