Mon, Sep 9, 4:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Antonia - Opinions?

odf ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 2:55 AM

Since I'm having so much fun with morphs lately, does there happen to be a function in Poser that removes unwanted deltas? Like if I really like a morph, but it accidentally moves a few extra vertices, can I select those vertices and tell Poser to throw away those deltas?

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 5:51 AM · edited Fri, 09 July 2021 at 5:55 AM

In poser 8? Jeez, IIRC you can delete them in the hierarchy editor if you have show all parameters checked. Locate and double click selected. In 11 it's an option in the parameters options drop down also if you have the morph dial selected. I don't have 8 installed so I can't be certain.

Or you can use this, which I still use for getting rid of extraneous empty dials generated by spawn operations. It works in windows 10 so I imagine it works in earlier versions, it's an external standalone...

Morph Manager

https://web.archive.org/web/20190812005225/http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlutility.html

Or you can use Dimension3D's Binary Morph Editor, which is pretty useful for all sorts of things. It's a product here.

odf ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 5:57 AM

FYI I have Poser 12 now. :-)

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 5:58 AM

Are you using external binary or embedded?

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:01 AM

In 12, click the little white right pointing triangle at the top right of the parameter palette. With dial selected choose delete morph.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:03 AM

Any old python scripts you have no longer work in 12. Something to be aware of. FYI.

odf ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:04 AM

Oh, I haven’t made any morph files yet. I’m just asking because it’s bound to happen.

odf ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:06 AM

I didn’t mean delete a whole morph, just zero out the deltas on selected vertices.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:10 AM

Double click selected parameter, reset.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:11 AM

Also. There's a master sync parameters option now.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:16 AM

For injections, file export morph injection. Also take a look at the new loading and spawning operations in the figure menu.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:21 AM · edited Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:22 AM

I'm heading off to work now. Any more morph related questions or whatnot I'll be glad to try and answer once home. They've added new entries to the manual for specifics.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:34 AM · edited Fri, 09 July 2021 at 6:39 AM

Sorry, a correction, not at Poser and putting on my boots but to reset a parameter it's the little white arrow on the relevant parameter. It has options to reset and edit dependencies etc.

Edit; both my answers were correct. It's a single click on the selected parameter. 2 methods to reset. Now I'm late lol.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 7:42 AM
Site Admin

If you are making a morph with Poser's morph tool, and you accidentally move the wrong vertices, there's a bandage-looking tool that restores, that should fix it for you. If it's done in another program, I don't know if that will work.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 7:49 AM
Site Admin

There's also a "restrict to" (group or material) option that will help prevent you from moving the wrong things. You can only use it on one option at a time, but you can switch options in the same morph. It doesn't remove your work, it just confines what you're currently working on.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

odf ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 11:58 PM

Thank you both! I think I'll reacquaint myself with the morph tool and see if the band aid works on imported morphs. That would be pretty awesome, to be honest.

In the meantime, I guess Poser 12 insists on producing INJ poses with external pmd files? I found the option for turning them off in preferences, but that only seems to apply to scene files. I mean, it's nice enough that it can make morph injection files now, at all, but having the deltas in the pose files would make them a bit more, let's say versatile.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 1:08 AM

I made a couple of nose morphs for Antonia tonight. They're free to use and share in any free package.

NBNG

Nose_Beak.png

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 1:08 AM

Nose_Gone.png

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 1:10 AM

manifest.png

odf ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 1:20 AM

Nice work, primorge! The second one is half-way to an Antonia alien character.

By the way, I can confirm that the Morph Tool's restore function works on injected morphs. Pretty awesome!

odf ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 2:44 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Had a bit of a play setting up materials for our girl in Superfly. Just the standard SaintFox texture and a teensy bit of subsurface scattering looks surprisingly nice already. Had to change the skinning method to get rid of visible body part seems, but otherwise it went almost too easy so far. :-)

Toni-in-Superfly.jpg

odf ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 4:25 AM

Having played with the morph tool for a minute, I have to say I quite like it now. I never used to back in the day, but couldn't say whether that reflects on the quality of the tool back in Poser 8, or simply the fact that I had gotten so used to low-poly vertex pushing in Wings.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 12:16 PM

A couple of ear morphs. Free to use and share in any free package.

