Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: rigging for models

theschell opened this issue on Apr 13, 2009 · 18 posts

theschell posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 11:09 AM

Hello everyone!

i'm doing my own models but can't do rigging, and have downloaded some nice free-usage no restrictions aircraft models that were origionally done for 3DS Max and other software that i've converted to obj's. I've done repaints for them and redetailed a couple to fix them up but don't have the skill or ability to rig them so the flaps etc can be moveable and poseable in daz/poser.... i'm wondering if anyone out here is willing to rig them for me and make them workeable so that i can begin using them in my art. I may eventually see about posting the new planes for download once i've contacted people to make sure that the usage rights weren't in error and will happily give credit to whom ever is willing to do the rigging for these aircraft.

please drop me a line and let me know if any one is willing.... ty all :)

SAMS3D posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 11:20 AM

Do you have UV mapper?  You can assign groups to your model there instead of rigging it in Poser, assign materials also.  That way when you need to adjust in Poser so the flaps move, your object is a poseable model set up correctly...so do you have UV mapper?

Sharen

PS: it is easy by the way to do this. 

Conniekat8 posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 7:48 PM

Riggers are usually pretty tough to find.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Miss Nancy posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 8:06 PM

if it's just a poseable prop (not a cr2 file) then, in addition to the above, one of 'em can use group editor (poser 4 or later) to spawn flaps and doors and such.  I daresay geep has got a tutorial on that.

geep posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 8:37 PM

Attached Link: "Make A Poseable 4 Drawer File Cabinet" using only Poser

*(click image to view full size) (click link above image to view tutorial)*

Please see Page 36 in the tutorial. 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

markschum posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 8:39 PM

If you can group the parts you can use phibuilder to generate a figure. Rigging machinery is fairly easy since there are no bend zones to deal with.

You can also load the pieces into poser as seperate objects , set the hierarchy in hierarchy editor and create a figure from that . Thenn you just need to set the rotatiojn centers for each part, set the dial names and limits , hide the dials that should not be used and that sort of thing. 

Poser 7 has a tutorials folder that has some rigging information.

geep posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 8:52 PM

Attached Link: "How To Make Poseable Props" tutorial

*(click image to view full size) (click link above image to view the tutorial)*

Perhaps this tut is better suited for what is needed. 😄

There are 2 methods that can be used:

1. Make a compound prop.
  2. Make a poseable figure.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

FranOnTheEdge posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 4:49 PM

Dr Geep, that looks interesting.

Can that be used to open a rear capsule of a space craft, that has... heck, it's hard to describe, so here: see pic
(The red dotted lines show where the doors came from, they are operated by pistons.)

Could your tut enable me to do that?

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

geep posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 4:58 PM

Yes ... if you make it as a figure with 4 arms and the links have separate bones.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

FranOnTheEdge posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 2:33 AM

Right, I see.

Now I haven't finished this model yet.  I have yet to make the 4 landing feet - these will look like mechanical Bird's feet.... I hope.

If I want to rig those as well, would I rig them as one full figure with the door opening arms and the landing feet? Or would I do each part separately?

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

geep posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 7:13 AM

One full figure.
But that's just MVHO ... I could be wrong. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

FranOnTheEdge posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 1:43 PM

Okay ta.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

theschell posted Mon, 20 April 2009 at 8:57 PM

Thanx everyone... one prob.. i don't have poser... hence looking for someone that could rig for me...lol.. i have only daz and hexagon from daz3d... so alot of what i'd like to be able to learn to do isn't available for me to even attempt... but i do thank you all for your suggestions etc... :)

darman42 posted Mon, 20 April 2009 at 9:26 PM

if anyone is interested, i also request someone to help me with rigging an obj file.

i dont have Poser either : l

nickedshield posted Tue, 21 April 2009 at 3:08 PM

Quote - Thanx everyone... one prob.. i don't have poser... hence looking for someone that could rig for me...lol.. i have only daz and hexagon from daz3d... so alot of what i'd like to be able to learn to do isn't available for me to even attempt... but i do thank you all for your suggestions etc... :)

You might check over at daz. I thought I read that DS now has a rigging plugin.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

theschell posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 6:23 PM

Thanx everyone... i have a trial version of the daz figure setup script.. and have been playing around with it... here are a couple of pics of the model i created with it... it took 20 tries to get the rigging anywhere near what i thought worked and is probably horrendous compared to a pro's work... but ah well...

I modelled a powered suit inspired by the works of master anime artist Masamune Shirow it's a Guges/landmate style powered armour (Guges and Landmate are property Mr Shirow... my work is inspired by his and a tribute to his works)... i've rigged joints and can even open the hatches... i also created a few add-ons for it to be able to add cockpit details etc...

theschell posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 6:24 PM

here's another pic of it in progress... i hadn't added the arms yet and it's only got a basic texture... no details

theschell posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 6:25 PM

and lastly a pic with the hatches open