Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: Southern California Fires, hope rendo people are okay!

Conniekat8 opened this issue on Oct 22, 2007 · 75 posts

Conniekat8 posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 12:34 PM

I hope all of our Southern California Rendo friends are safe and away from the fires!

We're about 30 miles away and between couple of major fires (Irvine and San Diego). 
Safe, but a ton of smoke and ashes. I had to wash the desk, computers and the floor before I could touch anything. Visibility here is about one residential block.

I didn't go to work, because I would have to make my way past Irvine and Chino fires. I'm kind of worried that by the end of the day my way home may be cut off. Just wanted to play it safe.

Let us know how you're affected and how you're doing! I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!!!

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

SSAfam1 posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 12:47 PM

What a sweet thread! I too hope everyone located there sees no harm.

SoCalRoberta posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 1:21 PM

I hope they are contained soon.
250,000 people evacuated in San Diego county alone according to MSN.

jackhalsey posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 2:03 PM

Its actually worse than you can imagine.  I am sitting here waiting to see if I have to evacuate but everybody is ringed with fire and there is no place to go.  They had huge holding areas and then had to evacuate those....

Conniekat8 posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 2:11 PM

That sounds awful :(  Is that in San Diego?
It's so smoky and dusty here, you don't want to be outside... You can't evacuate people and leave them out in this... and we're 30 miles away from fires.
Can't imagine how it is any closer :(

I hope you stay okay!

Miss Nancy posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 2:34 PM

I hope they will be safe there, and that the evacuations won't last long. I saw one news story of a couple who had built an house on the site of one of the previous malibu fires, only to have it burn down.

jackhalsey posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 2:51 PM

Yep close to San Diego..the problem is that they are running out of places to put the evacuees.

Dajadues posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 3:13 PM

My heart does not bleed for million dollar homes built on top of each other, sorry.

Conniekat8 posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 3:33 PM

Quote - Yep close to San Diego..the problem is that they are running out of places to put the evacuees.

I can believe that!
We just had a samll fire break out at the end of our block, in a dry creek bed. Luckily there were two fire engines available to put it out. With being so far away from all the other fires, I wonder how this got started.

I hear that one of the major power trunks bringing Power into San Diego, from Arizona is down due to the fire. If utilities start breaking down, it'll get nasty. I made sure we have abnout 5 days worth of food and drinking water if thig get ugly... may need more.

Dajadues, that was nasty and totally uncalled for. 
Malibu, where the rich houses are is atually not affected all that much any more. It just happens to get a fair amount of press coverage.
There are plenty of poor people in Southern California too, and the extent of the fire damage is a lot worse then one or two large houses burning down.
For example, City of Ramona, down in San Diego, entire city of some 35,000 people has been evacuated. It is a little desert city with a lot of agriculture. Not very many rich people there. Lot of little more rural communities and people without fire insurance are affected.

Also, the smoke is affecting milions of people around here. At least half of the southland is covered in smoke and ash, air quality so bad you can barely see a block away. I'm wondering about evacuees and homeless people, I hope there's an indoor place for them to take shelter.

I went outside for about 30 min, and by the time I came back, I was congested, and my mouth was actually dry and full of ashes. I could feel my teeth grind the sand, dust, ash, whatever it is.

originalkitten posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 3:36 PM

Sending thoughts and prayers everyones way.....

and yup that comment was totally uncalled for.....

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

Darboshanski posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 4:58 PM

Quote - My heart does not bleed for million dollar homes built on top of each other, sorry.

Regardless of this it is not these homes in danger as Connie pointed out. I spent a lot of time in the San Diego area and I didn't see million dollar homes there. If losing homes, power, and other things aren't bad enough I truly feel for all the firefighters that have been at battle with these fires for over 36 hours straight and no end in sight! Also the fact that there are more fires starting than crews to fight them is no help either. I wouldn't be at all suprised if California doesn't ask for firefighters from all over the U.S. and getting the guard involved as well. These folks in this area are in fire straits and need all the support we can give them.

