Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What program can i use to convert my lightwave model with textures into a file s

stndesign opened this issue on Feb 22, 2008 · 17 posts

stndesign posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 3:02 PM

Hi
Does anyone know of a program that can convert my lightwave model into a file suitable for poser 7. Any suggestions?
Thx samuel

wheatpenny posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 3:16 PM Online Now! Site Admin

Right hemisphere has a program called Deep Exploration that can convert it for you. The program is pretty pricey, but you can download a ddemo thta is functional for a limited time.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

manoloz posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 3:33 PM

Or wait til march for the 9.5 open beta

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

GKDantas posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 4:25 PM

I use Blender to converte my Lw models to OBj format... its the best and free to do this. You will need to install the Python library but this isnt a prblem at all.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

stallion posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 5:09 PM

Attached Link: PoseRay

PoseRay can also convert Lightwave to OBJ and it's FREE

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

Angelouscuitry posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 5:55 PM

Wo'nt Lightwave let you create/export as .OBJ, or .DXF?

wheatpenny posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 6:38 PM Online Now! Site Admin

Lightwave does export as obj, but I'm assuming he doesn't have lightwave

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

GKDantas posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 7:26 PM

Lightwave convert to OBJ but is very poor to do that, it dont export the surfaces and things like that, thats why this is a new point in version 9.5 that will be out in march as a beta.

markschum posted Fri, 22 February 2008 at 10:25 PM

Lightwave exports the surfaces but not the texture info. It will export the UVs if a texture is defined in surface editor. Poser will read Lightwave 5 files , and LW can export them .

stndesign posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 3:14 AM

Thx all - but i already have tryed importing lightwave 5 into poser 7 -dosnt work on my program. I also have the obj - but it dosnt come with the textures.

Is there a  software - cheap or free that can convert the lightwave files into a poser format or something with textures included. I can import the obj - but need it with textures !

what do i do

svdl posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 3:37 AM

Adding the texture maps once the object has been imported into Poser is a breeze. Just go to the material room and add them. Then save the object to the Props library.
More important is whether the UV mapping is exported correctly from Lightwave. I do know that 3DS Max 6 has severe problems in that department.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

stndesign posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 4:21 AM

how can you tell if the uv map is exported correctly ?

svdl posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 4:26 AM

The clearest indication is applying a texture. If the texture wraps around the object in the right way, the UV mapping was exported correctly.
Use a texture map that gives a clear indication. I often use a 10x10 checkerboard map with some text added for those tests.
Another way to test - and fix - is using UVMapper by Steve Cox. I'm not sure if the free version can do the checks with a numbered/colored checkerboard map, the commercial version definitely can do it.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Angelouscuitry posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 9:24 PM

"Adding the texture maps once the object has been imported into Poser is a breeze."

I need to give textures to a lightwave poly model in poser -How

stndesign - I thought you had the model already imported?

UVDan posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 9:40 PM Forum Moderator

Deep exploration does a pretty good job of Lightwave to obj conversions.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

GKDantas posted Sat, 23 February 2008 at 9:53 PM

Try Blender, its free and works fine.

Gareee posted Sun, 08 June 2008 at 3:45 PM

Lightwave exports obj models fine fo poser.. the Version 3 millenium people were even made with it.

Once it's in poser, you need to rig it, and then apply the textures manually.. you might need to bake proceedural textures in lightwave for poser's use.

You don't use lw 5 exported objs.. you export wavefront obj files separately, and you need to have a texture allied to any polys you want to export keeping uvs intact.

Lightwave is VERY powerful, and there's no need at all for another program to use it to create poser content.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.