Forum: Photography

Subject: Last Week In The Gallery 32

bclaytonphoto opened this issue on Aug 10, 2008 · 26 posts

bclaytonphoto posted Sun, 10 August 2008 at 8:18 PM

Welcome to Last Week In The Gallery # 32

Once again, we have a fine collection of images selected by our staff.

I think we have a nice balance of new and established artists.

You can see the full collage with links HERE.

I think it's appropriate to give out a little information about the process.

Currently, Kort is taking some time off, and David is experiencing computer issues.

So, that leaves myself, Shari and Piet to select the images. You can do the math..It's 10 images for each of us to select.

In the past we had rules about a specific number of images each day, we don't do that anymore.. I feel it's better for the staff to have flexibility to select images..There are days when there are a lot "WOW" images..There are days when we struggle to make a selection.(at least I know I do)

We try to divide up up evenly among the staff..When people get busy or have other pressing issues, we shift the numbers around..

We select the images from Sunday through Saturday. That way each day of the week is represented.

So, the next question is what do we look for in an image?

I can say this much for sure...It has NOTHING to do with Views, comments or ratings.

Some of you may remember the old HOT 20...which ranked images by Views, comments and ratings..It was a train wreck..If you had a lot of friends, you were at the top of the list.

Please don't think I'm saying there is anything wrong with having a lot of friends who comment on your work..If you do..more power to ya !!

What we look for is excellent  photography. We look for photo's that have that certain "something".
Photo's that stand out.

We also look for the "hidden gems"... images that deserve a second look..

When I started this a few years ago..We waited till the end of the week then looked for images that has less than a set number of comments..Nice idea..but it made it tough, and it put the staff under some pressure to do it "all at once"

Try looking back at a weeks worth of images !!!

We try to find a balance between established photographers and new emerging artists.

We don't select the same artist more than two weeks in a  row.

I wasn't part of the Photo staff when this started...It is my understanding that the idea was to select image that "deserves a second look"

WE still strive for that..But, I almost feel like LWITG is bigger than us...It's kinda evolved and taken on a life of it's own...

One thing I do have to brag about...is we are now at week 32 and we have a collage for EVERY SINGLE WEEK....and a record of it !!!!!

If you have ANY QUESTIONS...feel free to drop me a line...

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook