Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hair

David.J.Harmon opened this issue on Jan 12, 2009 · 16 posts

David.J.Harmon posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 12:50 PM

how do you model hair, how do you make it?

thanks

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

pakled posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 1:52 PM

depends on how far you want to go. There are some simple tutorials for making solid models (there's one for Wings 3d, or others), to dynamic hair (way above me. The next posts will have
some better examples)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

David.J.Harmon posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 2:44 PM

well what about using the Hair Room to do V4 or M4 hair?

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

Winterclaw posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 3:40 PM

You'll need a skull cap that fits V4/M4 to do that so you can save it for later use.

If you want to make something more than using the hair room, just experiment with different techniques and study the type of hair you'd like to recreate and try to find several ways of doing that.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

shuy posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 4:19 PM

Quote - well what about using the Hair Room to do V4 or M4 hair?

Few days ago I've seen thread about problems with hair room.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2760324
M4 and V4 in hair room require very powerfull graphic card and hundred core processor.

With old harware you can easy make short hairs for them and calculate dynamics if you do not check do collision. Short afro hairs for example looks ok and can be dynamic animated unless they touch arms or forehead.

PhilC posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 4:53 PM

If you are modeling hair you'll probably want to use a series of one sided planes. Lay down the overall shape then subdivide. You'll need to watch the UV mapping because your final model will be much easier to texture if the hair is all in one straight line.

Best approach is really to just practice.

David.J.Harmon posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 7:07 PM

thanks Philc,
so in Hexagon or model builder I put the shape then use mat room to give it the shape. hum does sound like work and lots of practice. OK

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

RAMWorks posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 2:21 PM

I need to join in here.  I have some pertinent questions about hair and this is a new thread so here goes....

I got Anton's Starlight Updo for Victoria 2.  I've refitted it to V4 and A4 and added morphs, that all worked out very well.  I'm waiting for Will Dupree to get back to me on RTEncoding it for distribution and I will as soon as I have that info. 

In the mean time I brought the obj into Silo 2.1 and subdivided it, since it's an older prop it's really not all that smooth so this helped quite a bit.  I then took that into UVMapper and redid some of the UV's and then exported that as Starlight-A4V4_HiRez.obj along with a new exported Template for those folks that want to make new textures for it. 

So the next logical step was to get my hr2 to work with it.  No go.... It's a new mesh and even pointing to the new obj file offered no results when spinning the dials.  So I brough up Morphing Clothes and attempted to rewrite back in the morphs I had added before.  No go still so now I'm stuck. 

I really want to add in the morphs but keep the hi rez obj as the base file since it's looking really nice now.  

Can someone please instruct me on how to create an hr2 file and add in the morphs I need??  I really love Morphing Clothes, it's painless and the results are really nice so I'd like to use that tool.  I don't have a day and half to sit down and recreate all these morphs from scratch... not going to happen!!  

Thanks for the help!! 

Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

svdl posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 7:50 PM

The way I'd do it:

morph the original Updo;
export the morph as .OBJ;
subdivide in Silo;
export from Silo;
load the subdivided base mesh as a prop;
load Silo-exported morph target onto the prop;
rinse & repeat

and finally parent the prop to a head and save it as .hr2.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

RAMWorks posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 10:41 AM

Thanks so so much.  Nice, simple and sane tutorial!!  😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

nyguy posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 12:08 PM

I have started trying to model hair and have found this Tutorial very helpful.  And another good site with tutorials is Comet Cartoons.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

pitklad posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 12:15 PM

nyguy thanks for the tutorial links!

My FreeStuff

nyguy posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 12:31 PM

No problem, I just started my hand at modeling hair. So I have searched for good links.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

RAMWorks posted Tue, 10 February 2009 at 12:33 PM

WOW, that first one is really cool.  Thanks so much nyguy!!  😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

DigitalDreamsDS posted Mon, 09 March 2009 at 10:08 AM

Attached Link: Valea hair tutorial

Here is one by Valea. It is for Hexagon. This is the easiest ones I have found for that program.

ice-boy posted Tue, 10 March 2009 at 4:08 AM

i say model the hair.
download the free Blender. and then this
http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

very importent is that dont use to many polygons. you dont need details. you just need a good model and a good texture.