Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: brain-interface headset to sell for $299

XENOPHONZ opened this issue on Feb 21, 2008 · 21 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 1:52 AM

I saw this one linked on Drudge.  It's interesting, to say the least.  Perhaps they'll adopt it for 3D, and we'll be 'thinking' our 3D models and scenes into existence.  No more mouse / pen tablet operations.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8uuaio01&date=20080220

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Bug posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 2:22 AM

I'm excited about this and even tried to reserve one (no reserves for people outside the US :S) but I do worry a little it might vaporware. Lot's of researchers have been working  on these kinds of systems for years but the technology has been very expensive. Emotiv's website has a few renderings of a prototype and a little bit of technical information but as a whole the info seemed a bit incomplete. I have no doubt this technology is coming to home computers but I'm not entirely convinced it will be this year. When it does come I certainly will be one of the first in line for it.

ockham posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 11:41 AM

This may never be precise enough for general use, but an *affordable
*brain interface will make an unbelievably tremendous tool
for many disabled folks! 

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

XENOPHONZ posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 11:55 AM

I agree.  This particular unit is geared towards video gaming -- but I'd say that its greatest work would be for the disabled.  On top of which, the disabled might be able to enjoy the diversion of playing video games via this headset.

Conniekat8 posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 1:22 PM

Kewl!
I remember when I was about 18 years old... about 20 years ago, I had said to a few people that something like that will eventually be invented. They all got mad at me for talking such nonsense... LOL, this was at a MENSA meeting, of all places.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

SamTherapy posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 2:09 PM

Do they make a brain - mouth interface, too?  I know a few people who could use that. :biggrin:

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Conniekat8 posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 2:26 PM

Quote - Do they make a brain - mouth interface, too?  I know a few people who could use that. :biggrin:

One with restricted output?  :lol:

kuroyume0161 posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 3:18 PM

Quote - Do they make a brain - mouth interface, too?  I know a few people who could use that. :biggrin:

Foot...

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

XENOPHONZ posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 3:37 PM

Send me $299, and I'll mail back a roll of duct tape -- with free shipping!!!!!  😉

pakled posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 4:22 PM

well, first I'd have to have a brain...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

R_Hatch posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 1:28 AM

Quote - Kewl!
I remember when I was about 18 years old... about 20 years ago, I had said to a few people that something like that will eventually be invented. They all got mad at me for talking such nonsense... LOL, this was at a MENSA meeting, of all places.

Look up what MENSA means in Spanish, and then see if you feel smart for having been a member :P

ThrommArcadia posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 5:15 AM

R_Hatch, that's hilarious!

Jumpstartme2 posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 5:21 AM

Sounds pretty cool, but then we'd have to start worrying about brain tumors......Id just prefer someone come up with a modeling software that is easier to work with...like  a 'make model' button :laugh:

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

giorgio_2004 posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 5:48 AM

Quote - Id just prefer someone come up with a modeling software that is easier to work with...like  a 'make model' button

Possibly near that "Make Art" button we are asking for from the first Poser....  I could use it!  :biggrin:

Giorgio

giorgio_2004 here, ksabers on XBox Live, PSN  and everywhere else.

flibbits posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 8:33 AM

Folks,

I work with a company that develops a similar device.  It does not read emotions or thoughts.  It reads electrical impulses across the skin that trigger when certain brain waves trigger.  Some of these brain waves are associated with emotions.

Most of the functions for emotiv are unintentional, not able to be controlled very well.  In live demos the company recommends it more for atmospheric elements such as triggering attacks from in-game monsters when a user is nervous.  They demonstrated it with a Harry Potter game, and it always took a few seconds to get any of the direct triggers to do anything inside the game.

I own a similar system called Brainfingers, marketed by OCZ as the Neural Impulse Actuator.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKd_AJUUT7Q  It has directly controlled triggers along with many of the same indirect triggers.  The direct triggers are controlled by moving facial muscles.

I use it for gaming.  It frees the hands for other functions, and most 3D games have a lot of things to do such as movement, triggering special weapons and functions, etc.  As a trigger, the facial muscle functions are faster than clicking a mouse, which was proven in tests with the air force.

Right now the only brain interface devices that actually read movement signals from the brain, things like telling your hand to move, require surgery and implanted connections to the brain.

XENOPHONZ posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for that information, fibbits.

No doubt, the technology involved will improve with time.  I'm not planning on buying one -- as I don't play video games often enough for the investment to be worthwhile.

I haven't even read any Harry Potter novels, or seen any of the associated movies.  Much less played a Harry Potter video game.  😉

But it's still attention-getting technology, nonetheless.  It'll be interesting to see where they go with it down the road.

Conniekat8 posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 1:54 PM

Quote - Look up what MENSA means in Spanish, and then see if you feel smart for having been a member :P 

LOL, that's too funny. Yeah, I didn't stay a member very long, wasn't my cup of tea. So many suppdedly smart people, so little common sense, and so many over-inflated egos. Ick!

SamTherapy posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 7:31 PM

Quote - Thanks for that information, fibbits.

No doubt, the technology involved will improve with time.  I'm not planning on buying one -- as I don't play video games often enough for the investment to be worthwhile.

I haven't even read any Harry Potter novels, or seen any of the associated movies.  Much less played a Harry Potter video game.  😉

But it's still attention-getting technology, nonetheless.  It'll be interesting to see where they go with it down the road.

You think that's attention getting tech?  What about the vibrating Harry Potter broomstick?  Really not kidding.

My Store

My Gallery

XENOPHONZ posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 12:47 AM

Quote - > Quote - Look up what MENSA means in Spanish, and then see if you feel smart for having been a member :P 

LOL, that's too funny. Yeah, I didn't stay a member very long, wasn't my cup of tea. So many suppdedly smart people, so little common sense, and so many over-inflated egos. Ick!

IIRC, the late Jack Anderson (a syndicated columnist) reported that John H. Sununu (former governor of New Hampshire, and Chief of Staff under George H. Bush) tied for 2nd place on the famous Omni Magazine intelligence test (the "Mega Test") back in 1985.  The funny part was that the man who split the second-place 'super-genius' win with Sununu was a male stripper who preformed his act by burning his clothes off of himself with lit torches.  Now doing that would take brains.

JB123 posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 7:46 PM

> Quote - > Quote - Thanks for that information, fibbits. > > > > No doubt, the technology involved will improve with time.  I'm not planning on buying one -- as I don't play video games often enough for the investment to be worthwhile. > > > > I haven't even read any Harry Potter novels, or seen any of the associated movies.  Much less played a Harry Potter video game.  😉 > > > > But it's still attention-getting technology, nonetheless.  It'll be interesting to see where they go with it down the road. > > > > You think *that's* attention getting tech?  What about the vibrating Harry Potter broomstick?  Really not kidding.

Is this the article your talking about. Lol

SamTherapy posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 7:52 PM

That's the one. :D

My Store

My Gallery