Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: BlockHouse interior light problems

lakota opened this issue on Jul 03, 2009 · 66 posts

lakota posted Fri, 03 July 2009 at 2:30 PM

I'm having difficulty lighting this scene of the interior of my Blockhouse. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

First, I can't seem to create a "real" looking flame for the candle on the mantel. Second, the floor shadows do not seem right to me, especially under and around the table. I would think this area would be darker without the far legs of the table being illuminated greater then the forward legs, or the knee of the fat officer, who's knee is under the table and shouldn't be lit at all.  Plus Vickie should have some shadows starting at her foot, I would think. In addition, the stool seems a bit bright.

Could the light of the lantern on the table be passing through the table but its shadows stopping on the table and if so why? Also the pz3 of this scene is over 207 MB, but excluding the "heavy morphs" of the seated Officer plus his pants, coat, and boots there isn't any custom geometry, except all the lights and shadow cam lights which seem to be all made of custom geometry, which I don't think should be in the file at all.

The Blockhouse interior is about 20 foot square with the ceiling at 10 feet. The front and left (right in frame) walls not being used in the scene. The table is in the center of the room with a lantern centered above it and another lantern on the table slightly forward. The left and right lanterns are parallel to each other about 4 feet forward of the center lantern all at the same height. The candle is there to illuminate the picture, which it doesn't seem to be doing well. The left lantern is there to illuminate the deck and flags. And the right lantern is there to add some light to Vickie while still keeping the m3 Soldier in the shadows with all lights.

I would like to get Vickie lit more without drastically effecting the m4 officers except adding a bit more bounce to the standing officer's hat, or adding any more light to the m3 Soldier expect maybe get some highlight going in the bayonet and shako plate and plumb on his hat.

The 5 light sources seen in the image are the only lights illuminating the scene. The fire light is created by a group of "Spot" lights circulating the cinders with a semi transparent cylinder of smoke to dampen their effects on the floor. The lantern lights are each created by 2 Point lights with the inter light set at 100% intensity, 0.0% shadow with a end point of 0.250 feet, and an outer light set at 70% intensity, 0.500% shadow with a start point of 0.300 feet and an end point of 11.250 feet. The each lanterns is turns slightly to make the forward glass perpendicular to the camera to keep the illusion of a flame, if not it just wigs out. The candle light is the same as the lanterns, but with out a "glass" panel in front of the light, I don't get the same effect.