Forum: Blender

Subject: Right way to import character obj with textures into Blender ?

Mannixman opened this issue on Nov 01, 2008 · 3 posts

Mannixman posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 11:27 AM

Dear community,

I am trying to import a V4 character into Blender and stumble.
The basic obj imports fine from DAZ Studio but the textures don't quite.

I let Studio's export write a obj,mtl and collect maps and everything is put into a folder. I open the obj in Blender and while I mostly can see the textures in Object mode viewport, when rendering they come out slightly wrong and extremely pale. I also get a sawtooth like pattern over the shaded mesh, which seems to appear like material groups - and can't find a way to select the eyes or finger nails?

Can someone please give an amateur a solid run down on how to import a textured obj with everything needed to render well?

My aim is to import characters to try my hand at learning to make clothing. But I also would like to try Blender SSS and several other renderers on customised fully textured characters.

jestmart posted Sat, 01 November 2008 at 9:28 PM

Blender still only allows 16 materials to be assigned to a single object.  If V4 is anything like V3 there are a lot more then 16 material zones.  You can use UV Mapper Classic ( it is free, Google it) to reduce the total.  The separate skin zones could be be re-assigned to a single zone, without having the figure I can't give you much more advice then that.

Mannixman posted Sun, 02 November 2008 at 1:31 PM

Thanks for reminding me about the materials limit, jestmart.

I'm still a newbie and lack lots of deeper 3D knowledge. Have downloaded the utility and will try that way.