Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT - Got a good laugh from the new CP news letter.

Tashar59 opened this issue on Sep 02, 2008 · 26 posts

Tashar59 posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 4:17 PM

So I'm having my first cup of coffee and I'm going through my email.

CP has a new figure coming out. It was a good thing I had just finished my coffee before I read it. I would have had a major mess to clean up on new keyboard.
It reads.
"Like her sister characters in the G2 series, Olivia will feature superior modeling and rigging."

Scary aint it.

bopperthijs posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 4:34 PM

I believe they promised her when they made the male G2 figures as a female component  of Kelvin. Well they took an awfull lot of time to finish her, so perhaps she will have some new features but we will see...

regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

dlfurman posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 4:49 PM

At least you got the newsletter.....

(Runs to go check mailbox....Nope still ain't go it) :(

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

originalkitten posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 4:50 PM

me neither :O( sniff lol

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

dlfurman posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 7:37 PM

Went to CP and got it sussed.

Methinks you need to be an active Passport Member.

I do hope Olivia is not a Passport Exclusive.
That would suck!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

LostinSpaceman posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 8:40 PM

Quote - Went to CP and got it sussed.

That would suck!

Yeah, considering how she was promised to the original Passport Membership over 2 years ago. Now suddenly it's only "Active" passport members. Bah! I don't use the females that much anyway.

Tashar59 posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 9:15 PM

I had forgot that she was first talked about a couple of years ago. I would think she would be for anyone that wants to pay for her with the better deal for the passpor members.

My laugh was more about the bragging of the socalled "superior" rigging. Has anyone over there actually posed one of thier figures? And I don't mean pointing the arms at the ground without bending any other joints.

Believable3D posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 9:57 PM

Sounds like she's supposed to be more advanced than the others: "She will also include exclusive features such as Advanced Body Control and Deformation Systems." Along with "photorealistic shaders."

I don't own any Poser figures yet, but as Poser Pro is on its way, I suppose I soon will... but from what I've seen from renders at CP... the figures don't usually look as realistic as the DAZ ones. 

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

mathman posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 10:04 PM

Anyone got a link to this ? 
I went to CP and couldn't  find it anywhere.
PS Lets hope she goes further than Kelvin, who was a great figure but for whatever reason was not all that popular.

Believable3D posted Tue, 02 September 2008 at 10:10 PM

Can't provide a link, as the info was in an email, not a web page. 

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

mathman posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 12:31 AM

Should still have a link surely, as CP's newsletters link to everything they advertise in the email ?

Believable3D posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 12:41 AM

Quote - Should still have a link surely, as CP's newsletters link to everything they advertise in the email ?

No, sorry-- Olivia's pic was a linked, but it was just a general Passport products page.

aeilkema posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 1:52 AM

"Like her sister characters in the G2 series, Olivia will feature superior modeling and rigging."

It all depends how you view this. Of course it's very common for the major companies creating figures to brag and even lie about thier models, but in this case I guess when you compare to other figures, they're not far from what my experience is.

Compared to the DAZ line of figures the G2 series do feature superior rigging. That is not so say that it leaves us wanting, but if you do make a comparisment G2 figures have been rigged superior compared to the main competition. I do use the DAZ figures as much as I do use the Poser figures and it amazes me each time when posing how much the DAZ lack behind when it comes to easy and natural posing. Often their rigging gets in the way of the pose and this is much less the case with poser figures.

With each figure that the Poser team releases there is improvement and progress made, which can't be said from DAZ figures, at times they seem to be a step backward from the previous figure and still face the same (and new) issues the previous model faced. 

At least that's my 2 cents worth on the matter.

I haven't tried Olivia (even though I could already do so) since I have no interest in another figure begging me to buy clothes.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

nghayward posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 6:38 AM

Quote - Went to CP and got it sussed.

That would suck!

http://www.contentparadise.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2413&page=9

This link shows in December 2006 Tori answering a question by TrekkieGrrrl, where it was confirmed "people who were passport members at the time where Olivia was promised, still get her if they're no longer PassPort members when she finally arrives"

As I fall into that group I hope they still stand by the promise.

nghayward posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 6:42 AM

Quote - Can't provide a link, as the info was in an email, not a web page. 

http://news.contentparadise.com/index_pa.html At the momment this link points to the newsletter. (Though it will probably be changed to anither newsletter shortly.)

