Forum: Blender

Subject: This is driving me Nuts........

Touchwood opened this issue on Sep 11, 2007 · 6 posts

Touchwood posted Tue, 11 September 2007 at 7:10 AM

I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now but I dont know what I've done wrong or how to correct it. Essentially, I have made this object and when finished, went to move the objects origin. Went into object mode, selected the object and hit Centre New. Phoooof!!!! It disappears completely, no sign of it Nada.... No mesh, No Data, No Origin, Nothing. Tried checking other layers, duplicating, moving, copying, exporting/importing in different formats checking for stray verts etc., decimating the mesh to the extent of it becoming unrecogniseable. Still happens. I've reached the end of my expertise (which isn't extensive). Any ideas? I really don't want to remake the mesh again unless absolutely necessary. I have a .blend file if you want to see what I mean. Thanks in advance.

Reddog9 posted Tue, 11 September 2007 at 7:52 AM

Quote - I have been trying to figure this out for a long time now but I dont know what I've done wrong or how to correct it. Essentially, I have made this object and when finished, went to move the objects origin. Went into object mode, selected the object and hit Centre New. Phoooof!!!! It disappears completely, no sign of it Nada.... No mesh, No Data, No Origin, Nothing. Tried checking other layers, duplicating, moving, copying, exporting/importing in different formats checking for stray verts etc., decimating the mesh to the extent of it becoming unrecogniseable. Still happens. I've reached the end of my expertise (which isn't extensive). Any ideas? I really don't want to remake the mesh again unless absolutely necessary. I have a .blend file if you want to see what I mean. Thanks in advance.

Hmm...  Maybe pass the file to a couple of other people.. see if they can find it.  No back-up copies?  Did you try to undo after it happened originally?.

Did you check the Outliner to see if it's listed?

Sometimes with me.. if the object's scale is to big or small or it's far from the camera.. the 'clipping distance' set on the camera may make it invisible.  It usually happens when it's too big.  I believe scale everything down seemed to cure the problem.

I'd be happy to check for you if you want.   reddogzip@yahoo.com

Scott

Reddog9
Tutorials, Samples and Models
www.blender3dclub.com

Touchwood posted Tue, 11 September 2007 at 12:32 PM

OK Done some other stuff in the meantime... Exported the object and imported it into UVMapper which reports the correct number of verts & faces but doesn't produce a map. ?? Exported the object in different formats and imported into a clean (i.e. new scene). Same thing happens. Only thing I noticed with this is that when zooming in, at one stage you see a vertical line, but only once. It's as if everything has been squashed flat. Yes it's listed in the outliner. Automatic backup copies are done every 30 mins. They are no better as I don't know when the problem occurred. Normally, I do an Undo if things don't work out as expected. Reddog I am sending you the blend file. Thanks for the assist.

Reddog9 posted Tue, 11 September 2007 at 6:32 PM

I see the problem.. although, I'm not sure how you got there. 

If you select the object and press 'N' to bring up the properties, you can see the object properties.

For the manipulating bounding box dimesions, y is 2.579, z is 0.652 and x is 10000.00. 

Not sure how to get around this at the moment,  I've tried exporting it as a .lwo and .obj and importing it with out any luck. 

I've also just tried to duplicate the object with shft D and alt D with out any luck.

Attempting to change the scale immediately puts y  and z in perspective relative to the x value and flattens the object out. 

I'll keep working on it for ya.. see if I can come up with something tonight.

Scott

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Reddog9 posted Tue, 11 September 2007 at 6:39 PM

Fixed it.. 

Edit mode - duplicate all vertexes - delete the old ones. 

Seems ok now..

I sent it back to ya..

P.S.  Just noticed you have some surface normals facing the wrong way.

Thanks for the challenge.. I love a good mystery, Scooby.

Red.

Reddog9
www.blender3dclub.com

Touchwood posted Wed, 12 September 2007 at 2:33 AM

Thanks for the Fix. Funny thing is that in the original blend file, Edit mode - duplicate all vertexes - delete the old ones, didn't work, problem still appeared. So I just exported the object from the test file you sent and imported it into the original which seems to have worked. Wasn't looking forward to the prospect of redoing the thing again :crying: I knew about the normals but I can deal with them. Thanks again for the help.