Forum: Vue

Subject: * * * Vue challenge for November 2008 - golf course * * *

agiel opened this issue on Nov 05, 2008 · 23 posts

agiel posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 8:39 AM

As suggested by Trepz in the theme discussion thread for november, this month's theme is about representing a hole in a golf course.

I leave it up to you to make it as realistic as possible (with perfectly manucured lawn, sand areas, little flags ... ) or as imaginative as you want (golf under water ? on the moon ? ).

The only requirement is to make sure the scene is immediately recognizable as a golf course.

Good luck everybody.

impish posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 11:17 AM

I'm tempted to return to my last pro 3D project 10 years ago - modeling the holes in a golf course in VRML.  I'll only twitch occasionally and the maniacal laughter shouldn't wake my neighbours.  Do you think it will bother them if I start eating flies?

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

GaryMiller posted Fri, 07 November 2008 at 2:47 AM

I am working on my image as we speak.  A golf course...................hmmm.  This is gonna be a toughie.

GaryMiller posted Fri, 07 November 2008 at 3:07 PM

This is my WIP so far.  I am about 15% finished.  Just the global shape and textures.  Now on to fine tuning it and adding the details.

agiel posted Fri, 07 November 2008 at 8:49 PM

Great start !

Thelby posted Sun, 09 November 2008 at 4:52 AM

Gary, what would you say that is? About a par 4 - 460 yards. Of course Tiger could make it in 3!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

GaryMiller posted Sun, 09 November 2008 at 8:00 PM

It depends on the scale of the golfers you import, but I would guess a par 4

pmareschal posted Mon, 10 November 2008 at 2:06 AM

Hi guys,
There isn't a lot of images of golf courses made by Vue, or any other 3D program. I don't know why. Make a Halloween contest and there we go: zillions of images of zombies, pumkins, etc. But a contest about landscaping a golf course (or just a hole): Nada.
I feel it is a really tough one. And congratulation to those who give it a try.
If you seach for "golf simulator" around, there are companies specialized in rendering golf course scenery to play the game in front of a large screen. Some do a decent job at rendering nice landscape (from terrain elevation, position, of trees, houses, etc.). There are also companies specialized in "yardage books" (little booklets that explain the golf course). They also do a decent job (althought fairly standardized as far as sceneries goes).
Well, I'm just curious to see who will come up with whole hole sceneries. Local sceneries like a couple of golfer on a green are easier to do, but a whole hole, from tee to green, must be a tough one.

Trepz posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 3:11 PM

I KNEW it was gonna be a tough one when i suggested it for a contest about 3-4 months ago...but no one here was biting:D

-Paul

I still say it would make a really kick ass contest with prizes and stuff...as it is a wicked nasty challenge, and has everything Vue is made for(;

"Many are willing to suffer for their art. Few are willing to learn to draw."

Shari123 posted Fri, 14 November 2008 at 12:58 PM

Definitely not a professional work, but I did manage to create a golf course! I can't afford Photoshop, so I had to adapt the tutorial to another program. Not the best results, but I managed. Please note: I've never played golf in my life, so my course is probably not all that realistic.

I can't figure out how to attach my render. When I figure it out, I'll post it.

Shari123 posted Fri, 14 November 2008 at 5:25 PM

One last attempt to post my render and if it doesn't work, I'll post it in the gallery.

GaryMiller posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 4:44 AM

HEY!  You are there.  Right on.  I like your cart path and it's jagged edges, looks more like a walking path.  Very nice.  And I like how the hillsides show dirt on them.  Good work.

GaryMiller posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 4:47 AM

Here's a tip:  Do a google search for "golf score cards".  Look at the images it comes up with and you will find lots of layouts for golf courses.  Or do a search for "golf course layouts"  you will find a ton of images to use as a reference.

Trepz posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 4:51 AM

Nice start.

"Many are willing to suffer for their art. Few are willing to learn to draw."

Thelby posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 2:48 PM

Hey, I know I lost a ball after Tee Off in that sandtrap on the left. I had to forfit a stroke because I couldn't find that dang thing!!!
Nice Work Shari and congrats on the first one, too!!!!!

Homer. posted Thu, 27 November 2008 at 10:27 AM

Attached Link: Ury Estate Promo (Golf animation towards the end)

[![](http://8o6c5g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pEpttmkEv1m6HtAJSs6H6rFrjBRCorcJGYPl6fRaYmlesT1-Jsaq7Wp2hG79qHwz_O9EKzOq5Eb0/Figure%202%20-%20Render%20of%20golf%20course.jpg)](http://8o6c5g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pEpttmkEv1m6HtAJSs6H6rFrjBRCorcJGYPl6fRaYmlesT1-Jsaq7Wp2hG79qHwz_O9EKzOq5Eb0/Figure%202%20-%20Render%20of%20golf%20course.jpg)

Hey guys! My 1st ever post haha.

Here is a golf course image that I made (in Vue, after touches in Photoshop) as part of a promotional video that I was making for Uni.

You can see my golf course animation in this video aswell, its near the end :)

www.axnt88.dsl.pipex.com/Ross%20Website/UryVideo.html

Thelby posted Thu, 27 November 2008 at 10:38 AM

Homer, are you from Geekatplay???

Homer. posted Thu, 27 November 2008 at 2:39 PM

Yup, thats where I'm from haha.

I only noticed this post after seeing it at the start of Gary Millers tutorial. If only he had made those tutorials ages ago haha, would have made my life easier.

mcw1917 posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 3:36 PM

Hello all.  I sent in a golf course sometime before Christmas, but deleted it when I was asked where to find a larger image of it....  I'm really new at Renderosity Forums, and would like very much to have my work reviewed by you experts!  But I have no site of my own, and don't know where to post a larger image. (I thought there was a limit on size for the forums....?)
Anyway, I know it's no longer November....  so I'll wish everyone a wondereful, happy and creative New Year!
If you'd let me know where/how to send the larger image, I'm open for comments. If it's too late, ... oh well.  Thanks so much!
mcw1917

Thelby posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 10:15 PM

You can always post your work here at Renderosity in the Vue Gallery or the Appropriate Gallery for the work. Then you create a smaller image for the forum 200kb max and link it to the larger Gallery image.

Welcome Aboard. I look forward to seeing your work!!!

mcw1917 posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 2:40 PM

I'll try again..... Here it is.

Peggy_Walters posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 5:54 PM

That's a tough looking tee shot!  For me, it would be a par 150.  Maybe more! 

Great looking picture though - the grass and bunker in the backgraound look very real.  Good design on the course. 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

mcw1917 posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for looking, Peggy.  And thanks to you and Thelby for helping me with posting routines!
Cheers, Peg (mcw1917)