Forum: Community Center

Subject: Product Testing?

ThetaLov opened this issue on May 26, 2009 · 3 posts

ThetaLov posted Tue, 26 May 2009 at 7:21 PM

I've seen a few threads here and there from vendors asking for product testers, and even occasionally in the gallery.  However it's usually either 1.) Poser-only [I only have DAZ]; or 2.) experienced testers only.

My question is fairly general as I'd like to understand:  What are the requirements for someone to be a product tester?  Is there certain criteria one must meet?  What aspects of a product are tested?  Err.. anything else I should know?

Sure, it'd be cool to test new up-and-coming products... but I also ask because I eventually want to sell content, and I want to make sure I get good quality-control.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment ;)

Survive Entertainment

markschum posted Tue, 26 May 2009 at 10:41 PM

k, I will give my opinion and others can add-on.

1.know how to install product to a runtime

1. know how to load product into a scene like conforming clothes.
  2. They should know enough to find bad installs if files are missing during load.
  3. Be able to see all flaws , and describe them well, capture a screen shot showing it, and provide a concise yet detailed report back to the vendor. (something like , the dress shows a bend in the skirt part after conforming , rather than , something funky looking in that.
  4. Its very nice if the tester has the skills to find whats wrong, like a bad joint exclusion zone , bad mat pose files, wrong names in cr2 but thats hoping for a lot.
  5. A clothing item , conforming or prop, should be tested in a set of poses that go to extreme positioning of arms and legs . A set of test poses should be agreed on and used for testing. Failures in extreme poses are expected.
  6. Dynamic cloth should be tested with a few poses to see if the cloth simulation will fail  and when .
  7. Read and follow readme instructions. If the vendor provides instructions they need to be tested and any omissions noted. Dont assume a beginner is going to know what to do.
  8. Render under Poser basic lighting and check for defects .

A fairly novice user can be a tester if they can observe and make notes about problems they see but more experianced users may catch more faults and/or be better able to identify the problem . Of course experianced vendors should have found most of the bugs themselves , but sometimes a fresh eye sees things that have slipped past.

Its extremely useful if  a tester can use both Poser and Daz studio, and maybe carrara or vue  but thats fairly rare .

geoegress posted Tue, 26 May 2009 at 11:10 PM

A beta tester should double check the readme to be sure it EXACTLY complies to RR rules.

Check a zip to be sure ALL files are included.

Be able to open and check poser specific files (pp2, pz3 ect...) if all links are accurate AND that they are in the correct format ( colon vs backslash)

Load the product and check seams under a very bright universal light.

Make sure the readme useage instructions make sence.

and on and on ...

Then write a report back as a list of checks and problems found.

Basicly be able to do everything the merchant did to create and set it up.

I allways figure I'll need 6 testers to get 3 reports back.