Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: UV does not load correctly on figure, but does on prop, please help!

SolidusSoft opened this issue on Nov 18, 2007 · 3 posts

SolidusSoft posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 12:31 PM

Hey there!
I've got a problem with uv-map. I made this model in Wings3D(modeller) and it's consists out of 3 figures, the pole,flag and wheel. When I import the *.OBJ and place the uv map on the wheel, it renders correctly. I only mapped the front of the wheel btw.

But then I make a PHI, using PHIbuilder and by "Convert HIER file" im importing the figure, to have the sepperate parts for posing. When I then place the UV Map on the same part is all distorted, like in the image.

left one is the prop, and right one is the figure. Before continuing on the uv-map I need to get this fixed ;)

Thanks in advance for your precious help!
I'm using Poser7.

SolidusSoft posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 12:49 PM

uhm... i tried to click on Fix Seams, in UVMapper, for the *.OBJ and now it's fixed, but then what was the problem, because I don't understand what "seams" are :s
Could someone please explain that to me? :)

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 12:54 PM

Seams are the edges of polygons without other polygons.  For surfaces that are closed (like a sphere or cube), these always occur because of the topology of changing a 3D surface into a 2D surface.  The result is that at some point there is a set of polygons that usually neighbor each other in 3D which can't in 2D - this is a seam.

Think of it this way.  If you wanted to take an orange skin, remove it and flatten the outer surface onto a table, how would you do it?  You'd ... cut ... the orange skin and peel it off.  That cut will be the seam.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone