Forum: Carrara

Subject: Problem setting constraints...

MatCreator opened this issue on Apr 30, 2009 · 16 posts

MatCreator posted Thu, 30 April 2009 at 4:46 PM

If the 5 month wait for this new product doesnt kill me, all the drama to make it ready for Carrara sure will do the trick =P

Actually, its coming along quite nice, just a snag here and there, but thats expected for something this serious...

ANYWAYS, Im having trouble (yes again =D) applying constraints.

The piece in question this time is a simple window... Im setting constraints so that the motion is restricted to just the window frame, users could slide the windows open or closed or push the latch to the side. The latch was easy, the windows are (pardon the expression) a real pane =)

The upper and lower parts just need a simple slider constraint, its NOT that I dont know how to apply them, but the behavior on them is totally NOT what it should be...

First off, Carrara isnt letting me apply numeric values for the Z posion (the others are locked), and even further trying to reposition them it "feels" as if I have collision detection on, (and its NOT), but Carrara is giving trouble moving the pieces freely or not moving "fluidly" w/ the constrainst on, if it decides to move at all... Ive set many constraints before, I cant understand why this would happen, something really easy just NOT following through w/ whats expected...

Either pieces wont move at all, or will move way too much. If I want to move the Z axis, even set to free, it wont move, but will move in the Y axis even though it is locked. Moving left to right moves it up and down, and all sorts of quirkiness going on... But its ONLY this piece and ONLY when I set constraints on it...

Not to mention we cant input numbers into sliders, thats a REAL problem in itself (I know we can nudge the sliders in increments of 1 or by holding shift 10, but thats not going to help move things in smaller increments)...

At this point I know a screencap wont help much, I have the file ready for download if someone wouldnt mind explaining wth is going on...

If I wasnt bald Id pull out my hair, but ill try some oolong tea instead =)

Any help would really be appreciated...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..