Forum: Vue

Subject: Anyone have good methods for animating handheld camera?

HORNO opened this issue on Mar 28, 2007 · 4 posts

HORNO posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 7:44 PM

I'm looking to get that Battlestar Galactica hand-hled documentary camera look into my animations.  Does anyone have a good process that they use to get a shaky camera effect like this?  Step by step process would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.  hope I'm not too vague in what I'm asking for. 

impish posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 5:57 AM

You don't say which version of Vue your using (which does make a difference to the answer)

Sorry I can't give you a step by step but I've done this by adding some vibration to the camera animation using Vue's animation toolbox and varied the amplitude of the vibration over time to simulate variations in the external sources of vibration such as the camera operator running and heavy vehicles passing by.

Hope it gives you a starting point to find a way to achieve what you want to.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

HORNO posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 4:23 PM

Oh, yeah.... Vue 6.  Thank you for your help.  I'll give it a try and see what the results bring.  I know my question is quite broad considering the different types of movements possible.  I just wanted to see if anyone has written a good tutorial on how to achieve realistic movements. 

replicand posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 7:49 PM

One of the Big 3 apps has a script which randomizes keyframes through a multiplier applied (in this case) to the camera's translation. I know nothing about python, but should not be difficult to create.