Forum: Vue

Subject: How can I create screes?

WillJ opened this issue on Apr 28, 2009 ยท 16 posts

WillJ posted Tue, 28 April 2009 at 8:41 AM

Hi folks,

Pretty new to vue having come from a Maya background. I'm doing a job for a museum and I though it would be a good oppertunity to try out vue as a new software addition. I must say I'm very impressed, and I think I'll come to rely on vue quite heavily in future.

For this piece I'm trying to create a late Triassic scene of a desert playa with a drying lake in the middle and grey limestone hills in the background. The piece is part of a graphical illustraction of how dino footprints become fossilized. I've made my dino's in maya and they're rigged and ready to go. What I'd like to do is place them in the scene and have them making footprints in the mud at the edge of the lake. It doesn't have to be animated as it's just a big display. i'd also like to have some sparse vegetation around the lake only, can I paint it on?

Firstly, how can I go about making realistic rocky screes down the side of the limestone hills? This is pretty important to the look. Secondly, what would be the best way to blend between the mud surrounding the lake and the cracked clay of the playa around it? Thirdly, how can I place the footprints in the mud convincingly, or indeed at all? This would really help me out, I'm glad I found this forum it looks great :). Any pointers would be much appreciated :).

Will.