Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Looking for drunk animations

nabob21 opened this issue on Feb 04, 2007 · 10 posts

nabob21 posted Sun, 04 February 2007 at 8:52 PM

Hello,

I am trying to work on an animation sequence featuring a run down alley type of scene with winos and other street people, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a drunk/stumbling walking animation that I could use. (The scene takes place in an unsavory type of environment). I have tried modifying some of the walking sequences that came with poser for the walk designer, but I am new to this whole animation bit and I I am not yet very good at it. I am also looking for animations that would have characters drinking from bottles ( I have had slightly better success at this but still not good), weaving while standing in place etc. Other more everyday type of things such as eating, putting on a coat etc would also be useful as well). I am hoping that by using these pre-made animations I can finish my animation sequence, but more importantly see just how they are done so that I can learn to construct my own animations in the future.

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for any replies.

nabob21

Miss Nancy posted Sun, 04 February 2007 at 9:10 PM

SantaMonicaStudios and HouseOFMoves come to mind, re: drunk walks. oops, looks like the former is defunct.

QuarterBond posted Sun, 04 February 2007 at 10:19 PM

es3d.com has some good motion capture poses too.

nabob21 posted Sun, 04 February 2007 at 11:09 PM

Thank you for the replies Miss Nancy and QuarterBond.

Miss Nancy, do you know if the HouseOfMoves content are Poser format or are they BVH files? and if the latter, are there any tutorials that you know of to show how to use BVH files in Poser?

Thanks for any further replies.

nabob21

dphoadley posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 1:04 AM

Gerald Day has some drunk poses for the P4 Male (Dork).  They're FREE, and should be easilyadaptable to any other figure, especially in P7.  His link is: www.fast3d.co.uk
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Miss Nancy posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 2:48 PM

all the stuff I have is bvh files, nab, including house of moves,SMS and esd. I dunno any tutorials, other than using the file/import bvh motion command. I just looked at the HOM and SMS drunk files, and they use non-standard body part names (for poser, at least).

svdl posted Sun, 11 February 2007 at 5:38 PM

Actually, the non-standard body part names are no problem. Poser applies the root body part settings of the BVH file to the root body part of the currently selected figure and ignores the names.
Some things might go wrong though. If your Poser figure has buttocks, and the BVH file does not, the thigh information ends up in the buttocks, shins in thighs, and feet in shins. The character then probably will walk like a polio victim...

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Miss Nancy posted Sun, 11 February 2007 at 6:15 PM

what i got, using the free homer simpson model and HOM or SMS, was the errors saying "body part not found" or similar, then I applied it anway, and the arms stuck straight out. I could tell the walk itself was good, but in simpson's case the legs crossed into each other, and the feet twisted around (regardless of IK). editing the bvh file to change the names helped the arms a bit, but the legs were still pretty bad. simpson is a buttox-free P3-like model.

svdl posted Sun, 11 February 2007 at 6:21 PM

Then the problem is that the BVH file has MORE bones than the model. Poser reads the data and can't find a bone to apply the data to.
Usually P4 models (Posette and Dork) have enough bones to accept everything from a BVH file. I have applied quite a few BVH files (there's literally hundreds of thousands of them free on the Web, and I do mean officially legitimally free!) to Posette, Judy, V3/M3. 
Almost always they require cleanup, especially at feet and toes, often at the hands and arms too.I often write dedicated Python scripts for the cleanup, I don't want to clean up 1200 frames by hand....

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Miss Nancy posted Sun, 11 February 2007 at 7:32 PM

yep, turns out the SMS drunk walk works pretty good with a regular poser model. minimal cleanup, and thanks to ockham for the "drop to floor" script. the simpson model will need some tweaking to work right.