Forum: Bryce

Subject: Lighting Techniques

colorfulsilk opened this issue on Oct 17, 2007 ยท 5 posts

colorfulsilk posted Wed, 17 October 2007 at 1:19 PM

Hello All,

I would like to know if someone could point me in the right direction of lighting techniques in Bryce. I have Bryce 6.

Thanks

Gog posted Wed, 17 October 2007 at 3:11 PM

you may want to take a look at some real world ideas and then see how they translate into the scenes you want to create

http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/

after that the question is one of those how long is a piece of string type thing, it depends on whether you doing an indoor / outdoor scene, day / night, high realism versus slower render, etc etc.

Please give us a few more clues about what you hope to achieve and we can help more.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Riquelme8 posted Wed, 17 October 2007 at 4:00 PM

Attached Link: http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/Riquelme8/dwarrowdelf_tut.jpg

More details needed of what you want to achieve:) But here's how I made one of my latest works.. check out the lights fromn that wireframe link. The whole scene is placed inside of a giant tunnel and as you can see from the columns the sun light is coming behind the back. There at the far end is just haze/fog... then it's good to place lights to bring out wanted details more. In that scene I used just few spotlights near the fire and that far wall. Remember that negative light values are also very handy:) And to achieve the final result (in my gallery) I adjusted levels and stuff in Photoshop... also added some dim light rays using difference clouds-->radial blur-->blending technique because my laptop can't handle volume lights straight in Bryce... In outdoor landscape like my latest one "Redhorn Pass" all I did was placing the sun.. no additional lights. I hope this gave some help and ideas:) -Antti-

Analog-X64 posted Wed, 17 October 2007 at 9:54 PM

I think Lighting a scene is very important and it can make or break a scene... I also think all the great artists who make stunning images have a good grasp on how to light a scene.

I have a lot to learn.

Incarnadine posted Thu, 18 October 2007 at 6:20 AM

Lighting is a compositional element in the same way that the layout of the object meshes and their textures are. Light like you would in the real world as a start - then embellish.
If you see something in any of my images, just ask. I do more C4D at the moment but the principles are the same. Same goes for just about everyone, the people here help a great deal.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!