Forum: Bryce

Subject: Price conundrum, any advice much appreciated.

orbital opened this issue on Feb 16, 2009 · 18 posts

orbital posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 12:10 PM

I recieved an e-mail this morning from the Australian council for educational research. Here is an extract

Dear Mr. Vinton,

The Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) seeks permission to reproduce the following material, and also seeks a high resolution copy:

Source Details*:        * http://www.futurerealms.net/Mars2.html

Illustration:   MARS 3009

Illustrator:    Joe Vinton

ACER is a not-for-profit organisation primarily engaged in research, development and dissemination of knowledge and tools in education, and the provision of support to state education authorities, to improve learning. ACER has developed an examination for two Australian State Education authorities, the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) and the Australian Capital Territory Board of Studies.  All Year 12 students in Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory will sit this examination during June 2009.  This is a compulsory component of the Year 12 assessment process and the moderation procedures used by the VCAA and the ACT Board of Studies.

There will be an initial trial of approximately 150 copies, and then material will be used either in Victoria at 70,000 copies, or the Australian Capital Territory at 3500. To this end, we were hoping that if a fee is required you could provide quotes for the following:

1. Victoria:    70,150 copies and a PDF version accessible to registered users of the VCAA website

2. Victoria:   70,150, without the electronic use

3. ACT:         3,650 copies, print only

I hate trying to come up with a price for these things, because I sold my self short by a country mile the last big gig I had. Anychance anybody would have any ideas at to how far I could push this. I was thinking around £500-£1000 for it, but I don't want to sell myself short again, or price myself out of the game.

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

orbital posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 12:12 PM

Oh and heres a link to their site.
www.acer.edu.au

tom271 posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 12:42 PM

Is not there a society or union of artist who might know the cost or purchase price of art for businesses and commercial use..? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TheBryster posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 3:00 PM Forum Moderator

WTG Orbital!!!  You hit the big time. Put this baby on your CV.
Ask them what they can afford. You might be very surprised and if you accept their offer, you might get more work.
Make sure you price it in Aus $s.or whatever gets you the best exchange rate.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

dhama posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 3:05 PM

I would say it's worth what you think it is worth to you. Simply say what you believe it's worth.

If you only want to make money, then you would accept a compromise and haggle a little, but if you are in it for arts sake, then ask what they would be prepared to offer.

I suspect no one but yourself can really come to that decision.

bobbystahr posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 3:55 PM

I'm with Bryster on this as an entry level thing the more good will you generate by allowing 'what you can afford' type of thing will surely get more business and possible recommendations to others...congrats on the foot in the door, and as an afterthought I might use their offer as a starting point if it's way too low and then just haggle a wee bit...a sticky quandry I'd love to have...LOL.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Quest posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 5:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.artbusiness.com/pricerealistic.html

And this link:[www.artbusiness.com/pricetipscont.html](http://www.artbusiness.com/pricetipscont.html)

Yes, as Bryster says. You don’t want to price yourself out of a sale on your art work. Write them back asking them to make you a reasonable offer. You can then take it from there. It seems from your post the work is earmarked for publication. Ask them also if the piece is to be used only once or are they thinking of reusing the piece in future publications. This is a non-profit organization otherwise you might consider royalties.

Most contemporary art pricing is based on hourly rate X actual hours worked on the piece + overhead expenses ie. high resolution copy (Base Price). As the artist establishes himself/herself the rate goes higher. In any case you need to be able to justify the cost. Of course if the artist is already published or have had gallery showings then it adds to their reputation as an artist and thus a higher rate. If the artist is just beginning it becomes difficult to set a base price for their work. Remember, this is for publication and distribution not a one on one sale to a collector. You are not selling the work because there is a sentimental value attached to it. If that were the case then the piece shouldn’t be in the market and therefore not sold at all. Read the attached links.

P.S. Try to maintain copyright ownership of the piece. You never know who else would like to use the piece in the future.

Quest posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 5:59 PM

Attached Link: http://www.vsarts.org/x652.xml

Another link that might be helpful.

skiwillgee posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 9:54 PM

Hooray for Joe.  I guess the next two rounds of beer are on you. 

I agree with allowing them make a bid.  You could respond "because it is non-profit organization, I will forego my usual fees quote and allow you to offer what you feel is fair and affordable to you... blah blah blah"   I totally agree with nuturing any future business relations.

orbital posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 2:27 AM

Thanks guys, some interesting issues raised giving food for thought. I've placed the ball in their court by asking what they usually budget for this type of thing. Quest thanks for those links, especially the last one as I think everyone should give that a look. I give you guys a heads up when I hear back.

TheBryster posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 7:41 AM Forum Moderator

That tip about asking what they can afford goes way back to some friends of mine, a husband and wife team, who had their own C&W band, . Their local radio station wanted them to come into the studio to do a live interview about Country music and they were asked how much they wanted. They said "How much can you afford?" and got the gig, along with many others thereafter.

Congrats, Orbital. I hope it goes well for you.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Quest posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 9:13 AM

It's also the way I landed my CD labels contracts. But because it's a for profit business I instituted a a drop on the initial price with conditions and a moderate royalties clause into the contract. As a result I get quarterly reports on product sales and maintain copyright ownership. Best of luck to you Orbital!

orbital posted Wed, 18 February 2009 at 4:40 AM

Well guys, the offer came back and it was $150 Australian dolllars. If i convert that into pounds and divide by the hours spent doing the work I'd be working for about 2 quid an hour. So I didn't go through with it for obvious reasons. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Quest posted Wed, 18 February 2009 at 11:45 AM

Sorry to hear that Orbital. They pulled the old “…we’re a nonprofit organization” quilt trip routine didn’t they? Did you counter offer or did you turn them down flat? I would have haggled a little to see if they budge on their offer. I'm not good at currency exchange but isn't 1 quid = 1 pound sterling = to about $1.50 USD? I would have countered with the unfairness of their offer as compared to the amount of work on the project and demanded at least "Quid Pro Quo" to break even!  It's a great piece Orbital.

If you were feeling charitable and didn't have any exposure I can see you taking a hit just to get your art out there and start some track record of your work but only if you're okay with taking the hit. This being the case then I would include in the negotiation to get several copies of the publication, perhaps one in each format and a signed deal for your records. Otherwise, hasta la vista baby!

orbital posted Wed, 18 February 2009 at 12:20 PM

No I just turned them down. They won't have got my answer yet because of the time difference, so who knows maybe they will offer more. The biggest gig I had was for a non profit organisation, but the image was used differently.  The deal I got with them was a hell of a lot more, including flights to the US. I since found out that I could have asked for 10 x more and they wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
I think thats the problem now with the internet, suddenly all these talented people have a plce to show their work, only for others to try an exploit the talent on the cheap.

TheBryster posted Wed, 18 February 2009 at 2:14 PM Forum Moderator

That sucks! I'm very surprised considering the milage they said they were hoping to get out of your work.

skiwillgee posted Wed, 18 February 2009 at 8:08 PM

That does suck.  I'll buy you a beer.

orbital posted Thu, 19 February 2009 at 3:07 AM

Oh well, I just thought that maybe this offer looked more realistic. In the end it wasn't to be. Anyway I've got my exhibition happening so thats far more exciting personally.