Forum: Vue

Subject: Seeking advice from Mac users

Realm_Of_Illusion opened this issue on Nov 09, 2008 · 17 posts

Realm_Of_Illusion posted Sun, 09 November 2008 at 1:12 PM

I have a very limited understanding about the technical abilities of Macs so I thought I'd come and ask for your advice...

I currently work on a MacBookPro Mac OS 10.4, 2.33 GHz and it works quite well for me but I would like to get a new Mac so that I can do bigger renders for printing as I am starting to sell my work. This would be an investment so I want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

I am hesitating between an iMac and a Mac Pro just because one is a lot cheaper than the other! Well I do know that they are very different of course, one being a lot more complex and pro (ha!). So I am wondering how well Vue (and I am thinking of upgrading to Vue 7 complete, I am now Vue 6 pro) runs on an iMac. The Apple store tells me that it would definitely serve my needs but they don't know Vue so I thought the best place to ask was here.

My renders are not very complex but still would it be better for me to save more and get a Mac Pro? What I don't have a clear picture at all of is the difference in power between the 2. If I get an iMac I can get the top of the line but is it good enough to do a good job with Vue? Does it have enough of what 3D needs, that's where my hesitation is. I am stuck with the idea that iMac is not powerful enough but that comes from not understanding what it can do...

I intent to grow but I grow very slowly, Mac Pro is a little intimidating and there are lots of things I probably will not be taking advantage of for quite a while but still would it be a better choice?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to shade some light on this, I really appreciate it,
Gwenolye