Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Export problem.

trades2cash opened this issue on Apr 20, 2008 · 10 posts

trades2cash posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 1:46 PM

I have been trying to export a figure so i can change some of the mesh in blender but i keep having problems. I have the tanya figure in poser and i select her chest and export it as a wave front object. The mesh comes up fine in blender but the nipples can not be edited and they will not join with the rest of the mesh. In other words when i move the chest around the nipples stay in place. I am not sure what to select as far as when i export it out of poser and i get the dialoge box that has check box for weld body part seams and other stuff. I am new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  

ockham posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 2:00 PM

The most important checkbox is "Include existing groups". The screenshot shows how I usually set an export, with "include" checked and all other boxes unchecked.

Even then you can get problems, because modelling apps
generally treat the concept of "group" differently from Poser.
For instance, the nipples may be a different material zone,
and Blender may interpret that as a different piece altogether.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

pjz99 posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 2:36 PM

As Ockham says it is highly dependent on both how you export from Poser, using the option he shows being the key point, and how good the OBJ importer is in your modeler - not familiar with Blender so I've no idea there, but I can tell you for sure that it varies greatly from modeler to modeler.  Cinema 4D's builtin OBJ importer for example can't handle material zones and/or polygon groups.  Some other extremely important tidbits:

My Freebies

trades2cash posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 3:22 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I tried exporting with just the last box checked but i still have the same problem. It could be a blender quirk, not sure. But your replies has helped me understand exporting objects in poser a little better. It could be a blender quirk, not sure. Thanks again guys.

pjz99 posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 3:26 PM

What exactly does Blender leave you with when you import?  If the Wavefront OBJ importer is smart enough to recognize polygon groups, you should see some premade polygon selections - do you get anything like that?

May be better for you to ask around in the Blender forum(s).

My Freebies

nruddock posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 4:57 PM

The current version of Blender (2.45) offers several grouping options on import.

If you need to be able to load figures as a single editable mesh, then you still need to use UVMapper to save and restore the grouping.

Any Poser export will require welding at some point to produce a continuous mesh, but if at all possible work with the figures original OBJ from the Geometries folder.
If the figures original OBJ isn't a unimesh (like the DAZ figures), then your usually in trouble, and you'll have to cope with the mesh seams as best you can.

trades2cash posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 5:04 PM

Yes i get the chest in a wire frame and the nipples are solid but you can not select them to edit. The rest of the chest works fine i can select polygons or vertices and edit them. The nipples will not move. I can move the chest around but the nipples stay right where they originally came up. The chest is completely seperate of the nipples. When i move the chest over it is like you have deleted the nipples. I tried some of my other figures and have the same problem. I have tried different body parts and everything works great. I can select and edit at will. Its just this chest thig that has me puzzled. 

pjz99 posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 5:26 PM

I have to tell you, if this is just for personal use and you're not going to redistribute, you may not need to export from poser at all - you can copy the base OBJ file that the figure is built from, and simply morph that.  You still need to watch out for Poser's uber tiny scale, but otherwise I found this worked for me.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2698187&page=2

The result is not too useful to anybody outside yourself though.
edit: looking back on that I now realize several of those steps are redundant :rolleyes:

My Freebies

trades2cash posted Sun, 20 April 2008 at 5:41 PM

Thanks for the input. I will check it out. Appreciate all the help guys. The people of this forum have always been very helpful. Maybe someday i can help others.  Thanks again.

trades2cash posted Wed, 23 April 2008 at 4:02 PM

Update. Hey eveyone. After a couple of days i found my problem was in the way Blender imported the object. I had to deselect seperate objects from the blender import options box. Thanks to everyone for your help.