Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: A Name Too Far

Morgano opened this issue on Jun 15, 2007 · 64 posts

Morgano posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 6:29 PM

Tristan for A3???    What are we going to get next?   Presumably, Thor for V4 is already in the pipeline, along with Casanova for A3 and Rocky for the G2 Women.  I thought Sydney was a pretty silly name for the P7 lady;   I think that that was "inspired" by a particular TV series (but it's still daft).

I must say that I've nothing against the "Tristan" set, beyond its idiotic name.  I have acres of Aikos whom I barely use nowadays, so I am not tempted by this new one.   Apart from the name, though,  "Tristan" looks great.

XENOPHONZ posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 6:48 PM

Well and roundly spake Sir Tristram, as he smote about him both on the right hand and on the left:

"Thou shalt not abscond mine name for thy foul purposes, maugre thine head!  For I wilt hie thee off to Copyright Court!"

And thence came out all they of the Castle, astonied at the battle that followed therewith; to behold upon them what terrible deeds and mighty shouldst transpire in the nounce.

"So that - that - and THAT to thee!  Thou base fellow!" cried Sir Tristram.  I allow not thy great folly against my mien!  I forbid such abuse!  For thou are but a churl, and no true knight!"

And thus did Sir Tristram, noble of knighhood: encompass and defend his name and his honour, that it be not put to nought and to black use with nay permission to knaves.

(With apologies to Sir Thomas Malory)

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

jonthecelt posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 6:57 PM

:giggles at xeno: Oh, that hit the spot... thanks, mate! :)

JonTheCelt

Jumpstartme2 posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 8:21 PM

Whats wrong with the name Tristan? Actually you take one letter off that name and you have my oldest daughters name, and I seriously dont think it would be idiotic.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

XENOPHONZ posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:05 PM

Quote - :giggles at xeno: Oh, that hit the spot... thanks, mate! :)

JonTheCelt

😉

ockham posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:09 PM

Great bit of parody, Xeno, and thought-provoking.  

A pretty pass we've come to indeed ...  the notion of defending the 
honor of the family name, which formerly helped to control wayward 
youngsters, is long gone.  

Now the only names we defend are the names of digital characters.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

pakled posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:22 PM

As long as I can get Isolde for V3..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

cyberscape posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:43 PM

and Pakled, whenever I finish my free character pack you'll be able to get  "Ram'slutte for V3"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

Conniekat8 posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 10:35 PM

That's it, if I ever make a character morph, I'm not naming it!
Maybe I'l just giv'em serial numbers! ;)

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

ockham posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 10:56 PM

Nope, numbers won't help unless you get into 8 or 9 digits.  
Most of the "memorable" numbers like 1234 or 999 are
already trademarked!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

jjroland posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 1:25 AM

Yah my daughters name is Sydne and I rather like it too...

On the other hand I think names like Bert and Homer are kinda goofy;  Im also not a big fan of bell  bottoms or platform shoes.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

Morgano posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:26 AM

I am guessing that Pakled's reference to Isolde has cleared certain people's heads by several thousand feet (especially that of jumpstartme2).   Tristan is male, Isolde female.   It's a very famous love story.   I'd say that "Tristan for A3"  makes as much sense as "Romeo for A3", but I suspect that that would be lost on certain of the contributors above, too.   "Juliet" for Apollo, anyone?  

I wonder if jumpstartme2's daughter is called "Trista"?   The Portuguese word "triste", which isn't pronounced all that differently, means "miserable".   Odd choice.

And jjroland, if you will insist on naming your daughters after cities in Australia, may I recommend Adelaide?   It did, at least, start out as a girl's name (wife of William IV) and there's even a song by Beethoven with the same name, although I suspect he had a different Adelaide in mind.

Jumpstartme2 posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 3:48 AM

Actually, it didn't go over my head..I just happen to see nothing wrong about the name and the gender its connected to. Also, depending on where one is in the world, Tristan might possibly be a females name.

Trista has 9 variant forms: Tristan, Tristana, Tristen, Tristin, Tristina, Tristyn, Trysta, Trystan and Trystin.

