Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hi Resolution Rendering Info

myrmadon opened this issue on Feb 11, 2009 · 10 posts

myrmadon posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 3:04 PM

I've had some questions on rendering problems associated with Hi Resolution.  I was getting hang ups when rendering large hi res images.  I had to restart the program.   This info may help.  

My Question to efrontier:

I want to do large prints and need to know how to get the maximum resolution. What seting should be used in the "render to exact resolution". What would be the max height/width/pix-inch. I want to do 13X19 prints. Since I use photoshop to fine tune the images the actual size doesn't matter. I just want the higest resolution possible.
I'm aware that content may be lower res, but I just want the higest res from firefly render possible.  (Note: I was having crashes and thought I was exceeding the max render resolution  It was the OS memory problems.)

Also I would appreciate assistance in resolving your memory release/allocation problems. After a few large renders the system memory is used and no further renders can be made until the program is shut down and restarted. How can I get the memory to release? Is there any settings that would help with this? Does Poser Pro have the same memory allocation problems? It really is shame to have to close a program and restart in the middle of a project. I need a tool that works.

Their Answer: 

Thank you for contacting Support. When Printing out Renders, you will want to change to 300DPI at least in the Render Dimensions. It is ususally best to Render to a Size that does not need to be enlarged, so for 13 x 19 you would want 3900 x 5700 Pixels at 300 DPI. You can try smaller and enlarging, but most Formats do not like to be enlarged. (Shrinking down is fine) I also would export TIFF or BMP over JPG. (PNG also works well, but I personally prefer TIFF)

With regards to the Memory Issue. This is your OS Memory Allocation, and has nothing to do with Poser specifically. Poser only requests the Memory from the OS. On XP Pro, Poser starts out with 2GB Allocated (as do all Large Address Aware Programs on XP Pro). Each time Poser requests a chunk of Memory, it is taken from the Allocated Memory. Poser releases the Chunks as it is done, but they are now in Chunks in the Allocation Address for that Session of Poser.

Example: If Poser requests 1GB, then 1MB, then 900MB again and the OS just takes them right next to each other from the available memory and then poser returns the 1GB and 900 MB chunks and keeps the 1MB then the OS has 1GB with a gap for the 1MB chunk and the the 900MB Chunk and should Poser then ask for 1.01 GB the OS can't fulfill that request because it doesn't have a piece that's big enough.

Restarting resets the Address for the Memory allocated to the Program back to a new 2GB Allocation so now when you restart the application don't do anything that allocates that tiny 1MB chunk but ask for the 1.01GB right away the OS will give that to the Poser.

If you have a 64 Bt OS, that amount increases from 2GB to 4GB.

I guess the answer is to go with 64 bit OS and save the project so you can restart.
Sincerely
myrmadon