My Facebook Page

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 6:06 PM

Yes, I've been watching this, Connie.  I am certainly sorry to hear that you and yours are being affected by it.  Are the winds as bad in your area as they are saying on the news -- causing the fires to spread?

Good thing that you don't have northern Georgia's problem of severe drought coupled together with the fires.  It's amazing to me to hear that the city of Atlanta may literally face the possibility of running out of water.  I don't live there -- but I know people who do.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 6:10 PM

Yes -- there's always an element of envy involved in wishing ill to rich folks, and in celebrating about it when they get hurt somehow.

Too bad when the businesses which are owned by those horrible rich folks get burned down -- and put a lot of the "little people" whose lives & families are supported by the businesses which are run by those awful rich folks out of work.

SoCalRoberta posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 6:13 PM

I hope this link works. These are photos from the San Diego area. 
May God have mercy on them all.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/slideshow/news/14393320/detail.html

BastBlack posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 6:41 PM

Hope everyone pulls through okay. We have had some bad wildfires here in Florida, the smoke is terrible! If you have a mask to protect your lungs, wear it. N95 might do the trick. But, OMG, the Santa Anna winds are Fast and Deadly! BE SMART! Don't get caught out in the open if you make a run for it. Many people died recently in Greece that way. OO!!! The weather channel says the Santa Anna is not easing up, this could be trouble.

Peggy_Walters posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 6:46 PM

It's even worse than the last big fire we had 4 years ago.  San Diego county lost over 2000 homes then.  We may loose even more this time.  The wind is blowing up to 35 mph gusts.  In some of the hills it has got up to 60 mph.  Due to the winds and smoke, the planes could not do their water drops...  They finally were able to get in the air late this afternoon.

I'm safe now, but it is burning rather closer to me than I like!  They just ordered evacs for Scripps Ranch, which is less than 2 miles away.   The homes that are at the highest risk are near the canyons.  We are far from those, so I feel pretty safe.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Conniekat8 posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 7:05 PM

The severe Santa Ana wind advisory just got extended from ending tuesday to thursday now. Not good news.
We do have drought too, not super severe, but the water reserves are on low, we had public announcements to conserve water for few months now.
I think Operaguy and DarkEdge are from so cal. I hope we hear from them. I'm sure there are others.

The winds around here can be vicious! Anywhere between 60 and 100mph, toppling trees and power lines. Several of theese fires started because of the wind knocking down power lines. Lot of local schools are closed due to poor air quality. The one nearest to me, covering 15,000 acres and so far injuring 12 firefighters is an arson fire. 
Whomever did that, I hope they feed him to the sharks!!!!

SamTherapy posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 7:24 PM

Mojo to all our San Diego buddies.  Hope you are all safe and well.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

DarkEdge posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 10:11 PM

Please overlook my short comings as we are in fallbrook and are in big trouble...prayers would be good. My wife is safe and I am stuck...so I'm digging in.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Conniekat8 posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 10:30 PM

OMG, Falbrook... you guys are in the middle of it :(
I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed, and sending you some good wishes and prayers!

Peggy_Walters posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 10:32 PM

Yikes Darkedge - take care and get out if you can.  Houses can be rebuilt - you are more important!  Saying lots of prayers for you.

Paloth posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 10:46 PM

Another reason to despise the media: entire communities were being evacuated this morning and some news ditz, in a cheery voice, was reporting that the homes of celebrities were being threatened. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but when a whole community is imperiled, it is hardly the time for this insipid, vacuous obsession with celebrity that pretends to be news when there is no news.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

DarkEdge posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 10:51 PM

Thank you ladies...I appreciate your thoughts. Pulling an all nighter here. I can't believe the power is still on. Ready to roll at a moments notice. I figure it can't take the whole town at once, so I'll just drive where the fire isn't. It took my wife 3 hours to go 2 miles. Even better today is our 19th anniversary...it doesn't get any better than this!
But the whole situation is extremly dynamic at this point, nothing is for sure.