Maybe we can talk the creator into slapping an extra 'a' on that name so we can sleep :laugh:

~Jani

Anniebel posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 4:20 AM

Name genders are changing, I have a niece called Charlie ;-)

Also, personally I like Sydney as a girls name, but the name has more connotations as a city rather than a boys name for me, living just south of said city LOL

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

SGT2005 posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 4:27 AM

hmm..sydne  is a cool name. A city in australia?  no  Morgano thats "Sydney" . I like the name trista
too. I picked Sara  no "h"  more uncommon in a name.

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

Jumpstartme2 posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 4:29 AM

Quote - personally I like Sydney as a girls name

Me too 😄

As far as gender/name stuff goes, just before my sister was born, they thought they were having a boy, so had the name Charles picked out...when they discoved she was a she..they just added and switched some letters, and now she is Charlsie ;)

~Jani

kalon posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 4:45 AM

Well, ten years ago, my eighty-two year old Aunt Sidney passed away. So Sidney (Sydney) as a girl is not a recent occurence.

Personally, I'm holding out for Lothario for S3.  :biggrin:

kalonart.com

SGT2005 posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 4:52 AM

Trstan though could be a male name and why not jodi as a boys name that has been used before.

I like that too Jumpy, "Charlsie". Not a common name and Unique.

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

AntoniaTiger posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 7:34 AM

Right, if I put up a character it's going to be named "AntoniaTiger's $_CHARACTER", and I don't care if I do DEF $_CHARACTER to match somebody else's product. Sheesh, guys, don't you have any pride in your own name?

Byrdie posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 1:58 PM

:giggle: Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue ...

SGT2005 posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:16 PM

lol @ Byrdie

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

Byrdie posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:45 PM

I always thought the solution there was simple. If he'd spelled it  "S-i-o-u-x" and explained it as a nickname, it likely would've caused less hassle.

Then again, Johnny Cash would have had nothing to sing about. Oh well ...

Darboshanski posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:52 PM

Quote - Yah my daughters name is Sydne and I rather like it too...

On the other hand I think names like Bert and Homer are kinda goofy;  Im also not a big fan of bell  bottoms or platform shoes.

Yeah that's it pick on the bell bottom pants and platform shoes I'm totally offended now!!!

My Facebook Page

jjroland posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:58 PM

*""Then again, Johnny Cash would have had nothing to sing about.""
*And that my friends would have been the real tragedy.

XENOPHONZ posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 3:03 PM

Whatever happened to names like Jane & Mary?  I think that antique names like that went out along with the Studebaker.  Nowadays, everyone is naming their daughters Paris -- after a city in France.

For us guys -- perhaps we should begin to re-adopt Roman monikers for ourselves.  I'll take Quintus Marcus Gracchus Simplicius.  It has a certain ring to it.  I'll also take the title of quaestor.

My wife's name -- of course -- would need to be Quieta.

jjroland posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 3:09 PM

I personally didn't pick my daughters name.   I had wanted something like Emily actually - but after 24 hours of labor with no pain killers when the time to name the baby came - I was out of it and told my mother to choose the name.  I don't believe my mom was thinking about the city; not sure.  My sons are Michael and Justin - so I stayed normal most of the way.

Either way  - everyone calls the girl "Bug" anyway - so to her - the real name is probably preferable

XENOPHONZ posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 3:09 PM

BTW - Paris was the name of a guy.  He caused a lot of trouble.

Perhaps there is something in a name, after all.....................

jonthecelt posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 2:53 AM

For the record, Xeno, my two daughters' names are Katrina May and Nicola Sophie... adorable brats they are too! So you see, some of us out here in Poserland do still hang on to traditional naming... erm.. traditions. lol

JonTheCelt

vince3 posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 4:00 AM

thanks xeno!! i now have an image of three "prisoner cell block H" ( old Aussie prison-drama, with wobbly walls, and usually the woman with the biggest "pillows" was in charge)  type Muses trying to win the heart of Miss Hilton, stuck in my head!!!

i may not sleep tonight!!!

Morgano posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 5:22 AM

*hmm..sydne  is a cool name. A city in australia?  no  Morgano thats "Sydney" . I like the name trista
too. I picked Sara  no "h"  more uncommon in a name.

I mentioned "Sydney" and jjroland countered with her remark about "Sydne".   It was jjroland who equated "Sydne" with "Sydney", not me.   Once she had done so, I made a light-hearted reference to Oz.    For the record, I like the name Adelaide and I like Beethoven's song, too.

Also, depending on where one is in the world, Tristan might possibly be a female's name.
*Well, perhaps you could enlighten us on the current thinking on this subject where you are, in the People's Republic of Bozo?

Less polemically, "Sydne" is preferable to "Bug" (which seems pretty unfair, if that's Sydne in the picture).   The problem with a name like "Sydne" is that no-one is sure how it is pronounced.   Well, not no-one, since I am sure Sydne and her folks know, but she is going to have to explain the pronunciation zillions of times in her decades ahead.

There's a Celtic name which is written as Sean in Irish and Sion in Welsh (I think that the correct spelling has accents in both cases, but my keyboard/browser/codepage/whatever doesn't run to that).   That's the boy's name.   I don't know what the female version is in Irish (Siobhan?);  the Welsh is Sian (accent missing, again, pronounced "Shahn", more or less, with a long "A", second "H" not sounded).   Sean/Sion is often written "Shaun" by English-speakers and often, in the US, given to girls.   I long ago knew a boy who had been christened "Sean" by his parents, but he and, presumably, they didn't know how it was meant to be pronounced, so the poor lad went through his formative years thinking that he was called "Seen".   

Sian is a lovely name, in common with many of the female names from Wales, but has the same problem as "Sydne".   There have probably been enough vaguely prominent holders of the name at large in Britain for people to know how to pronounce it, but I bet Sians have to put up with "Sy-Anne" when they visit other English-speaking countries, never mind non-English-speaking ones.

Polemically, again:  suggestions for new female character-names:  Gilgamesh, Rameses, Napoleon, Derek, Eric, Harald, Harold, Ivan, Taliesin, Attila.   Don't worry that these may seem strange, because Jumpstartme2 definitely has a sister, or a cousin, or an aunt with one or more of these names and will race to your defence.

Gini posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 6:35 AM

What's in a name ? A rose by any other .... Yes, cute Aiko character but to my ears Tristan is just oriented towards being a boys name. Kinda like naming a girl Dwight. Now I can't stop thinking of Tristan and Isolde as a lesbian couple. Hehe , Morgano, I bagsie "Attila" (which was also the name of my sons beloved female hamster) as the name for the sword wielding amazon V4 character I may release someday... Followed by a sex-kitten Aiko elf character called 'Eric'

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

mickmca posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 8:23 AM

Quote - ... in the People's Republic of Bozo?

My sympathy. On the one hand, we have every right to name our kids anything we like, as long as we keep in mind that the kid has every right -- or should have -- to change the name to something else. We named our son after Christopher Smart's cat and a rock formation in New Mexico. If he'd been a girl, his name would have been Jennifer Chimaya. When he was four, he asked me to change his name to Bill. We stuck with the given name and he's grown into it. Real names are a different matter than names of retail products.

Borrowing "Tristan" for a female poser character is a Bozo-land allusion. It's as silly as naming a Medieval warhorse Excalibur or the god of fire Thor. The maker can argue that he thought the name of Arthur's sword would be an appropriate name for a destrier, but those of us who grew up literate have to wonder if he's covering for his own ignorance. And the evidence certainly points to ignorance.

Obviously, naming the character is supposed to evoke something (or to put it in DAZ-speak, "increase sales"). So, what? There are only two evokable Tristans I know of (and "Tristram" is the original name, still used in Victorian references contemporary to Tennyson. "Tristan" specifically evokes Wagner, who used the odd spelling from a German translation). The other Tristan is a character in Herriot's "Creatures" books, with a brother named Siegfried (thus also a Wagner evocation). I knew a woman named Jennifer (Guinever variant) who married a man named Lance and then named her kid "Tristan." I asked her about the weird coincidence, and it turned out she was thinking of Herriot. The whole thing passed whizzing over her head.

This all reminds me of a great moment of illiteracy in DAZdom, when they marketed a "troubador" holding his traditional "harp." The harp was actually the troubador's traditional lute. When I pointed this out, nobody seemed to care. Why should we, after all? Harp, lute? What's the difference?

AnAardvark posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 8:38 AM

Quote - I always thought the solution there was simple. If he'd spelled it  "S-i-o-u-x" and explained it as a nickname, it likely would've caused less hassle.

[quote] 

As in Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees?

Gini posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 9:34 AM

"On the one hand, we have every right to name our kids anything we like, as long as we keep in mind that the kid has every right -- or should have -- to change the name to something else" Hehe, Zowie Bowie changed his name to Joe. My money is on Brooklyn (Beckham ) changing his name- to just plain Brook maybe ?.... he'll never be able to go NYC until he does . As an ex NewYorker it would be hard for me to keep a straight face if a man told me his name was Brooklyn ; ) There was a UK cleaning product that was marketed in Spain........ the name had to be changed because in Spanish it translated as something quite rude. Unfortunately I can't remember the details but the point is no one checked first. Imo when launching a product it might be better if vendors did a little name check on usage/gender/meanings in a few different languages even if only selling in the Poser Universe. It would just make it all seem a bit more professional. But surely the marketing team here could help ? Also some non-native english speaking vendors could sometime use help when writing their promo blurbs. In light of Rendo wanting the galleries to look more professional ( that was mentioned in the reasons for the thumbnail rule changes I believe ) the marketplace could use help too.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

Khai posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 9:47 AM

Quote - perhaps we should begin to re-adopt Roman monikers for ourselves. 

Pontius Pilate: I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy. - - Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus...
[another guard chuckles]
Pontius Pilate: ... Dickus?
[
more chuckling*]
Pontius Pilate: What about you? Do you find it... wisible... when I say the name... 'Biggus'...
[* chuckle*]
Pontius Pilate: ... Dickus?
[* both guards chuckle*]
Pontius Pilate: He has a wife, you know. You know what she's called? She's called... 'Incontinentia'... Incontinentia Buttocks .....*

jjroland posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 11:06 AM

Just for clarity here = Sydne is *not * the one in the picture.  That is her brother Justin.  She said that she has never had to correct her name pronounciation - I imagine that most gather what it is from the first letters.

My name on the other hand is Jaci.  My mom says it's pronounced "Jackie" /  my father insists it is pronounced "Ja see".  Now that's a true naming conflict.  No doctors office has ever said "jackie"  when calling my name .  I pretty much just answer when they look in my direction.

operaguy posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 11:13 AM

This is my favorite female name....from the First Age of Arda....

Idril Celebrindal            also Itarillë (Quenya) Celebrindal

pronounced "EE-drill  kell-AY-brin-dal"
accent on the first syl. of Idril, accent on second syl. of Celebrindal
"Celebrindal" means 'silver-footed'

She was the daughter of Turgon, high king of the inhabitants of Gondolin, the hidden city of the elves during the War of the Simarills. Her grandfather was Fëanor. Idril's fate was to marry a mortal, yet despite this she made the journey into the Uttermost West and dwells in Valinor.

::::: Opera :::::

P.S. I have only one child Evan ("Young Warrior", welsh). Had I a daughter it would have been THAT CLOSE for me to name her Idril. I most likely would not have gone so far as "Itarillë"

SndCastie posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 5:59 PM

Ok lets keep this civil with no name calling or references to bozo's and such

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

Acadia posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 6:11 PM

I"m so glad that my parent's named me something normal like "Linda" :)

On the topic of gender name cross overs....John "The Duke" Wayne's real name was "Marion".

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Byrdie posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 6:21 PM

In Britain (and maybe elsewhere) Vivian -- or Vivien -- is also a male name. Interesting how times & tastes change, eh?

Morgano posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 7:43 PM

*In Britain (and maybe elsewhere) Vivian -- or Vivien -- is also a male name. Interesting how times & tastes change, eh?
*True.  That is probably because it is originally French:  Vivien (masculine) and Vivienne (feminine).   Because English doesn't have grammatical genders (unaccountably confused with biological sexes, for the last forty years), "Vivian"  was a logical anglicisation of both forms.   "Vivien" as a girl's name is a little pretentious, however, and a lot daft, although I think that that was how the late Mrs. Olivier spelled her forename.   There are others:  Lesley and Lindsey (although female Lindseys have always heavily outnumbered male, in my experience).   Names ending in "-ley", meaning "meadow", and "-sey", meaning (I am guessing) "island", look like classic English geographical names.    How they became female first-names is a mystery to me.   

Female Tristans, though?   Ermmm, no.

kalon posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 8:09 PM

Evelyn- though the masculine version is two syllables. It's all academic.... In fifty years, if we aren't all numbers, no one will no that names ever had any meaning.

A friend of mine claims to have worked at a youth center where one enterprising young mother named her twin sons, Lemonjello and Orangejello -- pronounced Le-mon-jel-lo and O-ranj-ello.

So watch out, I can see Pepsi for A3 just around the bend. It was the nickname of an old friend of mine, while in High School. The basketball team bestowed the name upon her. They said she had more to give.

:sneaky:

(I'm dating myself  (or my friend) - that was Pepsi's slogan at the time)

kalonart.com

Glasswren posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 11:41 AM

A bit off the topic, but the Pepsi remark brought back a memory. About ten years ago I knew a lady with two Tibetan Spaniels. For several weeks I thought their names were 'Pizza' and 'Pepsi'. It was rather embarrassing to find out how my hearing (or subconsciousness) had failed me. The real names were 'Mitza' and 'Epsi'.

I often see names that make me either laugh or gringe, but most often it is becase they mean something else in my language. In the case of the name that prompted this thread, I recall being surprised that it was a feminine thing. But that's only because of the Knights.

KarenJ posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 12:23 PM

My favourite "odd" name I've come across was a character pack for V3 called "Rubella" - which is the English name for the disease German Measles :laugh:

Coming soon - Sciatica for David and Lumbago for Steph Petite!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 1:14 PM

The name of Sir Tristram's true lady love -- as everyone knows -- was La Beale Isoud.  People today should name their daughters after her.  That would be great whenever the girl's 1st grade teacher attempted to call the roll.

BTW - I understand that the name Rachel means "wild goat".  The name Deborah means "a bee".

The name Caleb means "a dog".

Female variants on the name "Tristan" are Trista and Tristana.  I've known one or two Trista's in my time.  In fact I even dated one on-and-off a number of years ago.

The name "Tristram" basically means "sad" or "destined to sorrow"........probably not the best of names for your kid.

Byrdie posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 1:22 PM

Yes, and if I remember my Arthurian legends correctly, he got that name because his mother was dying from the difficult childbirth and sorrowed that she'd never see him grow up.  A fairly common event in those days, though with even higher infant mortality rates, it's a wonder he didn't die too.

Morgano posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 5:00 PM

*My favourite "odd" name I've come across was a character pack for V3 called "Rubella" - which is the English name for the disease German Measles

Coming soon - Sciatica for David and Lumbago for Steph Petite!*

That was a classic.   I think that Malaria and Ebola for V4 will be along soon, too.

Khai posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 5:22 PM

I vote for Incontinentia Buttocks it's a classic name for a character...

Morgano posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 5:29 PM

I remember pickets outside cinemas in Liverpool, when "The Life of Brian" came out.

Acadia posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 5:36 PM

Quote - I vote for Incontinentia Buttocks it's a classic name for a character...

Well, that "Depends" on the gender of the character :)

LOL snort  LOL

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Morgano posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 6:28 PM

*On the topic of gender name cross overs....John "The Duke" Wayne's real name was "Marion"

*In the American War of Independence (=American Revolutionary War), there was a character called Marion who carried the struggle in the Carolinas (not very successfully, to tell the truth) against the dastardly Redcoats.   Some years back, he was the subject of a film that was a bit cavalier with the facts, from what I heard.   It starred Mel Gibson and was directed by a German, who allegedly delighted in depicting the British as war-criminals.    The real Marion was a brutal slave-owner, who committed atrocities against both slaves and Loyalists and was a long way from being one of the Revolutionaries' talented commanders (I don't think he ever won a battle).
Nevertheless, I think that is where John Wayne's real name originated.

The best Wayne story is from when he was working on a film about JC.   I think he was portraying the centurion at the crucifixion (I'm not religious, so my biblical knowledge is sketchy and some details may be wrong.)    When his line turned up, he drawled:

"Truly was this maan the son of Gaaad."

The director exploded:

"No, no, no, Mr.Wayne!    Say it with awe!"

So Wayne returned to his place and repeated, in the same flat tone:

"Awe, truly was this maan the son of  Gaaad."

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 7:16 PM

The movie that you are thinking of was called The Patriot.  I recall the controversy -- at least the controversy which obtained in the British press -- over that movie.  The film wasn't particularly controversial over here: at least not from the standpoint of the Brits being depicted as war criminals.  But the movie was controversial over here due to the fact that Mel Gibson's character's young sons -- both of them boys -- were shown shooting and killing in time of war........which isn't a politically correct thing to depict these days.  Even though boys 12 and under fighting in that war actually happened at the time.........but it's a big no-no in the current politically correct era.

I can't speak in fine detail about other aspects of the movie, due to the fact that I've only seen snatches of it on TV.  But I do recall that the English didn't like the movie back when it came out.  I also recall that English papers, columnists, etc. pointed out that Mel had a habit of starring in movies which tended to portray the English in a bad light -- such as Braveheart.  At the time, The Patriot was considered to be adding insult to injury.

Of course, since that time Mel has successfully managed to portray himself in a bad light --------

The Revolutionary War American general to whom you refer was Francis Marion (Marion was his last name, not his first).  He was given the appellation of the Swamp Fox by an English general who was complaining about the effectiveness of Marion's tactics against the British.

Whether or not the real Francis Marion was a hero depends upon which side of the fence you are sitting on, I suppose.  😉  But he is widely regarded as a hero in my home state.  Many places in those localities are proudly named after him.

http://www.americanrevwar.homestead.com/files/MARION.HTM

Morgano posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 7:48 PM

Marion had precious little to do with ejecting the British from the Thirteen Colonies, but a lot more to do with plunging the United States into civil war several decades after his death.   Nathan Bedford Forrest  was a natural successor to Marion.   I like the United States;  I don't share the moronic anti-Americanism that proliferates in Europe these days and I think that the ACW was a tragic event.   Thanks to Marion and his like, it was probably also an inevitable one.

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 9:57 PM

Oh.....there's lots to be said about the American Civil War -- among other things: that England and other European powers at the time tended to favor the Confederacy -- to which they paid at least lip service.  And covertly supplied & traded with.

The history of the American Civil War is long and complicated.  Far more so than I have anything like the time to get into now.

There were fine men around in those days -- on both sides.  Men who had a sense of personal honor and duty which is utterly incomprehensible to the early 21st century mind.  There were also vile men on both sides.  People are human, and evil happens.

A sense of history can provide a perspective on things: like where we are going today.  I, for one, find our current direction to be a compass bearing that isn't good.  And the so-called 'answers' which some are offering to solve the deep & serious problems which surround us will be about as effective as Douglas'es (Lincoln's debate opponent) belief that the Union could continue on forever half-slave, and half-free.

Most Americans aren't particularly bothered by the rampant anti-Americanism which is so commonly found on display in today's Europe.  It's not a subject that most people over here meditate on as they go about their daily American lives.  In fact: it never even enters their minds.  About like statistics for the average annual rainfall levels in Lyons.

Interesting that the French (of all people) have just elected a pro-American leader.

Frankly, I'm not nearly so bothered by European anti-Americanism as I am by the rise of European anti-semitism...........which is an issue that's always been bubbling under the surface over there: and occasionally erupting.  I fear another such eruption.

.......a sense of history.

BTW -- I happen to be an admirer of English history, English traditions, and of the English nation.

Perhaps we'll talk about the Civil War sometime.  The English Civil War or The American Civil War -- or both.  Take your pick.

Conniekat8 posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 11:01 PM

Quote - Nope, numbers won't help unless you get into 8 or 9 digits.  
Most of the "memorable" numbers like 1234 or 999 are
already trademarked!

I suppose 666 is also taken? ;)  How about Miss 69?

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Jumpstartme2 posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 11:52 PM

7 of 9 is also gone... :laugh:

~Jani

Realmling posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 9:10 AM

Quote -
BTW - I understand that the name Rachel means "wild goat".  The name Deborah means "a bee".

Hey Xeno, where'd you find that one on Rachel.......because I've only ever found my name described as an ewe or a female lamb (don't ask me why the one name book had to spell it out completely)

I'd much rather be a wild goat.....I've just never seen that one before. =)

Course, my mother named me that after she read the Daphne duMaurier book...which is an interesting character to share a name with.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 9:51 AM

Well.......I think that there's a tendency in modern-day 'baby-naming' books to tone down or to soften the original meaning of certain names.  For example, some sources will tell you that "Tristan" derives from "tryst" -- i.e. the character of a great lover.  Well......at it's root, that's simply not true.

Rachel is a Hebrew name.  And of course, the most famous Rachel of them all is found in the pages of the Old Testament.  Back then, names weren't just sounds like they are today -- names were actually supposed to connote something of the individual's character.  In fact, an individual's name would sometimes change depending upon characteristics in that person which didn't become apparent until later in life.  They'd get a new name -- a name to reflect who they were.

