Forum: Photography

Subject: Professional SELECTIVE COLORING Tip To All Rosity Photographers

nattarious opened this issue on Mar 24, 2007 · 43 posts

nattarious posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 2:41 PM

Hello To All...

I did upload the same tutorial yesterday under the photography tutorials section, and hopefully it will be reviewed from one of the stuff soon..

So i thought to post it again here as well for all my friends and all the photographers/renderosity members who really need to know a big SELECTIVE Coloring TIP for Digital Photography.

Before i start, i want to say, there are many people/friends asked me how i do my SELECTIVE Coloring so fast and the results are so professional. And i was also totally surprised when i knew that many of my friends/members does the Selective Coloring by Duplicating the original COLOURED image, transforming the top layer into black and white and then they use the eraser to erase the un-wanted areas to leave the colour(s) they want!

OMG!! Noooooooooooooooooo... You don't have to go through all this again.. Here are some 5 easy steps, and by practice i bet you will be able to do it in less then a MINUTE!!!

So lets start and see here:

Step 1: Run your photoshop and open any image you want to work with.. I used this one here, and you can download it and start with it as a sample piece

I am using Adobe Photoshop CS2 ME and this tutorial works on photoshop 6.X, 7.X, 8.0 and 9.X as well on CS3.. Here i opened my image under CS2 ME edition

Step 2: I want you duplicate your background by pressing CONTROL+J on your keyboard or just goto the Layer Menu and then Duplicate Layer [Should Be The Second Option] just like this here:

Step 3: Make sure that the Duplicated Layer is selected [High Lighted] in your layers menu on the right . Now goto  to your  SELECT menu from the  top  menu  bar, and  choose COLOR RANG the Color Range menu will pop [APPEAR] like showing in step 4.

Step 4: Now i used Fuzziness setting of 150 you can do the same or choose between 120-150
Lets follow these steps first and when you are done you can start to mess around with your own shots/pics. In the COLOR RANGE menu only you have to change the Fuzziness. Leave that little window open and drag your mouse over the  opened image.

You will notice an eye dropper. Point that Colour Eye Dropper to a dark BLUE piece from the model's jeans and click a single click on your mouse left button. [You will notince that your photoshop foreground colour changed to blue on the left tool bar] now you can click ok.

By clicking OK, you just made a selection. You will see it clearly on Layer1 the duplicated  image...

Step 5: Now from the Layers Menu on the right as shown below, make sure the duplicated [SELECTED] layer is high lighted. At the bottom of that layers window you will see some Small Icons they should be 6 icons in photoshop 6 and 7 and 7 icons under 8 and above.

Now click on the little gray square with an inner white circle, that will allow you to create a VECTOR MASK. By clicking that button will see a masked layer next to the duplicated one [Like A Negative Photo]. And the selection will disappear from the image. Look at the shot below please:

Final Step: Choose or highlight the original Background from your layers menu as shown in the next screen shot. Now here is what will surprise you.

Goto your Image menu from the menu bar then > adjustments > hue/saturation.. or just by clicking CONTROL+U on your keyboard [Sorry I Love To Use Short Cuts :P] anyways, the Hue/Saturation menu will pop on your screen. Now all you have to do is, move the Saturation little pointer/arrow all the way to the left that will make it -100. Done!!!

See! You now are done, fast, easy, and pro results/output! Also before playing with the hue/saturation setting, you can follow the same steps as mentioned again and again on the same image if you want to create multiple selective coloring on your image!

Hope that was clear and easy, i know that my English is not that good tho.. But at least i tried my best and shared something you all might need

Thank you in advance for all the comments/reviews and now enjoy **NATTARIOUS[C] COLOURS And Secrets

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It