DarkEdge posted Mon, 22 October 2007 at 10:55 PM

Yes Paloth. Unfortunately it is my opinion that Fallbrook is being left to fry...the whole of San Diego is on fire and, well...we are just a little avocado town. I've seen 1 fire truck today.

I don't fault them though, you have to make a stand at some places and others you can't. They are heros and do the best they can. If you pray, pray for those on the front lines fighting this thing.

BastBlack posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 12:21 AM

DarkEdge, if you make a run a run for it, take a route near water, or swimming pools. I have heard several stories of people surviving a firestorm by jumping in water. Just don't get caught out in the open. The smoke can get you too. Stay safe! Taking care of your wife's safety and yours on your 19th anniversary is a reminder of what's really important in life. I hope your town pulls through,

sixus1 posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 12:50 AM

I saw some pics of the fire damage....I don't know if I would hide in a pool...you might boil. 

I do hope that you guys all make it through this okay....I was looking at a satallite photo...the smoke just billows out over the ocean in a huge cloud.  

That is some scary shit. :( 

--Rebekah--

EricJ posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 1:23 AM

It's very sureal here. I live in Mira Mesa and winds is still, the sky is clear and we can see the stars. While everyone to the north and east is under manditory evacuation and to the west is voluntary evacuation. I'm close to the Mira Mesa High School which is an evacuation point so I am keeping an eye on that. I'm getting my bags packed in case we get evacuated.

Indoda posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 9:40 AM

Stay safe all of you - Conniekat8, DarkEdge, and all others in that region - I never realised how your country has so many natural disasters until moving north of the US. Thoughts and prayers with all during this terrifying ordeal.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

MachineClaw posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 10:52 AM

Posted in the Lyne thread about this.

Best wishes to all those in the area.

I lived through this 4 years ago, but moved to denver.  Dad is on high alert.  Friend already thinks he lost his house.

Aweful.

Best wishes and good luck to all in the area and those that are effected.

Peggy_Walters posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 10:59 AM

Hey EricJ - I live in Mira Mesa too.  We look OK so far.  Pretty scary though when it's burning on 3 sides of us. 

Conniekat8 posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 11:33 AM

I hear the feds and military are on their way, I hope they help San Diego first.

Things are pretty calm here today, we're out of the smoke and ash
I stayed at home just to be on the safe side. With the long drive I have to get to work, I worry about being cut off somewhere.... since out of 4 possible ways to get there, there's only one left.
Looks like someone is still trying to lite up fires in the area, so with resources being strained, i'm kind of worried about new fires spouting elsewhere.

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 11:44 AM

Quote - Stay safe all of you - Conniekat8, DarkEdge, and all others in that region - I never realised how your country has so many natural disasters until moving north of the US. Thoughts and prayers with all during this terrifying ordeal.

Not all of this is natural.  A number of the fires are suspected to have been started by arson.

Stay safe, Connie and the others.

Peggy_Walters posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 11:45 AM

My husband just got activated again - he is in the CERT  (Civilian Emergency Response Team).   And yes, the feds and military are helping out - I think they said over 65,000 cots are on there way to the shelters.  

I went to work yesterday at 5:30 am just to make a backup of my computer and take the files home.  Glad I did - now that area is in the evac zone. 

SoCalRoberta posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 12:06 PM

Las Vegas sent 5 teams of firefighters  out yesterday and a 6th left this morning (5 engines and 45 firefighters). That's a total of 150 and they expect to send more.
 In addtion, about 20 or so Clark County firefighters are taking their scheduled rest leaves to head out there and help. 

According to the news reports, it's so dangerous now that only brush trucks and wildland  trained firefighters are being allowed to go.

