Forum: Vue

Subject: multi pc rendering

bigdave1960 opened this issue on Oct 11, 2008 · 2 posts

bigdave1960 posted Sat, 11 October 2008 at 8:43 PM

I am using vue 6 infinite to render images using 2 pc2's one is using win xp 3GHz dual core cpu and 3 GB of ram the other runing win vista prem 2.2 GHZ quad core cpu and 4GB of ram Can any one tell me if there is any advantage (or otherwise) to changing the tile size .or for what reason you might want to do that

Dim_Reaper posted Mon, 13 October 2008 at 12:17 PM

I've not done multi-machine rendering for a while, but the last time I did I was using a 2.4GHz Quad, a 3.4GHz P4 and a 2.4GHz P4.  I found that with a larger tile size the faster two computers were generally finished and waiting around doing nothing whilst the slowest was still rendering its last tile.

So I'd have to say that the ideal tile size is dependent on the comparative speeds of your computers.

I do remember being a bit annoyed at myself on one render I did between just the fastest two machines - it was actually a few minutes slower on the network render than it was just on the quad alone - when I messed about with the tile size it got better, but for me it was a case of trial and error.

i7 5960X, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Professional.  Running Daz Studio 4.11, Poser 11, Vue Inf 7, Photoshop CS4