Forum: Vue

Subject: vue cant VOB file in vista

bigdave1960 opened this issue on Nov 05, 2008 · 19 posts

bigdave1960 posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 6:46 PM

ihave some vob files that will not open in vue 6 infinite in vista but will open fine in vue 6 infinite in windows xp does any one know why this is?.The erroer message says that unable to read the file when i try to open it in vue on my vista pc

Rutra posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 6:51 PM

Are both Vue's the same version and build? VOBs created in later Vue versions can normally not be read by earlier versions.

Rutra posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 6:52 PM

Well, I'm not sure if it's "normally" but that has happen to me, at least.

FrankT posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 6:53 PM

make sure you are running Vue as administrator

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

bigdave1960 posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 7:18 PM

its eaxactly the same on both pcs and vue is being run as an administrator

Rutra posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 7:41 PM

Have you tried deleting all *.prv files in the folder where that vob is?

Rutra posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 7:42 PM

Or, alternatively, have you tried copying all *.prv files from the folder where XP can read into the folder where Vista can't?

bigdave1960 posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 7:56 PM

just tried both of those idears still no luck

Peggy_Walters posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 8:24 PM

Could be the materials in the vob?  Is the vob saved with materials embedded?  Does the Vista machine have the file extensions showing.  I think I remember something about it could not find a file because it didn't see the file extension.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

bigdave1960 posted Wed, 05 November 2008 at 8:34 PM

I dont know about the materiala in the vob it they were a free download , but vista does show the file extension

Rutra posted Thu, 06 November 2008 at 5:00 AM

If it's a free download, maybe you can tell me what it is and I'll test myself. I also have a XP and a Vista and so I can duplicate your situation, more or less, and tell you the result. If it turns out I can read it well, you might want to send a ticket to e-on. I'm not home right now but I'll be able to test it later today.

bigdave1960 posted Thu, 06 November 2008 at 5:18 AM

its a dog rose i downloaded some while ago but only recently tried it in vista cant remember which site i got it from. I seem to spend a lot of time looking through the free stuff on different sites and grabing stuff here and there and some time s not using them for ages

Rutra posted Thu, 06 November 2008 at 8:17 AM

I do the same. :-) I think I never used 90% of the free stuff I downloaded.
If you like, maybe you can send it to me. If it's free, most likely we're not violating any rights by doing this. My email address is artur.rosa@gmail.com

bigdave1960 posted Thu, 06 November 2008 at 8:49 AM

ok imtrying to send it to you now there are three files i think im limited to 10MB files to send so i can only send you 2 of them because 1 is 19 MB  my email is bigdave1960@hotmail.co.uk

bigdave1960 posted Thu, 06 November 2008 at 9:08 AM

ok you should have got them now good luck

Rutra posted Thu, 06 November 2008 at 6:57 PM

Both VOBs open fine in V6I in Vista, as you can see. So, the models seem good. Maybe it's time to send e-on a ticket.

bigdave1960 posted Fri, 07 November 2008 at 2:36 PM

ok thanks for giving them a try just a thought do you have SP1 on your vista or not ?, just in case tha t cause any issues

Rutra posted Fri, 07 November 2008 at 3:45 PM

Yes, I have SP1 and all the latest hotfixes.
Maybe a bit farfetched but did you try temporarily disabling your antivirus and antispyware? In that regard, my system is really simple because I don't normally have Vista connected to Internet so all that security stuff is reduced to an absolute minimum in my case. I don't have firewall, UAC, etc.

bigdave1960 posted Fri, 07 November 2008 at 5:47 PM

yes all turned off by default because that pc is not often connected to internet i only turn them on if i connect UAC is turned off as well