Arizona is sending 80 firefighters. They also have 6 water planes on the runway waiting for the winds to die down enough for them to take off,

kobaltkween posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 12:06 PM

please everyone do your best to stay safe.  it sounds like all forces are mobilized and people are doing the best they can, so that's good to hear.

as for million dollar homes, from what little i know of the Cali housing market, i don't think it's hard for a house to be worth a million.  especially if people have hung onto a house for several years.   i'm pretty sure my parents house in NJ will be worth about that much when they're finally done with it (assuming Jersey's coast isn't underwater by then), and they bought it for something like $35k  in the 70s.  different state, but still...

you know, a friend of a friend keeps his hard drive backups in fireproof safe.  that's seeming like a better and better idea as time goes on.

DarkEdge posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 1:04 PM

Hang in there Peggy, Eric and all affected. Last night was a close one, VERY close. Saw a couple of fire tornados from some trees. Yikes!

Sethren posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 3:23 PM

Million dollar homes out here are no big deal. Here in the inland empire there are homes built in the 70s 4 bedroom, 2 bath are worth $500,000 so million dollar homes are no big deal. Everything is expensive out here so the costs of property damage are going to be huge all across the board.

I think we need some rain real soon here.   :(

Peggy_Walters posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 5:54 PM

My daughter keeps playing with her rain stick.  I think that's about as close as we are going to get to rain!  Mira Mesa and our home are still safe.  Hope you are in a safe place DarkEdge!

DarkEdge posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 7:33 PM

Thanks Peggy.
I hope for your husbands safety, I know he is out there fighting. Obviously I hope for your whole family too...you know what I'm trying to say (I hope!). I cannot find the correct words right now. Wish all is well there for you. 

Sorry we are kind of devastated up here. 500 homes gone. Those tornados I saw last night were quite scary and I have finally seen an aerial view...homes are still going up as we speak. Me and 2 other neighbors are hunkering down again for the night...only ones left. Chainsaw and shovels are ready.

Stay safe.

Boofy posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 11:52 PM

Prayers are winging over from downunder, we know the terror and helplessness of bushfire. I am in the city away from it but my parents lost thier home, wedding pressies and photos 2 wks after the wedding 43 years ago.
My uncle and other relos still fight the raging beast almost yearly with dwinding water supplies.

Keep safe all of you. Dont do anything silly!!!!
Jen

EricJ posted Tue, 23 October 2007 at 11:57 PM

Here is an amazing video of embers falling like rain.

video.nbcsandiego.com/player/

Conniekat8 posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 11:50 AM

GAH! now there's another fire a lot closer to us, within a few miles, burning in Camp Pendleton (Marine Base). The firefighters tried to light a backfire, and it got out of hand. Now we have a fire burning in San Onofre, few hundred yards from a nuclear power plant!!!!

How's everyone else doing? DarkEdge, you hanging in there?

DarkEdge posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 12:43 PM

Hi Connie,

I thought you were somewhere near by (location wise), hang in there...let us know how you are doing!

Monday night was very scary, fire tornados going up all around, all hell broke loose. Hopefully we get aircraft today (???). Cal Fire Dept. is a broken wheel in regards to getting aircraft in the area. It's been touch and go, finally seeing fire trucks in town.  Initial estimates were 500 homes lost, now they are revising to 200-300. Still had homes going up yesterday with no visable support in the immeadiate area. The brave fighters are just spread too thin. Thankfully a small local market opened up today...everyone is buying beer, frozen food, and toothpaste (everyone? oh, that's just me! :P) Slept a total of 6 hours last 2 days. Still hunkered down. Thanks for asking!

EricJ posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 12:44 PM

Aside from the slight smell of smoke in the wind, some haze in the air, and the lack of cars on the roads things are normal here in MIra Mesa. Hopefully that won't change, everyone is keeping a close eye on the winds.

dbowers22 posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 12:54 PM

Quote - My heart does not bleed for million dollar homes built on top of each other, sorry.

That's rather cold hearted.  Just because a person is fortunate enough to be able to buy
a nice house doesn't mean they don't have feelings too. They deserve our prayers too.

Peggy_Walters posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 2:51 PM

I've had three days off work.  Two because Poway was under evac and today they said not to come in due to the air quality and power conservation.  

