Forum: Photography

Subject: WARNING! The thin edge of the axe, 'camera free zones' proposed in Australian Fe

Boofy opened this issue on Oct 14, 2007 ยท 5 posts

Boofy posted Sun, 14 October 2007 at 11:24 PM

Yes this is an Aussie petition so of no concern to many here???

I post it because if it can happen in a rather laid back country like australia then

photograpers, amature and pro as well as the industies like camera shops, tourism etc that rely on the humble camera are under

serious threat.

If you are aussie you may want to sign the petition (I have nothing to do with the company or the petition itself)

this was sent to all members of our photography club (KPS)from the president.

if you are from else where then this info is for you to keep an eye out for

simliar ploys to lump legitimate photographers in with 'securtity risks or involved in pedophilia'.

I hope we never see such things actually happening.

Jenny

EMAIL

Duncan Dodd of Maxwell Optical Industries Pty. Ltd.

writes: "Believe it or not, proposals to ban all

public photography are before a Federal Government

Committee in Australia. An online petition against

this is at

www.petitiononline.com/ausphoto/petition.html."

WEBSITE

*This is a petition to represent the concerns of all professional and amateur photographers within Australia.

We are concerned by suggestions raised in a Federal Parliament working committee that suggest public places should become "camera free zones". (Sunday Telegraph 11 March 2007)

The reasoning behind this suggestion relates to the recent incidents involving sneak cameras, in particular mobile phones and hidden cameras. As serious photographers we take great offence at having our hobby and/or livelihoods placed into disarray at the actions of a small minority. As a group we fully support any action taken to prevent these "sneak photos" which are a blatant invasion of a person's privacy.

By signing this petition we are requesting the following points be considered by this or any future working committee or legislative group, within State or Federal Parliament:

1. That the rights of legitimate photographers as members of the community be given precedence over the rights of small minority groups.
  2. That in all future working committees or discussion groups, fair and appropriate representation from photography groups and clubs be included.
  3. That any future legislation, whether offence or machinery sections, clearly indicates that the rights of serious photographers to photograph in public places, including beaches, are not to be affected by any such legislation.

We urge our elected representatives to take these points into consideration and represent all members of the community, including photographers.

(note to those signing this petition - please elect to have your email address available to the author or public to enable further updates on this matter. Thank you.)*

Sincerely,

<em> You might like to have a look at the web site and<br></br> add your signature to the petition.</em><br></br><br></br>****************************************<br></br><br></br>That is the story so far. I dont know what sites or areas are proposed, there are already a lot of bans<br></br>on photos of school activities in Victoria that i know of due to pedophilia concerns.<br></br>Some things I can understand the concern but I abhor being lumped in with <br></br>pedophiiles and crooks just because I enjoy photography.<br></br><br></br>Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.<br></br><br></br>Jenny<br></br><br></br><br></br>