Forum: Carrara

Subject: Attaching a Polygon

ThrommArcadia opened this issue on Mar 21, 2009 · 22 posts

ThrommArcadia posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 1:24 AM

This is really driving me insane.  I swear, it's like playing the piano with mittens on!

Okay, so I have this mesh.  I had a hole that wouldn't bridge, or fill or close using any automated tools, so I drew the proper shaped polygon.

Great, so I have a polygon the right shape in the right place, but how do I get it to attach to the mesh?

I'm in vertex editing.

It's really driving me bonkers, I can't find it in the manual or in an tuts.  Maybe if I knew what I even would call this made up tool.

ThrommArcadia posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 1:25 AM

Here I've moved the polygon so you can see what I'm talking about.  I just want it atached so I can push, pull reshape and all that... eergh!

geep posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 5:24 AM

Hi TA,

Ok, let's take the mittens off and ... 😄

Try this ...

1. Put the polygon in place
  2. Use wireframe display
  3. Draw marquee around (only) 2 vertices in one corner
  4. [menu] "Model" >>> "Weld"
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for other 3 corners

Yes? ... :blink:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

GKDantas posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 6:52 AM

You give me a great idea for a new video tutorial:

http://carraralounge.com/index.php?topic=271.msg767#new

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

geep posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 7:06 AM

Nicely done GK. 👍

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

P.S. The method I suggested was chosen because:
If a complex object has many polygons and some of it's vertices are very close together, using the "Weld" command without specifying only the vertices to be welded can cause some unwanted vertices to get welded, also.

Using the Marquee method insures that only the desired vertices get welded.

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

GKDantas posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 7:18 AM

Yes, I forgot the hand model, doing point by point (I use a lot when welding characters).

Tashar59 posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 3:43 PM

Wouldn't welding still leave 8 edges? In hex or modo you would join the 2 verts on each corner and that would create one edge on each side.

Also, Hex you should be able to select the 4 edges and fill it in and modo you would select the 4 verts and hit the P key.

I thought Daz had added some of hex into Carrara. Sorry if I have it wrong as I can't stand Carrara's modeling and use anything else.

GKDantas posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 3:46 PM

Some tools was added in version 6. In 7 only UVmap was changed for something like Hex. But how you can see in the video theres a lot of ways to fill the hole.

ThrommArcadia posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 8:00 PM

Dr Geep!  Fancy meeting you in a place like this.  I thought you only were hanging out in the Poser realm for some reason. lol.

Thanks for the suggestion Dr. and thanks for the tutorial there GKDantas!

I have now solved my problem thanks to your help.  I had simplified my problem a bit when I posted here, but let me elaborate.  I actually had two neighbouring polygons that were misbehaving the one highlighted above and the one directly below.

I had tried the fill polygon first, but since the area that was being worked on was pretty complex (I'm guessing)  it wouldn't fill.

So I drew in the ploygons by using the polyline tool and then filling it on close (I missed the polygon tool entirely!)

The result was two polygons that then refused to weld into place.

After viewing the tut, I decided to go and delete the two polys I had made and use the polygon tool instead.  I also chnged the area to three polygons sue tot he way the one was being forced to warp.

Anyway, after doing it that way, I found when I moved the area that there were two lone vertices hanging out, not attached to anything and just hiden behind the mesh's vertex points.  I think these guys were what was causing some of my problems.  They must have been remenants from when I was using the add tool to create new lines int he mesh.

Anyway, all is good now!  Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

ThrommArcadia posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 8:19 PM

Ah crap, while I'm here... Do Boolean operations not work for complex objects? 

I'm just trying to subtract a cube from a portion of my model and the whole damn thing disappears!  (I've tried the reverse operation.. you know just incase and I get a little sliver of the cube as the only thing left... in other words, it will subtract my mesh fromt he cube, but not the cube from my mesh... bargh!  I really don't want to pull out Hex... it's so buggy... plus I'm trying to learn Carrara here!)