I have asthma, so coughing a lot today.  Need to get away from the TV and do something else beside watch the fire news.  

Hang in there DarkEdge - the planes looked like they were making lots of headway in the Fallbrook area today. 

Conniekat8 posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 4:23 PM

Peggy, how is Poway doing? 
I have a friend that lives in Poway (I'm not sure where), and I haven't heard from her at all, and she disappeard from her usual online spots without saying a word :(
I gather the whole city got evacuated.
Do you have any more 'inside info'

Jumpstartme2 posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 4:33 PM

Oh my gosh, You all stay as safe as you can, prayers going up for all of you.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

DarkEdge posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 4:56 PM

Peggy,
Sounds like you need to stay inside, don't need to trigger an attack. 
Today is the best day so far up here, that's not saying much but I'll take it. The winds have been dead calm all day so far, but the ash is very heavy and thick.

To all, here is a current fire map: www.sdcountyemergency.com/

Peggy_Walters posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 7:21 PM

Poway is mostly OK - the back hills are still under evac, but the rest of the city is getting populated again.   

Yes, I've been hiding inside today.  But even inside you notice everything is covered with dust. 

Boofy posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 8:26 PM

I read an article here downunder that says strong black coffee is good for athsma,  particularly if you dont drink it a lot.....it has a naturally occuring ingredient they use in the puffers. hope it helps!

EricJ posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 10:50 PM

It's the caffine in the coffee that helps.

Boofy posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 11:02 PM

*exerpts from an article I read.

While doctors will never advise drinking coffee as the sole treatment for asthmatic symptoms as they did hundreds of years ago. They do agree that the caffeine found in coffee is particularly beneficial in an emergency situation. Evidence shows that people have used coffee in situations where inhalers were completely unavailable, such as when on vacations and on an airplane. Coffee is particularly useful in these situations, as the patients might otherwise suffer serious consequences due to their inability to breathe properly.

Coffee has a component in it called Theobromine, which is a bronchial dilator. It's not as potent as a typical ashtmatic brochodilator, such as albuterol. It's helps if there is no inhaler nearby and one absolutely needs some help clearing the airways.

Dajadues posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 11:55 PM

I'm saying this flatout. Every year it's the samething. You people insist on building where fires are likely to happen. Why??? Why for the love of god don't you allow loggers to  thinout your forest, remove the dead trees and under brush? You tree huggers and your views and the CA laws that prevent people from cleaning brush around their yard are the cause of it.

You don't want loggers, you don't want to ruin your views so better an entire hillshide go up in flames? I dont understand this for the life of me and never will.

Clean up your yards, fire proof your dam houses and thinout your forest and you'll save the wild life and your homes at the same time but no, will never happen will it?

Every year it's the samething and this topic does not belong here. Im saying it because it's never said in these threads.

oh yea, how bout mentioning all the dead animals and wild life all up in smoke eh? This is why my my heart does not bleed for the rich in CA. You build on top of each other, make even harder for the fire men to get to you on a damn hillside as it is. No sympathy from me.

(MHO)

Paloth posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:24 AM

Dajadues, this is hardly the time, and not even remotely the place for this sort of rhetoric.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

EricJ posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:08 AM

Quote - I'm saying this flatout. Every year it's the samething. You people insist on building where fires are likely to happen. Why??? Why for the love of god don't you allow loggers to  thinout your forest, remove the dead trees and under brush? You tree huggers and your views and the CA laws that prevent people from cleaning brush around their yard are the cause of it.

First off these aren't forest fires. They are brush fires. Second there are no laws against clearing brush anywhere in the San Diego county, in fact a lot of time and money is spent telling people to clear brush around their houses. In fact a lot of people do just that, which is why there haven't been nearly as many houses lost in these fires as compaired to the Cedar fire.

Jumpstartme2 posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:52 AM

Daj, and all.
People are losing their homes and their lives fighting these fires...it doesn't matter how much the homes cost, or how much money one has in their pocket, how many trees and shrubs one has in their yard or on their property...it matters not where people live. Fires happen all over the place.