EGEG

earsgone.png

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 12:16 PM

earsgrow.png

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 12:17 PM

egegmanifest.png

odf ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 5:07 PM

So smooth!

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 5:51 PM

I haven't gotten to lumpy yet lol. You don't mind me posting these here?

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 5:52 PM

...also, a little bummed the back half of her eyes aren't uv mapped.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 5:56 PM

...also encountering a bit of what appears to be normal related artifacts with the Lash cards. Maybe it's a Poser 11 thing but switching normals forward off and on again fixes it.

odf ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 6:58 PM

As long as the TOS allow, post away!

Do you mean the back halves of her eyeballs? How lazy of me.

Ha, I wrote a simple parametric mesh generator a few weeks ago for work, and the first feedback I got from the colleague who's using it was that I had managed to flip the normals the wrong way.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 7:21 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2021 at 7:23 PM

Funny story, years ago I was commenting in a thread here regarding eyes. Bagginsbill was in the discussion. Anyway, someone asked what's the difference between claw shell styled uv maps for eyes opposed to the split hemisphere style. I commented that a lot of times the back half of the eye's UVs would have a lot of texture stretching with the split hemisphere, and pointed to Bagginsbill's BBEye as an example of that stretching. As opposed to, say, V4's eye maps that don't have as much stretching.

Bagginsbill countered "well who's ever going to look at the back of the eyes?"

I responded "who can say to what purpose a model will be used by someone?"

Hence all of the Daz millenium and Genesis creature morph packages. Some people like that sort of thing...

2021-07-10 (3) copy.png

odf ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 7:27 PM

Freaky! Well, if you wanted floating eyeballs, you could supposedly always use standalone ones.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2021 at 7:38 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2021 at 7:41 PM

That's someone elses problem lol.

But. Yeah. Or a procedural on the sclera with these and an image map on the iris. That should work well enough on Antonia's eyes.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2021 at 7:49 PM

Morph Test Request

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2963392

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 10:08 PM

"Nice work, primorge! The second one is half-way to an Antonia alien character."

aliensketch-1.png

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 1:06 AM

Alientonia! Awesome!

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 7:27 AM

Wait a minute. Am I reading this license correctly? You can alter and redistribute the Antonia cr2 and obj as long as the license file and credit to you as the original creator is included in the redistribution. Commercial and free?

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 8:19 AM

Yes, that’s what the Creative Commons attribution license says.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 8:28 AM · edited Tue, 13 July 2021 at 8:32 AM

That's probably the most liberal license for a Poser figure I've seen. At least one this developed.

Is that geometry switching with the toe caps? Haven't looked in the cr2 yet for alternateGeom...

Edit; nevermind, I don't recall seeing a toe cap obj in the geometries folder.

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 4:56 PM

No, it's not geometry switching. You still want to keep the toes underneath for transparent socks.

I think nowadays I wouldn't have given her toe caps, but back then people convinced me that making conforming stockings was a pain and stockings via textures was the way to go.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 5:14 PM

I read that. Still a nice feature I think. I was earlier reading the part where you were having problems with the face UVs and distortions with a large unwrap. I was wanting to scream into the past... select the vertices you want pinned and run the unwrap (wings) again in smaller increments lol. Looks like you figured that trick out though. I have to say I like Antonia quite a bit, she's making me neglect my other projects.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 5:20 PM

If I can ask a more personal question, why did you walk away from Antonia for so long? I was always curious why the figure had all that storm and then you went hush... And frankly I'm surprised more people haven't popped into here to comment or at least say hi.

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 6:04 PM

Mostly burnout! Getting Antonia to where I wanted her took too much energy, especially with the tools available to me at the time, which were extremely frustrating to work with. Also I had neglected my other projects for too long, and those took priority. So essentially I finished her up and quit.

I can't speak for anyone else, obviously. I think there was an expectation that Antonia would at least get some uptake and support from the wider community, and when that didn't happen even after RDNA featured here...

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 6:19 PM · edited Tue, 13 July 2021 at 6:21 PM

noticed there aren't many conforming clothes for her. I'll have to grab the crossdresser license for her. I've had a lot of good results with converting V4 conformers to La Femme with Crossdresser. I don't think I've ever once used the fitting room, which is weird because I'm comfortable using the set up room. I also have D3d's Morphing Clothes which is real handy.

