Forum: Carrara

Subject: I could really use some help with modelling.

Axyun opened this issue on Jun 03, 2007 ยท 12 posts

Axyun posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 5:33 PM

The following post is a bit long, but please hear me out.

For many years I've been a silent visitor to the Renderosity Carrara forums (and recently, the Hexagon forums) hoping to slowly build up some knowledge and technique on 3D modelling and rendering and eventually produce some decent results of my own. I've been following Carrara's progress since the days it was called Ray Dream Studio and have bought just about every version of the progam since RDS 5.0. Time and time again I try to devote myself to learning how to use the modeller so that I can start making some progress. Unfortunately, I always end up disappointed with my lack of progress.

My problem is not learning how the tools work. I've bought some training CDs, books, practiced with tutorials, etc. etc. I know how the different modellers (vertex, spline, etc.) work. I know how to lathe and extrude. I know how to weld, decimate, soften and crease edges, place and position items, group objects, and so forth and so on. My problem is that every time I think up of something relatively simple that I want to model, I have absolutely no idea how to approach it.

I have no technique.

I attempt to approach the shape through different means (box modelling, primites, free-hand lines, etc.) and I only get something that somewhat resembles what I had hoped to achieve. I find tutorials that show how to model a similar shape, and I achieve my results by following their instructions but I always wonder "how exactly did they know to approach this project in this fashion?" When I'm left to my own devices, for some reason I find modelling to be extremely exhausting. Its like no matter what I do, I just can't achieve the results I'm looking for.

For example, recently I tried to model a simple key pad (10 buttons plus an enter key) similar to what you would find in a sci-fi corridor doorway. I searched the web for some ideas and, knowing my limitations due to lack of experience, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I get to modelling and eventually end up with something that somewhat resembles a key pad but looks positively fake, uninspired, symetrical and rigid. I then turn to the incredible work that some of the people here put out using Carrara and can't help but feel amazed and discouraged at the same time.

Ultimately, my question is: how did you get good with modelling? Obviously, practice goes a long way, but I want to know how you learned to start your projects, what modelling techniques do you primarily use, how did you learn these techniques and where? Did you go to some formal training or did you learn everything by yourselft? Do you start your projects with simple shapes and refine them or do you craft each individual shape to perfection before moving on to the next shape?

I don't pretend to be an artist but I figured if I atleast have some reference material, I should be able to output some decent results. Sadly, this isn't the case. I really want to know how I can move to the next step up. Like I said, I know how the tools work but I have no technique. Any advise you can give me, no matter how small, will be greatly appreciated.