And as far as Im concerned, this topic belongs here just like any other..this is a community, and this is where many people/family and friends can get word to one another..I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to be here.

So please everyone, lets not complain..lets be here for our fellow man and just wish everyone over there safety.

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Boofy posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 2:01 AM

Dajadues:

While I agree that undergrowth has to be cleared and I think that anyone who doesnt should hold a faulty hose at the firefront as they contemplate the consequences of the lack of action!

The rest of your rant is totally uncalled for! Maybe this stuff is 'never said' because most people dont enjoy kicking others when they are down!!!

People often have no choise as to where they live, it usually ties in with that thing called work, and everywhere has some form of disaster from nature to spring on us....unless you can offer your safe little backyard as an alternative....put the kettle on, i take white and two.....

I do hope you are not thinking that you are the only one who cares about animals???? look at peoples' galleries and even an avatar or three and I think you will find that you are not a solo voice there!

Hang on....you mentioned animals. Glad you have some feeling then. But you act/sound as if no one else does. That is not so. Look at the galleries and an atavar or three. EVERYONE hates animals being killed and hurt.

As for the 'rich in CA' that your heart doesnt care about well what about ordinary people, people like the ones in this thread staring down the mouth of the inferno (I apologise if any here are part of the rich in CA and feel offended by the comparison)

Have a nice day Dajadues, I am sure my words will not affect your nasty disposition in the slightest.

What happened to your 350 posts in your gallery...but then again who cares?

Jenny

BastBlack posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 8:47 AM

Many states use controlled burns to take out underbrush, including Florida which now also has a annual Fire Season thanks to Global Warming. California issues guidelines on protecting homes by removing flammables close to the home. But that doesn't always help. One reporter showed his home burning to the ground. He did everything he was supposed to do, but you just can't fight that strong dry Santa Ana wind. Instead of cutting down trees, California should encourage homes to be built of Stone and Steel in fire hazard regions. Cutting down trees is the like throwing gasoline on a fire. It would be better to plant more trees, especially in the tropics, to help take greenhouse gases out of the atmosphere. Cutting down nature's air purifiers will only speed up Global Warming, and turn the planet into a larger version of the environmental disaster on Easter Island which killed off most of it's population. bB

kobaltkween posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 9:19 AM

Quote - You tree huggers and your views and the CA laws that prevent people from cleaning brush around their yard are the cause of it.

first off, it was years ago on all the different "tree hugger" tv shows and sites that i've seen people talk about the problem of not allowing periodic fires in forests.  which i'm sure is years after "tree hugger" writers were publishing about the problem.  loggers aren't natural, so it's not keeping them out that's the problem.  that is, it's not as if loggers preceeded the forest, so it doesn't make sense that removing them would be the root cause of the problem.  fires are natural, and apparently us preventing small ones has been part of the problem for trees in forests.  and guess what?  the "tree huggers" working in national forests very bravely and carefully try to administer controlled fires to function in a similar way.

but that's forests.  last i checked, we weren't talking about forests. and the news is saying some of the fires were caused by arson.  i'm not sure whether or not that includes people being careless with cigarette butts or campfires, or just means people maliciously starting fires (i sincerely hope it's just carelessness or foolishness), but either way, we're talking about something that isn't entirely a natural phenomena.

someone's already corrected you about your absurd claim that people are kept from clearing out brush, so i won't bother. but where in the hell did you get such a ludicrous idea?

Quote - You don't want loggers, you don't want to ruin your views so better an entire hillshide go up in flames? I dont understand this for the life of me and never will.

wha-huh? this is a brush fire.  since when is scrub brush widely considered a nice view?  and since when did trees not obstruct a view rather than creating it?  and since when did loggers clear out your brush for you?  last i checked, they cut down trees, not landscaped your community.  if you can think of a commercially viable industry that processes scrub on a large scale, i'm sure the people of California will be very interested. 

