Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Severe preview problem with Poser 8

noxiart opened this issue on Aug 10, 2009 · 6 posts

noxiart posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 11:03 AM

Hi,
I wonder if someone else has the same problem with Poser 8's preview ?

I'm using an ACER Aspire 6530 G laptop with an ATI Radeon 3470 Hybrid X2 crossfire mobility card running Vista Home Premium.
It's about 4 months old and has 4GB of RAM installed so it should be plenty to run Poser 8.
No problems with ZBrush, MAX, DS-3 or Photoshop.

Now, whenever I load a textured figure (Unimesh based), it looks fine in preview, but as soon as I render it once, the preview turns either all white or shows one of the transmaps as soon as I hover with my cursor over the figure.

I do my own posing and custom morphs, so naturally I can't work that way.
ScreeD "fixes" it, but then the preview becomes way too slow and jerky to work with.

If I set the screen to floating and resize/wiggle it slightly, the preview gets stable again....for a few seconds.
Then Poser "drops" the transmaps attached to the cornea or the hair, and those parts go white as if there was no textue attached.
Once the preview is crashed that way, there is no other way to than to start Poser again to bring it back to working properly.

I already gone through my textures with a fine comb, looking for stray nodes or some other problems, but nothing.
Ebven attached the transmaps to the displacement nodes like the new Poser 8 figures have.
SOMETIMES a figure stays "stable" for a awhile but only as long as I don't render to screen.
If I use the area render or render to a new window, it stays stable.

But it's really hit and miss and I can't wok that way.

I played with the ini and looked for other problems,changed transpary settings, but no luck.

And NO, I CAN NOT update my video drivers because mobility card drivers are issued by the laptop manufacturer, not the card manufacturer, and ACER says the one's I have are the latest.
And as I said, other OpenGL previews in other programs work perfectly fine on my machine.

I'm actually not that sure that it is just an OpenGL/driver issue, as Poser 8 also seems to have a problem finding textures in general.
I have several hundred separate small runtimes to keep track of my stuff and usually only install those I actually need, but it seems the new library can't properly search through runtimes that are located on another drive.

Anyway, anyone else have a similar problem with the preview ?
Anyone knows a fix for this ?

I really would get Poser to work as it's improved render engine is pretty fast, but without a proper preview it's useless for me.

Many thanks !