Forum: Community Center

Subject: Having trouble figuring out how to share a texture I made

DarQueBird opened this issue on Oct 18, 2008 · 9 posts

DarQueBird posted Sat, 18 October 2008 at 11:05 PM

Hello everyone,   I made a texture for the Pixie Dust Dress and I would like to share it as a freebie but I just can't seem to figure out how to do this. I am using Poser 7 and Windows Vista.   I can add the texture to my pose library in poser 7 downloads but when I go to apply it to the figure nothing happnes. Here is a picture of what I am seeing. (I captured the screen after I had clicked to apply the texture)

I know I am doing something wrong but not sure what it is. Is there anywhere I can go to get a detailed tutorial on how to save and share textures? I have been trying to figure this out all day and just cant seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thank you very much for any and all help you can give.
~heidi~

Jumpstartme2 posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 1:28 AM

Try this link. It'll walk you thru some basics of making MAT files.  😉

http://www.muskateergraphics.com/tutorials/MATtutorial.html

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

DarQueBird posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 12:50 PM

Hi! Thanx so much for the tut! I is extremely helpful but now I am having another problem. (argh!!) I am all the way to the end of the tut and I am getting this error when I try to save my file:

I think most of the problems I am having are Windows Vista related.. I am the administrator of my acct and I can't understand why I can't save this file.

Do you know what it is that I am supposed to do to be able to save this? This is so frustrating...
Thanx again so much for your help. It is much appreciated.
~heidi~

DarQueBird posted Sun, 19 October 2008 at 12:52 PM

sorry, my image was not sized right and looked way blurry. Here is a little clearer pic of the error I am getting. thanx again for your help.

markschum posted Mon, 20 October 2008 at 12:27 PM

The easy way to make a mat file in Poser 7 is to load the figure and apply the material you want to save .  This doesnt work for earlier poser versions , because they cant save a mat group.
then in the material room , save a material group to the mat library, name it something meaningful.
then copy the xxx.mc6 file from the material library folder to the pose folder and rename it xxx.pz2
then open it in notepad and change the line that reads mtlCollection to figure  - thats it - you are done , I like to make a nicer thumbnail for it and add text so its obvious its a mat pose.  poser uses 91 x 91 png for the thumbs in the libraries.

xxx.mc6 is whatever you named the file. you can do the same with an mt5 file. mt5 is ONE material group, mc6 is multiple materials.

hope this helps.

DarQueBird posted Mon, 20 October 2008 at 1:12 PM

thanxs guys for the replies. I really appreciate it. I have finally gotten my dress saved and will upload to share soon. Hope someone can use.
Thanx again for the help.
~heidi~

markschum posted Mon, 20 October 2008 at 5:10 PM

try right click on the poser.exe file and set it to run as administrator.  I think that fixes the file issue. Vista does not like using the program folders for user data .

Gini posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 6:06 PM

Quote - The easy way to make a mat file in Poser 7 is to load the figure and apply the material you want to save .  This doesnt work for earlier poser versions , because they cant save a mat group. 
then in the material room , save a material group to the mat library, name it something meaningful. 
then copy the xxx.mc6 file from the material library folder to the pose folder and rename it xxx.pz2
then open it in notepad and change the line that reads mtlCollection to figure  - thats it - you are done , I like to make a nicer thumbnail for it and add text so its obvious its a mat pose.  poser uses 91 x 91 png for the thumbs in the libraries. 

xxx.mc6 is whatever you named the file. you can do the same with an mt5 file. mt5 is ONE material group, mc6 is multiple materials. 

hope this helps. 

Markshum, 
Thanks for this explanation .... I had no idea it was this much simpler in Poser 7  !
 In light of that  could you possibly tell me this :  if I follow this method in PoserPro on a Mac will anybody other than those with a Mac and PP or Poser7 be able to use it  ?
I wouldn't think so ... and I imagine in Notepad ( Textedit )  I'll need to do some extra editing of the resulting Mat file ( ie  those changes to make it 4.01 instead of 6/7 and losing refs before the 'texture' part of the line as suggested in the muskateer tute (  great tute that  btw, very easy to understand  ! )

Is that correct ? Or does it become a more complicated again if I want to make Mats to share ?

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

Gini posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 10:01 AM

Never mind,  I found the answer at Rdna.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python