Quote - oh yea, how bout mentioning all the dead animals and wild life all up in smoke eh? This is why my my heart does not bleed for the rich in CA. You build on top of each other, make even harder for the fire men to get to you on a damn hillside as it is. No sympathy from me.

actually, i've already  got some email from "tree hugger" organizations about people going out there to help treat pets and wild life.  since you're all about taking personal responsibility, perhaps you'll apply that to yourself and find one to donate money to.

Conniekat8 posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:09 PM

Some of the areas that burned around here have burned just a year ago, and had barely a year worth of vegetation on it. It's not the lack of clearing that was the problem.

When you have 60-100 mph winds and chunks of flammable material, regardless of where it came from (bush, power lines, cars erc), they're going to land somewhere, and most likely start another fire. Sort of like pissing in the wind.

When there's no winds like we had earlier in the week, theese fires in populated areas start all the time, and are put out very shortly. In brush areas, we have clearing and controlled burns all the time. Burning brush is the least of the problems. Especially in the 'heavily regulated rich areas that are burning now'. They're heavily fines, and the fire departments use the fines come to clear the flammables for you.

Like I said, when there are winds of that magnitude we had, clearing won't help much. Houses het showered with burning embers, and everything and anything that can go up in flames, does. Flowers, patio furniture, plastics, car paint (on your car)... embers fly inside the house, and anything in there, carpets, curtains, furniture... catches on fire.  With winds this strong, this can happen even without brush. It can happen from a neigbor knocking over their BBQ and catching the lawn on fire or, as we've seen happen pretty often from a car catching on fire.

Dajadues, I have no idea what you're talking about. Looks like you're very misinformed, and have fallen into ignorant stereotyping. If you're going to have a strong opinion, and would like it to be heard rather then discounted, you should base it on facts rather then sterotypes.

See, between fires, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and number of other natural and man made threats, there isn't a place on the planet that's safe from it all. For people, or animals. Dajadues, that includes you too.

I hope when you need help and emphaty, others have more grace and class then you and offer emphaty and helping hand. The person that may be in a position to help you may just be someone that has less then you, and considers you rich (compared to them). You obviously have enough of a living standard to have access to the computer and have 3D as a hobby. There's milions and milions of people around the world that don't have as much, and will consider you rich.

kobaltkween posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 12:57 PM

just to add: i just read on CNN that they think one of the major fires was deliberately set, and that its 3 starting points are now crime scenes.  and some guy was caught setting another fire.   they say they have no clues regarding motives.

sometimes i find people completely incomprehensible.  i can understand and can even on some level empathize with hurting others by succumbing to envy, greed, anger, ignorance, fear, etc.   it's terrible, but i understand.  i even understand banal reasons like conformity and keeping up appearances.  but i don't know if i can even begin to understand the thinking of someone who would deliberately cause this kind of disaster. 

Conniekat8 posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:21 PM

They caught one guy stting a fire in Big Bear, and follwed him home and arrested him.

There was one other guy, cops spotted him lighting a brush fire. He fled. When the cops chased and finally cornered him, he attacked them, tried to run them over with his car. They ended up shooting him. That 's up in San Bernardino, AFAIK.

The fire nearest me is the one that was deliberately set, with three starting points. There are at least two others (in San Diego) that were started under very suspicious circumstances. They're still looking at it before calling it arson for sure.

Makes me wonder if it's a few crazies feeding off of one another, or some sort of an organized effort... domestic or foreign terrorists? I'm sure we'll hear more about it when the worst calms down and they uncover more evidence.

Here in orange county, most of the houses that bured down aren't from rich people, they're from few small communities, low income people living ion less expensive county land, in canyons on the outskirts of town. They're not showing much of that on TV, but I'm presonally very familiar with the area.

Paloth posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 1:48 PM

With all the millions of people in the Los Diego area, there's bound to be a handful of crazies who feel empowered when the news tells them the area is a tinderbox just waiting to go off. The same kind of madness that makes a man gun down total strangers because his life sucks can find other outlets.

