Forum: Blender

Subject: Just got blender...

Yur_Mom1 opened this issue on Mar 15, 2008 · 13 posts

Yur_Mom1 posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 1:20 AM

I just got blender today. I thought I'd take a little break from Poser and try something else... I installed the program, open it up and took a look for a second and said "What the hell is all this!?"
does anyone know where I can find tutorials or some getting started links or something... I swear this is really confusing. I played around for a bit but didn't get anywhere.😕

Touchwood posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 5:13 AM

Attached Link: http://www.cgtutorials.com/c3/Blender/top/1

Your right.... I felt the same when I first opened it up but after peservering with it, I can work faster in Blender than other programs. Still haven't touched half of it though. You can find some basic tutorials on the Blender site itself but here is a good resource:

RobynsVeil posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 6:16 AM

Preservere long enough and you will wish all software behaved like this. A lot of it is keyboard-shortcut based. Learn those, and the incredible power of this program will be unleashed. It is user-friendly, but you have to spend a bit of time playing with it.
Google Blender basics tutorial and I get:
blenderunderground.com/
www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~jli023/opengl/blender3dtutorial.htm
blenderunderground.com/2007/07/18/blender-basics-part-1-video-tutorial-completed/#more-19

and heaps more. You can get the basics here:
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

The biggest frustration I have is that most tutorials were done in a (slightly) older version of Blender, so you can't expect things to be exactly at the same place. However, that's not a problem limited to Blender - I also use Silo 2... which has its own learning curve, believe me, and guess what? all the tutorials out there are for Silo 1.4. In any event, the shortcut keys remain (pretty much) the same so go for it - you'll be glad you did. One hand on the keyboard, one on the mouse.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

haloedrain posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 8:29 AM

Attached Link: http://www.blender.org/education-help/video-tutorials/

I highly recommend the video tutorials on the blender 3d website.  Many of them are for older versions (some for *very* old versions), which does mean the things they use in the buttons window may have moved (e.g. the subdivision surfaces).  If you run across something like that, check out the other panels in the buttons window and the other tabs, if you still can't find it ask here :)

Molina00 posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 10:46 AM

Quote - I just got blender today. I thought I'd take a little break from Poser and try something else... I installed the program, open it up and took a look for a second and said "What the hell is all this!?"
does anyone know where I can find tutorials or some getting started links or something... I swear this is really confusing. I played around for a bit but didn't get anywhere.😕

I thought the same thing when I first downloaded Blender.  I have gotten to where I can sort of model decent stuff, but it terms of all of Blender's capabilities and I am sure I have only tapped the surface.  I have no clue how to do a lot of what's in it. 

I used the Wikibooks Noob to Pro thing that Robyn posted when I got started.  These days, when I have questions I just ask reddog, or one of the other helpful Blender experts around here. 

haloedrain posted Sat, 15 March 2008 at 11:38 AM

Yeah, Reddog just about owns the blender tutorial section here ;)  There's some good stuff in there too, btw, but unfortunately I don't think you can sort by difficulty so you'll just have to scoll through looking for beginner ones.

DramaKing posted Sun, 16 March 2008 at 1:44 PM

Attached Link: http://wiki.blender.org

I think that most Blender users have felt the same way you do upon first starting. As haloedrain already stated, there is plenty of material on using Blender. (I would especially recommend the tutorial covering Blender's interface [ http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/tutorial-folder/blender-user-interface-tutorial](http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/tutorial-folder/blender-user-interface-tutorial) ).

It is better to do one thing well, than to do many things and excel at nothing.

donlovvorn posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 10:27 AM

Hi I am new at this. My Name is Don and I am the V.P with www.trinityoftime.com .we have writers,graphic artist,sound eng. and we are building a social and game world.we are on Multiverse platform. we all share in the co. and we need modelers and animators.

haloedrain posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 11:46 AM

Hi Don, please don't hijack other threads, if you want to start talking about something new you should create a new thread instead of posting in an old one.  Keeping one general topic per thread makes it easier to follow.  The best place for a thread like this is probably the jobs forum, unless maybe you're looking specifically for Blender artists.

DramaKing posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 7:04 PM

Multiverse does sound generally related to Blender.

It is better to do one thing well, than to do many things and excel at nothing.

Yur_Mom1 posted Fri, 28 March 2008 at 11:06 PM

Quote - Hi Don, please don't hijack other threads, if you want to start talking about something new you should create a new thread instead of posting in an old one.  Keeping one general topic per thread makes it easier to follow.  The best place for a thread like this is probably the jobs forum, unless maybe you're looking specifically for Blender artists.

I think this guy, Don is a spammer. I've been on websites like Myspace for years and had countless run ins with them.

lovvus posted Mon, 14 April 2008 at 8:25 PM

No he isn't a spammer.  I work with him and we are trying to genuinely locate modelers for our MMOG.  It is kewl, I will post another thread in the jobs forum for him.

Sorry for the mistake.

haloedrain posted Mon, 14 April 2008 at 8:54 PM

Quote - Sorry for the mistake.

No worries, good luck with the project.