Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 6 and Toon-style Renders?

Acadia opened this issue on Apr 10, 2007 · 14 posts

Acadia posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 10:01 AM

I haven't been able to explore many of the advanced features of Poser prior to now, but I thought Poser had the ability to do a render in a cartoon-type style. I see "sketch", but no cartoon.

scratches head in confusion

Can Poser do cartoon-style renders?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Victoria_Lee posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 10:32 AM

Cartoon styles are done with shaders, Acadia.  There might be some in the free stuff here and I know there are some over at RDNA.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Acadia posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 10:41 AM

Thanks :)  That sure explains the ugly black outline that I was getting around what would otherwise be a normal looking render.

I found something by SnowSultan for V3 so I'll give that a try :)

Thanks again.

Miss Nancy posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 2:51 PM

P7 can do toon renders, in a manner of speaking. Materials/Wacros/Set up toon render. it differs significantly from "cartoon-with-line" display. in P6, olivier's shaders may act similarly to the P7 toon render settings, but I ain't certain.

Acadia posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 7:03 PM

Attached Link: http://www.ebonshire.net/freebies/p5-1.php

In addition to SnowSultan's toon morphs I found some cartoon shaders while looking for some anime hair.

Now to figure out how to use all this stuff,  LOL

Nancy, I have Poser 6 which has something about cartoon in the render settings but all that does is make a black outline around the figure.  Quite ugly actually, hehe  Not really sure why someone would want to use that option.

raven posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 7:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2885157&ebot_calc_page#message_2885157

You can turn the outline off in the render options if you want and still get a semi-toon look. The linked thread shows a P7 toon render I did, which should be doable in P6 too.

Miss Nancy posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 8:36 PM

one tip on inking (or black outlines) in P5/6/7: they are gonna look pretty bad in a small render, but if the render is 2400X3200 e.g., when saved as jpeg in photoshop at 600X800, the lines are gonna look alot smoother. use the ink layer as a multiplying layer over the unlined, coloured render in photoshop.

ezuk posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 11:30 PM

There are a few toon shaders that come free with Poser 6.  Look in the Sixus 1 folder under the material tab in your Poser 6 directory (I think that they are meant to go with the Alphaman / Betaboy character).  I like how they pick up contours and shading, though the outline is rather uninviting, in my opinion.  The colours are limited, but these are easy to change.  You may want to experiment with these in addition to the free ones you found.  And good luck!

Jimdoria posted Wed, 11 April 2007 at 11:30 AM

Also, look around for toon shading tutorials. There are quite a few of them, here and elsewhere.
BTW, I was gonna post this in its own thread, but never got around to it, partly because I didn't think I could do justice to the subject.
There's a fairly new app that just came out of beta called Filter Forge. It's a Photoshop plugin that lets you create your own filters. It uses a node-based system that is quite similar to the shader system used by Poser. I downloaded the beta, but never really got to play with it. Now it's out of beta and muy expensivo - $300. However, people who use it to create popular filters can get it for free. Check out the site link, as it's a cool piece of tech anyway you slice it.
I'm not a big photoshop user, but what caught my attention about this program was the "comic book" filter someone had created with it. I'll save 1000 words here and just show you why:

**Original Image:------------**Comic Book Filter Applied:
--------------

You can see more variations on the page for the filter:
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/227.html
I wanted to see how it would do on Poser renders. Never got around to testing it, though. :sad:

Miss Nancy posted Wed, 11 April 2007 at 12:46 PM

it's interesting, jim. appears to be a combination of "poster edges" and some permutations on "find edges".

Acadia posted Wed, 11 April 2007 at 5:58 PM

It seems the answer is in Raven's thread link and involves going to the material room and clicking "set up toon render". It's doable in Poser 6 :)  I will still try the shaders that I found for more variety though.

Acadia posted Tue, 05 February 2008 at 1:19 PM

Since this thread is linked to the Shaders Bookmark thread under "Cartoons", I'm going to add Mapps' information about his cartoon shaders here.

Attached Link: Mapps_268_Materials
Here is a direct download link (just figured out how to do it)

Attached Link: Mapps_54_New_Mats
Here is the expansion

Attached Link: Mapps_MTC_Poses&Mats
Here is the 3rd one.  Also includes some poses for M2 and V3

Attached Link: page 1
Previews

Attached Link: page 2
More previews

sixus1 posted Tue, 05 February 2008 at 2:14 PM

Here is the readme that went out with the original toon shaders when we released them....for anyone that is interested in using them.

bevans84 posted Tue, 05 February 2008 at 2:51 PM

> Quote - It seems the answer is in Raven's thread link and involves going to the material room and clicking "set up toon render". It's doable in Poser 6 :)  I will still try the shaders that I found for more variety though.

Shift-click to apply to all materials in each object. Doing this will also set "Toon Outline" in your render options. Unchecking this box in your render settings will turn off the black outline.
Lighting is critical, it takes a little practice-- as you can see, I'm not very good at it yet. :-)