Forum: Vue

Subject: Question Re: Chipp Walters Interior Pak

metabog opened this issue on Oct 29, 2008 · 6 posts

metabog posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 12:32 PM

Question for Chipp Walters, I'm attempting to render this scene from a side view looking into the covered porch area. I've been experimenting with using your Interior Pak atmosphere and settings. Do you think I may be barking up the wrong tree here? Is this covered area not enough of a closed space to work with those settings?

Peggy_Walters posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 2:02 PM

Just a covered porch area does not always need Radiosity.  I'd try a Specrtral atmosphere with Global Illumination first and adjust the light balance and sky dome lighting gain.  It will render much quicker. 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

bruno021 posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 2:11 PM

And Chipp's pack is meant for indoor renders, his settings may not be suitable for outdoor renders. To be honest, I rarely use radiosity for outdoor renders, global illumination or ambient occlusion can do a better job.

chippwalters posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 2:50 PM

metabog,

Nice model. With so much light already available, you may get away with GI, but Radiosity, IMO, is your best bet for an interior rendering like this.

Here's a quick render I created based on your scene. It's rendered in 'Final' quality for speed purposes, but you should probably render it with a higher quality when you have time.

If you want to use the sun and it's shadows as the primary light source, then try these settings:

Start off with the New Orleans atmosphere. It's a standard atmosphere and as such will render faster than a spectral atmosphere-- and you probably don't need the spectral atmosphere effects with a close up render (unless you're planning on showing a lot of the sky).

Adjust your sun direction so your shadows fall where you want them. I also added a bit of softness to the sun light (5 degrees). Then use these atmosphere settings:

best,

Chipp

metabog posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 9:35 PM

Thanks!

Chipp thanks for your advice this does seem to be working well as a foundation - I'll tweak and play with the settings to see where it goes.

Peggy and Bruno - I'll also try your approaches and see what I come up with.

Peggy_Walters posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 9:57 PM

I love the look of Radiosity, but rarely use it since it renders so slow. 

That may change since I got a new spiffy super computer at work  :thumbupboth: 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html