Forum: Bryce

Subject: OT: Carrara 6 Pro for $76.48

Analog-X64 opened this issue on Mar 17, 2008 · 8 posts

Analog-X64 posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 8:01 PM

I decided to take up the upgrade offer that came with Carrara 5 Pro included in the 3D World Magazine...  So it was supposed to be $127.47 and offer expires March 31st.

So I went to Daz3d.com and went to the Upgrade page and noticed that the upgrade was now down to $101 from $169.95.   So I proceded to buy the upgrade and entered the 3D World Coupon code which took an additional 25% off the $101 sale price so it came to $76.48

Not a bad price.

dhama posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 6:48 AM

Nothing like a good deal. however i'm not sure personally if it's worth even that... I think software is vastly overprised as it is and perhaps that shouls have been the initial price.
When I upgrade from Bryce 5.5 to 6.1 I paid around $20 I think, and that was an extremely good deal..... I understand the upgrade is so much more now.

danamo posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 2:59 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Analog-X! I might just go for that deal.

Analog-X64 posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 3:00 PM

I think $76 for something normally goes for $500+ is a very good deal.

I was lucky enough to buy Bryce 6.1 for $48.

Analog-X64 posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 3:07 PM

Quote - Thanks for the heads-up Analog-X! I might just go for that deal.

It is a great deal... considering the Full Price for the download version is $329.40.

And I love having both Bryce and Carrara.

danamo posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 4:07 PM

I agree! Bryce and Carrara work as a great team. I love 'em both. I still prefer the terrain/lattice editor in Bryce though the terrain editor in Carrara has its own strengths. I've been experimenting with exporting some of my displacement modeled rock outcrops from Carrara as an .obj file with the corresponding texture file. They import almost instantly into Bryce, and can be used on their own, or used to make an altitude mask to be used as a heightmap, for terrains or lattices in Bryce. I can make terrains that would be hard to achieve any other way in Bryce. I can use the same heightmap and texture files back in Carrara as well, so they can be doubly useful. In case you haven't already tried this, I've posted here a heightmap and mapping texture,  Cheers, Dan

danamo posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 4:08 PM

And here is the matching texture...

danamo posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 4:39 PM

Here's a lattice generated from a larger, less compressed version of the file. I made a duplicate lattice, assigned Bryce's default foilage II to it, and enlarged it a couple of digits in the attributes editor and was happy with the results. I made a couple of copies, sized them down and gave them some default Bryce mats.