Forum: Bryce

Subject: Needed a litle help...

tom271 opened this issue on Aug 02, 2008 · 22 posts

tom271 posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 8:27 PM

I'm working on a street scene I originally made in Rhino and re making it in Bryce materials... 

One of the objects I am having trouble with is a hand rail on a fire scape.   Here is the image and I hand drew the rail...  How best to approach this...   that curve really numbs me out...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

johnyf posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 8:41 PM

Try Steves Art Gallery.
He has some great primitives to download which are ideal for this!

http://stevesartgallery.bryce-alive.net/

oop's....should have visited the site first, these aren't the ones I was thinking of.
Still worth grabbing though!
Sorry, can't remember where to get the one's I mean!

wildman2 posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 8:49 PM

draw it a paint program make it a lattice

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

johnyf posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 8:53 PM

This is the site.........http://www.iaw.on.ca/~jspirko/
However, it says they are no longer available as downloads, but he will send them if you email him!

Or you can let me have your email addy, and I will send them!

wildman2 posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 9:17 PM

here is a real quik render with the handrail drawn in psp as bmp and pgm

wildman2 posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 9:20 PM

and the source file. if saved as a pgm it's a lot cleaner Or you could use the smart pipe gizmo.

tom271 posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 10:40 PM

Thank you for your input..   A lattice is flat and I need it 3d....    It is a whole street model scene..  here is what I got so far..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

johnyf posted Sat, 02 August 2008 at 10:48 PM

You could always boolean a turus for the curve and add a cylinder to lengthen!

bikermouse posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 12:00 AM

Something along these lines?

Use a path and straighten it out and then add a bend at the end.
Make a cube and re size it to fit your specs
In attributes make the cube positive
in attributes/link select parent and use the name of your path as the parent also check the box that says constrain to path
exit attributes.
in multi replicate choose 100 copies -  x offset put 0.05 
multi replicate
select all the boxes.
there is a chain link looking thing two boxes below the attributes select it and G will appear select that.
Congratulations : you have just accomplished multi replicating a cube along a path !!
done.

tom271 posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 12:35 AM

I'll try it...  hope it works with cylinders....  Thank you.....

wildman2 posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 2:02 AM

a lattice is not flat
a pgm image would be best.just import it.

TheBryster posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 7:11 AM Forum Moderator

Tom: You'll find a handrail in my file-locker. Hope it helps.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

tom271 posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 5:20 PM

Thank you Bryster...   It did serve the purpose...   I must learn to do them my self...  what did you use for the actual curve..?   meta balls?      here is a pic of the fire scape

TheBryster posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 5:37 PM Forum Moderator

Tom: Checkout SPACEBONES. He has loads of free objects that I find extremely usefull.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

tom271 posted Sun, 03 August 2008 at 11:22 PM

Thank you I did... very nice stuff he has..

TheBryster posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 8:21 AM Forum Moderator

Tom, why on earth didn't you just copy and dismantle the Handrail I left?  You would know how it was created then.

electroglyph posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 12:04 PM

Make a positive bryce torus. create two negative bryce blocks and position them to where they intersect 90 degrees of the torus. group and you have the curved section. Rotate and lengthen a bryce cyllinder off each end and you have the rest of the rail. Mirror, rinse, repeat for the other end.

tom271 posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 2:54 PM

@Bryster:  I did break it down..   your curve at the center was all mesh...  here it is and with a torus imposed on it..  your curve seems to be slight different from the torus curve...   I wanted to learn to do curves of different angles...  torus gives a 90deg.  can I do 120deg.. 

@electro..  Yes,, I got to experiment till I learn to get different curves...

TheBryster posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 3:08 PM Forum Moderator

Tom: Send me an e-mail addy would you?

electroglyph posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 3:35 PM

Just rotate the block Z 120 degrees then line the corners back up and to the center of the torus.

electroglyph posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 3:41 PM

In Bryce 6 you can edit the torus. The default is 256 but you can make the pipe thicker or thinner.

tom271 posted Mon, 04 August 2008 at 4:25 PM

Bryster.. I sent you my e-mail...  but you know that since am a coordinator I have a renderosity site address...  

**electroglyph: ** This is the first time I ever saw that function....

I need to go to an appointment will be right back in two hours or so....