Dead_Reckoning posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 10:04 AM

Quote - "Like her sister characters in the G2 series, Olivia will feature superior modeling and rigging."

I haven't tried Olivia (even though I could already do so) since I have no interest in another figure begging me to buy clothes.

Correct me if I am wrong here.
Part of the G2 Family benefits is that They all have the "Same Body".
To me that means that G2Olivia will be able to wear G2Sydney and G2Jessi clothes as well as use the RDNA G2 Ultimate Body Morphs.

Hopefully Colm or Netherworks will make and Ultimate Head Morphs Set for OliviaG2.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

LostinSpaceman posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 12:01 PM

> Quote - > Quote - Went to CP and got it sussed. > > Methinks you need to be an active Passport Member. > > I do hope Olivia is not a Passport Exclusive. > > That would suck! > > > > [ http://www.contentparadise.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2413&page=9](http://www.contentparadise.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2413&page=9) > > This link shows in December 2006 Tori answering a question by TrekkieGrrrl, where it was confirmed "people who were passport members at the time where Olivia was promised, still get her if they're no longer PassPort members when she finally arrives" > > As I fall into that group I hope they still stand by the promise.

Well I did a screen grab of that post before it dissappears forever!

XENOPHONZ posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 12:34 PM

I'll judge the new figure after I see it and try it out for awhile.

Quote - Lets hope she goes further than Kelvin, who was a great figure but for whatever reason was not all that popular.

1.  He's male -- which fact automatically consigns him over to MAX 10% niche status in the Poser world (likely less) -- right out of the box.  Even if he's a "superior" figure.
2.  He has a pedigree which comes from a line of figures with mediocre popularity at best.  The only one with signs of breakout being Miki.

Olivia, eh?  I'm always interested in new figures.  If she's a good one -- then she's good.  Let's hope that she is.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

kobaltkween posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 1:07 PM

yeah.  i waited and waited and waited for Olivia, then dropped membership because there was no sign of her.  if they don't give her to us, i'll be pretty peeved.

Khai posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 2:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.contentparadise.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3340&page=10

stop worrying.. read the announcement by Starlet at the link.

LostinSpaceman posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 2:45 PM

They finally learned that making a promise means you keep it without trying to change it to something else along the way. That's good to know.

ir posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 4:59 PM

I took one look at G2, loaded and tried a couple morphs, never loaded it again. Terrible looking figure, as are most of the figures included with Poser.

Tashar59 posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 5:42 PM

I won't say no to a new figure, They all have a use and I'm hoping they got someone that knows how to set up JPs this time.

*"Correct me if I am wrong here.
Part of the G2 Family benefits is that They all have the "Same Body".
To me that means that G2Olivia will be able to wear G2Sydney and G2Jessi clothes as well as use the RDNA G2 Ultimate Body Morphs."

Now that would be a great bonus, wouldn't it.

As for that answer link. That was nothing more than a berating how it's the communities fault with an, "Olivia is the greatest yet and quit whining, your going to get her," sprinkled on top.

XENOPHONZ posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 6:00 PM

If Olivia is "the greatest figure yet", then I'll use her in my scenes.  Probably mixed in with V4, SP3, V3......M3(4?), James, Willie, Gertrude -- whoever.  It doesn't matter: so long as the figure accomplishes what I want it to do in a scene.

Khai posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 6:11 PM

and with the backhanded crap in this thread I bow out. the stench is quite over powering.

XENOPHONZ posted Wed, 03 September 2008 at 6:12 PM

I've found that mixing different base figures in a single scene can help with the variety issue.  Even when they are heavily morphed: Poser figures can still remind you of their base default -- or at least they can do this to experienced eyes.  A non-3D'er might not notice that all four of the individuals depicted in a scene are actually variously morphed V4's -- but most intermediate-to-advanced Poserites probably would notice.  Throw in a couple of other figures -- particularly some of the Blue Moon figures (rarely used) -- and you might spice up that V4 or two in a scene with some mixed variety in the process.  Keep 'em guessing.  V4 will still be my mainstay -- but there aren't any moral or ideological issues involved in choosing to use other figures along with her.  Or even instead of her.

It'll be interesting to see what SM has done with Olivia.