Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Creating shadows.

thekingtut opened this issue on Feb 24, 2009 · 5 posts

thekingtut posted Tue, 24 February 2009 at 7:52 PM

I'm new to DS, and am wondering, how do I create shadows? It doesn't matter how good an image I produce, if it has no shadow, it just looks wrong.

mishamcm posted Tue, 24 February 2009 at 7:59 PM

To have shadows in D|S you need 3 things:
--a light source that has shadows turned on
--an object that casts shadows
--a surface to receive the shadow

Light sources are often set to "no shadow" by default to reduce render times, so you should make sure you have at least one light with shadows enabled.

Most objects (unless they aren't opaque) cast shadows by default, but they can be turned off.

Most objects receive shadows by default, but backgrounds do not.

If you have all 3 of these and still aren't getting shadows, make sure the light source is pointed the right way and not blocked by another object, and that you are using either software (3delight) rendering or a hardware (OpenGL) rendering that has shadows (if the latter, your grapjhics card must support OpenGL shadows).

thekingtut posted Tue, 24 February 2009 at 8:27 PM

Thanks, you're a great help.

darman42 posted Thu, 26 February 2009 at 10:57 PM

also, setting the lights to "deep shadow map" or "raytracing" will make better shadows.

warning!!!
using these settings WILL tax your computer and slow down render times. if you can accept that, though, the payoff is often worth it.

thekingtut posted Fri, 27 February 2009 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, I found those settings when I when into the parameters for the lighting. Thanks for the help though.