Forum: Photography

Subject: Canon 400d with Tamron AF 18-200mm lens opinions needed

Boofy opened this issue on Mar 06, 2007 · 7 posts

Boofy posted Tue, 06 March 2007 at 5:22 PM

Hi all.

I hope to have a new camera soon, I am upgrading from a Canon A95 Powershot now I'm looking at the canon 400d with a Tamron AF 18-200mm XR Di zoom lens any commens on the viability of this combo would would be great. I had thought of the twin lens kit or a pair of better lenses but changing lenses all the time when I shake from transplant drugs is a recipe for disaster!!!

I like the mix of manual and auto modes as I am not yet advanced enough to go totally manual. iThe camera seems to fit my hand well and the Tamron lens seems to be well balanced with it., although it is a bit heavier than my A95 (and it is within my budget).

It is also good that I know the software and know that my temperamental pc at least tolerates it as well.

Reviews that I have read are mixed so I thought I would ask here.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks.
Jenny

Nameless_Wildness posted Tue, 06 March 2007 at 5:33 PM

400D...a great dslr....not a lover of Tamron though!

Sans2012 posted Tue, 06 March 2007 at 6:17 PM

As far as the 400D goes, its a great camera, Ive had one for about 5 months, only complaint is the dust reduction hardware & software do next to nothing. And I see this as a big problem because its a buy word Canon used to suck me in:)

I'm not sure about the Tamron gear either. You’re definitely looking at a good starter focal length range. 18-200 would be plenty to get you going. I would suggest going down the local camera shop and trying a few lenses on a 400D body.

Tip: I good entering point into the manual modes is to start out with AV mode, its one of the most effective and easy to use modes on any SLR. You will find that a lot of photographers shoot in this mode, OK if you’re doing action and the like maybe TV. But for the most part you’ll find working in AV mode the easiest and hassle free. Dont go straight for full manual mode, this can lead to serious brain injury:)

Good luck and let us know how you go.

-Michael

I never intended to make art.

Boofy posted Tue, 06 March 2007 at 6:22 PM

Thanks Nameless Wilderness for your prompt feedback. Can you give me any indication on what you dislike about Tamron and would you know of a similar lens in another brand that would suit? Jen

Onslow posted Wed, 07 March 2007 at 12:22 AM

I think you would be very pleased with this set up.

Any lens that has a range from 18 - 200 has to compromise, and the Tamron one is no different.  However it has many advantages too, one of which you have already mentioned. The Tamron lenses I have seen have been good quality and can produce good results.

There are some members here who use this lens: Nathalie is one who uses it as a travel lens taking it all over the world.  Perhaps she could give you a guide to its strengths and weaknesses.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Nameless_Wildness posted Wed, 07 March 2007 at 2:14 AM

Didnt say I hate them, just mean personally, not for me and I wouldnt buy one.
Checked out the lens...at the 200mm end its  f6.3, sorry, but not fast enough for my liking,  but might suit you as an introduction :)

As Richard mentions, with such a focal range, has to compromise.

Jim

inshaala posted Wed, 07 March 2007 at 7:40 AM

i havent any experience with any tamron lens, nor the 400D. But i hear it had a few weening problems when it first came out - people were complaining of weird noise and output from the sensor on these very forums as i remember it. Not to say you shouldnt get one, but use the store return policy without any qualms, should you find it isnt up to scratch.

i moved to a dslr (30D - so it was rather a large leap 😉) from the A95 and found that all i really needed was the kit lens and a macro lens to continue doing what i liked doing best.  But if you want medium telephoto ability then i suppose that 200mm will do you good.  I have the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM and found that i never used my telephoto (i have a 70-300mm that saw its first outing in about 6 months for the eclipse) for the shots i did before i got hooked on my two prime lenses. Obviously a lot of changing lenses is involved shooting with primes, but before i did that the 17-85 never really left my camera, and if you are a bit on the shaky side the IS is a lifesaver!

As Michael said, go into the shop and try some of the other lenses out and see what you think...

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography