Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Installing freestuff

drkfetyshnyghts opened this issue on Aug 12, 2007 · 7 posts

drkfetyshnyghts posted Sun, 12 August 2007 at 3:34 AM

I must be cracking up.
I downloaded some stuff from here, for V4.
It unzips to the desktop, but no matter where i try to put the folder then, i cant get to it in Poser7.
I now have it installed in so many locations, that even if i stumbled upon it by accident, i wont know which actual installation i have stumbled on.

Is it best to unzip to the desktop? Or to the main Poser sections of applications (i use a mac). ??? And where to i put it.  I know 'runtime' is mentioned lots... but the folder unzipped contains a runtime folder.. blah blah blah !!!!! Grrrrrrrrr.

God, you would think there would be an esier method of installing content. Especially when content is actually the bigest thing about Poser.   Verrry frustrating.  Help, Anyone!!!

Drky

thefixer posted Sun, 12 August 2007 at 4:13 AM

Some free stuff doesn't have the right paths in the file, so what I do is have a folder in Mydocs called "poser temp", I unzip to there and then place the files into poser manually from there using cur and paste.

This is only for free stuff with the wrong paths though, winzip will usually unzip to the right place.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

drkfetyshnyghts posted Sun, 12 August 2007 at 4:32 AM

Quote - Some free stuff doesn't have the right paths in the file, so what I do is have a folder in Mydocs called "poser temp", I unzip to there and then place the files into poser manually from there using cur and paste.

This is only for free stuff with the wrong paths though, winzip will usually unzip to the right place.

Hi there

Hmm i use stuffit expander here on mac.
Say i choose to manually place the files. Does that mean the whole folder just has to be placed correctly. Or, each individual file...  in that case where do these go.

Sorry i must seem a little inept.  I just get a little frustrated at what 'should' be a simple task.

Drky xxx

thefixer posted Sun, 12 August 2007 at 5:00 AM

Well I'm not familiar with Macs but even free stuff with incorrect paths have the runtime structure in them, the problem is they have a name in front of the runtime which is why it doesn't auto install!

Anyway, once unzipped to your temp folder, open up the runtime folder and in there you'll find other folders for "character" "pose" "texture" "geometry" there may be others depending on what the item is.
To load these manually you'll need to open each folder [character, pose, texture, gemoetry] and do a cut or copy and paste to the corresponding folders inside your Poser runtime.
That's how it works in windows anyway, as I said I'm not familiar with macs!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

jerr3d posted Sun, 12 August 2007 at 5:09 AM

Attached Link: Renderosity Mac Poser install

You are not the first person to ask this question that is why there is a nice Mac install how to in the Mac Forum here is a direct link to the tutorial

pakled posted Sun, 12 August 2007 at 12:27 PM

I do it manually (which is one reason my Runtime is only in gigabytes instead of petabytes like everyone else's..;) As long as the names are correct (I think), it will work. Sometimes, it doesn't...sigh..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

drkfetyshnyghts posted Mon, 13 August 2007 at 4:49 PM

Hey Guys

My broadband went down for 2 days over the weekend. So I was unable to do any work.  HaHa, so I was finally able to get to grips with installing stuff in Poser7.

I got together all of my wayward runtimes together in one folder on my hard disc and hey presto.
The problem is that every individual item you obtain, regardless of wether its free or paid for, come with that all important runtime folder. But thats just it. Every single one is called 'runtime'. Which causes no end of problems. So on installation i have just renamed each runtime to whatever it actually is... and then added that runtime to my runtimes folder.. then added that runtime within Poser instelf.  AND IT WORKS! All my content in one place.

Wow i feel i have achieved something.  Thanks for all your individual pieces of advice.

Drky xxx