In any case I really like Antonia, especially with that license. Any minor problems I might see with her base are very easily changed, and very specific to subjective taste. Thank you so much and also thanks to Phantom3d for rigging her so nicely. She's a great Poser figure that I plan on using quite a bit. Better late than never :)

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 8:27 PM

Little nitpick: Phantom3d did the initial rigging and then of course later made the weight-mapped version, but I spent a LOT of time tweaking the setup and joints in Antonia-1.2.0 and making all those JCMs. So it's a true team effort there. On the other hand, I can take no credit at all for the standard UV mapping. That was all MikeJ. All I managed to come up with is that weird "A" mapping. :-)

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 8:51 PM

I really need to go back and read through this whole thread, though. My memory is so bad, it's all an impenetrable haze. :-)

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 9:13 PM · edited Tue, 13 July 2021 at 9:22 PM

odf posted at 8:49PM Tue, 13 July 2021 - #4423153

Little nitpick: Phantom3d did the initial rigging and then of course later made the weight-mapped version, but I spent a LOT of time tweaking the setup and joints in Antonia-1.2.0 and making all those JCMs. So it's a true team effort there. On the other hand, I can take no credit at all for the standard UV mapping. That was all MikeJ. All I managed to come up with is that weird "A" mapping. :-)

I only read up into the thread as far as he had started rigging Antonia, I know you made the JCMs. There's still alot to read lol but yeah.

I think I might make some prop eyes for her (actually I have some from a monster head figure, Cthog, that I made which I'll refit and repurpose)...

Cthog rawhead full.jpg

and a couple of painted skins, to help create some characters. Hair refits too, which is easy and I enjoy doing as a distraction...

I think if you're going to do fitness morphs for her you should use subdivision morphs...

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 9:22 PM

Cthog looks great. They must be using their brain a lot, it seems quite buff.

Yeah, I vaguely remember deciding that it would be okay to not give her the very best eyes possible because it's so easy to buy (or make if one is so inclined) a set of eye props.

Subdivision morphs are a new concept to me. Sounds interesting. When making Antonia, I sculpted on the low-res version and then did a subdivision step to get to the regular version. So I got quite used to introducing blocky features and predict how they would look smoothed out. These days I guess there a plenty of multi-resolution editing tools to do that kind of thing with better feedback.

odf ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 10:25 PM

But I presume a subdivision morph is one with genuine extra detail in the subdivided mesh?

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 14 July 2021 at 5:19 AM · edited Wed, 14 July 2021 at 5:29 AM

I've done that before, working on a lower resolution mesh and then importing onto a higher resolution mesh. It's especially useful for expression morphs as it's easier to grab loops and chunks of topology for area changes that predictably effect neighboring areas.

If I remember correctly I would sculpt on a lower res mesh, load as morph, export again, subdivide, and load that onto a higher res version in scene. So I was working on a couple of obj/prop versions of the figure in the same scene, each at a different resolution. I think the extra step was to maintain vertex order as I was using wings and it's magnet falloffs to do the morphing and subdividing. Blender and it's proportional editing feature has replaced wing's magnet options for that kind of stuff for me. Basically the same though, but with more conventional gizmos and adjustable falloff cursor. Back then I was using Poser 8, I jumped from using version 8 to 11.

Anyway, subdivision morphs have a couple of different ways of working in Poser... Depending if you bake down for subdivision. Its basically "works at any res or works at a specific level". It's in scene subdivision, via unimesh skinning, rather than rendertime micropolygonal displacement.

See chapter 36, page 940 of the user manual for using subdivision morphs in Poser with the morphing tool. Also there's subdivision support and a bake down option with GoZ to Zbrush. I suspect that you might be able to use sculpting tools other than the morphing brush or Zbrush for subdivision level morphs in Poser (such as blender, mudbox, or even wings) but it requires an export method that maintains vertex order after welding and a means to produce a viable obj with poser subdivision on export. Exporting directly from poser to obj with poser subdivision active produces an empty obj file. Using a utility like PML maintains a viable subdivided obj via the exporter but I haven't fully tested the results.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.