GKDantas posted Sat, 21 March 2009 at 9:48 PM

Can you show a printscreen?

ThrommArcadia posted Sun, 22 March 2009 at 2:22 AM

Okay.

In this first shot you see the mesh I am working with and the cube that I have.

Underneath the front area I have shaped the mesh in to create an area where i will later build the bridge of the ship.

I want to move the cube into the pushed in area and create a further deepened area that will be a hallway in the "neck" of the ship.

ThrommArcadia posted Sun, 22 March 2009 at 2:23 AM

Here you can see the cube moved into the area from which I want to subtract it.

ThrommArcadia posted Sun, 22 March 2009 at 2:25 AM

Here is the selection I have made.  Volume two is the space ship, Volume one will be the cube.

ThrommArcadia posted Sun, 22 March 2009 at 2:25 AM

And the result.

Nothing!  Both objects are gone!

ThrommArcadia posted Sun, 22 March 2009 at 2:30 AM

Just for kicks, here is what the result is when I reverse the objects.  In other words, when I use the cube as volume two and the ship as volume one.

Oh, and to clarify, the hollowed out portion in the ship's mesh is not from deleted polygons, it is pushed and shaped in so that I have a full mesh, with thickness to the walls and such.

GKDantas posted Sun, 22 March 2009 at 8:25 AM

Well, first: boolean is a fool tool, will always give you problm with the mesh.
Looks more simple if you use extrusion in the polygon to open this "hole":

http://carraralounge.com/index.php?topic=273.0

ThrommArcadia posted Sun, 22 March 2009 at 2:51 PM

Ah...

I went in and started working closer, trying to clean things up, and I found that the large poly at the back had 6 vertices.  Two were hiden behind two others... I wonder if that had anything to do with it not working.

Oh well, I have gone a completely different route... but silly me not to have thought of extrusion.  Thanks!

pauljs75 posted Mon, 23 March 2009 at 4:17 AM

I know some purists may hate me for saying this, but if you find the modeling room to be a bodge job in some aspects - Carrara does a completely fine job of importing. There are a number of modeling apps that are very good, and some of them also happen to be free. I recommend the ubiquitous .obj format for exporting from elsewhere and importing to Carrara. Then you use the Carrara modeler for morphs/UV/shading domains and other touch-ups. (Import to vertex mode, or convert later if you plan on tweaking from within Carrara.) Finding the right complementary software actually can make Carrara a more powerful tool and save time, so don't be afraid to look outside the box.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

CaptainJack1 posted Mon, 23 March 2009 at 12:16 PM

I'd have to second that... I still do most of my modeling in Wings, although I'm trying to learn to do more in Carrara. Thing is, having multiple tool sets can make your modeling life simpler, as long as you can live with the exporting and importing.

I did a spline loft the other day (vey easy to do in Carrara, impossible in Wings), then exported to OBJ, imported into Wings, did some things there that Carrara may be able to do but that I haven't figured out yet, then moved it all back to Carrara for texturing.

I think this falls into the "whatever gets the job done is good" category. 😄

ThrommArcadia posted Mon, 23 March 2009 at 1:24 PM

Oh, l agree.  I have Hexagon, Truespace, Bryce and a number of the great free programs.

I'm just trying to learn Carrara... finally... I think it is the most expensive program I own.  I bought version 5 way back when it was on sale when Daz first got it.  Then I decided to upgrade to Pro... then Version 6 and now Version 7.  I have paid every step of the way and not always when it was on sale.

I have finally decided that I have to make this investment worth something to me and learn this damn program! lol.

After I model something, I might move onto learning about particles... I'm really going to have to get all of Mark's Tutorials soon.

Now, if only work wouldn't get in the way! lol.

CaptainJack1 posted Mon, 23 March 2009 at 1:41 PM

Getting the VTC subscription has been great for me... not only does it give access to all the great tutorials that Mark Bremmer has made, there are tutorials for six other applications I've got. I've found it to be well worth the money.