I don't have any sources here in front of me.....but I've seen Rachel defined as "wild goat" in original Hebrew interpretations.  It was also meant to convey the essence of the Old Testament Rachel's personality and character........free-ranging and not quite tameable.  But beautiful at the same time.  Or at least that's the way that wild goats were thought of in those days.

There's much about ancient ways of looking at things & ancient attitudes that the modern mind doesn't quite grasp without study.

One of our greatest flaws today is that we generally consider ourselves to be superior to our ancestors.  In many cases: it's actually the other way around.

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 12:26 PM

OK -- out of curiosity I've done some checking.

I should add that some names, of course, have more than one root meaning or association.  Rachel does mean ewe -- or mother sheep -- which also connotes an aspect of Rachel's character.  Her sister's name, Leah, means "cow".  A character placid, plodding and peaceable.

"Rachel" at its base root can also mean "to journey" or "to migrate".

More properly, Jael or Yael means "wild she-goat".  But it can also mean "antelope".  I don't have the time right now to check deeply into this -- but I am suspecting that "Rachel" and "Yael" both derive from the same root.  That might be where I picked that meaning up years ago.

Many words have multiple levels of meaning or association.  For example: the word "simple" can mean several different things, depending upon the context.  Too bad that things aren't always simple..........😉

AnAardvark posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 1:16 PM

Quote - Perhaps we'll talk about the Civil War sometime.  The English Civil War or The American Civil War -- or both.  Take your pick.

One effect of the American Civil War on the US mindset is that we try to force all our concepts of civil wars into that framework, just like we try to think of revolutions in terms of our own. But the American Revolution was really a colonial rebellion, as opposed to, say, the class-based French Revolution, and the American Civil War was really a geographically-based secession (similar to the Vendee in France), not religiously or ethnically-based as so many are.

vincebagna posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 2:17 PM

A lot of english or american names for girls are given to boys in France, the contrary too :)

My Store

dphoadley posted Wed, 20 June 2007 at 11:06 PM

My son's name is Moshe (Moses), and my religious name is Yehuda David.  Now, there isn't a feminine form for Moshe, but both Yehuda and David do have an accepted feminine form: Yehudite (Judith) and Davida. 
Just my two shekels worth.
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Morgano posted Thu, 21 June 2007 at 1:35 AM

*A lot of english or american names for girls are given to boys in France, the contrary too :)
*Tristan is traditionally Cornish, with domains in Brittany (Bretagne), which derives its name, apparently, from all the British who piled in there at the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, at about the same time as the Angles were arriving on the east coast of Britain and rather high-handedly re-naming the place "Angle-land", by which they meant the whole island.   Mediaeval French poems about Tristan, therefore, distinguish between "Bretagne", south of the Channel, and "Engleterre", north of it, a distinction which which would probably have annoyed the socks off a manly British hero like Tristan.   The English, as far as I know, only started to refer to the island as "Britain"  when James VI of Scotland became James I of England and Wales in 1603.  In the meantime, the Celtic-language inhabitants of Cornwall had long ago been conquered by the Saxons of southern England and the English had frequently made common cause with the Bretons, the cousins of the Cornish,  against their common enemy, the French.   On the other hand, in 1066, William the Bastard , Duke of Normandy, had been able to deploy a fair number of Breton troops at Hastings, where the Saxon rule of England, established by Alfred and his successors, was extinguished.   Recent research, certainly pretty controversial, speculates that the Saxons did not arrive along with the Angles and after the departure of the Romans (the traditional assumption), but had been in Britain from before the Roman conquest.   That could explain why the Scots Gaelic ("Sasunnach") and Welsh ("Saesneg") words for "English" both refer to the Saxons, rather than to the Angles who were geographically closer to Scotland and Wales, but may have arrived many centuries later.

Still, Tristan's a bloke, however you look at it.. 

vincebagna posted Thu, 21 June 2007 at 2:03 AM

I'm from Brittany (where i live too), and here, some typically breton names are given the same to boys and girls, such as Gaël, Gwenaël, Haël... Other names like Gwendal from Gwendoline are the male version of "frenchier" girl names. But in Brittany, a lot of people consider this part of France as a standalone country. The breton language is still alive (a lot of children go to breton schools), and a large part of the elderly talk in breton. All the signals in town are written both in French and in Breton, in the official buildings as well.
There are a lot of typically breton names, some for boys, some for girls, but people like to give them as they looks pretty to them, no regarding to the gender they are for.

My Store