DarkEdge posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 7:59 PM

Well today has been of great improvement. We are still under evacuation and there is still a fire, but compared to the last 4 days...

I will not respond to posts I have seen and read. It utterly amazes me.
Cobalt, couldn't agree more to some of the things you said.
Connie, stay ready.

I want to personally say "thank you" to those that have offered support...I am very grateful and it has helped. 
Peggy and Eric, you doing good?

Boofy posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 8:27 PM

Glad things are improving for you. Keep safe and dont forget to get some shuteye while things are calm, even if you and a friend take turns to keep an eye on things. Best wishes.

CeeBeeVFXG posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 8:40 PM

I'm coming into this thread late (sorry) but I just wanted to wish all of our California friends to stay safe and healthy. Prayers and hugs to you all - and to all the brave and tired firefighters out there.

Cheryl

~ Meow ~

EricJ posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 10:08 PM

I'm doing fine, the fires have moved away from us heading East. There is barely a trace of smoke in the air today with some haze that I'm not sure if it was smoke or if the marine layer has come back.

Of course our good news is Julian's bad news 'cause the fire is heading their way now. Hopefully these favorable weather conditions will hold long enough for the firefighters to get the fires under control.

kobaltkween posted Thu, 25 October 2007 at 11:00 PM

i really hope everyone keeps being careful, staying safe, and keeping an eye out for change.  and i'm very gald things ae improving (if at least for some).

Kendra posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:01 PM

Unbelievable.  The rest of my comment to this person doesn't belong here so I'll just reiterate, as I stated in Lynnes thread, my hearts and prayers are with everyone affected by this.  I know what it's like to be evacuated for fires and fully expect my home and everything I own to be gone.  A few friends of mine are being sent down there to help and I hope for their safety as well.   I'm still waiting to hear from family we have down there. 

...... Kendra

Conniekat8 posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:08 PM

Hope everyone is hanging in there! DarkEdge? Peggy? Lynne? Eric? Hope you huys are out of immediate danger!
(I always forget someone, please forgive me if I did!)

It's snowing ashes around here today. The air is yucky. Everyone is coughing and sneezing and maxing out their allergy medicines and decongestants. Lot of headaches.
Hope it doesn't get much worse then this for majority. It'll be really tough on elderly and sick people.

Cinnamon369 posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 2:17 PM

Hi Everyone. We are down in the south county. If you know the area we are on the silver strand. The air seems much better today and even opened a window to get some air in. It was nice to see the sky this morning. Hope all of you are ok and doing good, be safe!!!  

We were in a pretty safe area as far as the fires go. We did get the smoke and ash from the harris fire. It's at about 50% containment last I checked. Still crossing our fingers for the people on the east side of the fire

The people here have really pulled together during this. It is truely inspiring to see how generous the people and business's here have been.  

I was here for the fires in 2003 as well and this time around there were many more fires, much larger and wider spread. Was in the Lemon Grove area back in 2003.

We have had serious drought condiditions for a few years. I believe they said this year is the dryest in 130 years. I know on CNN you are seeing mostly fancy houses and such but I assure you, many ranchers,  farms and regular folks were hard hit by this. The local coverage is covering those aspects better.

Thanks again to you all for your kind thoughts and wishes for everyone in this area! (((HUGS)))

Marianne and Family

Peggy_Walters posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 4:49 PM

We are doing great today.  Mira Mesa even had about 20 drops of rain!!!  Just enough to make the street look wet for 5 minutes, but it did seem to clear the air.  The air quality is much better - I can finally take a deep breath without having a coughing fit. 

DarkEdge posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 6:16 PM

Yes, we too are doing well. Evacuation was lifted yesterday so my better half is back home...yeah! I think we've gotten 22 drops so far. 😉

sixus1 posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 6:42 PM

Glad to hear that things are improving for you guys in CA. 

As far as any asshats go trying to make you all feel badly.....just ignore them.

--Rebekah--