Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Seeking advice on choose the best software to learn.

saghi opened this issue on Aug 13, 2009 · 14 posts

saghi posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 3:23 PM

Hi All,

I have experience with Poser, Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Studio, and many others, I'm a very fast learner, but am stuck trying to decide what combination of software will be most appropriate for my next several projects, I would love to hear advice any of you may have.

I would like to design 3D-models of objects that I want CNC'd.  From the research I've done, I'll need to learn SolidWorks for that.  Looking at the bigger picture, I also want to design much larger 3D structures (i.e. homes, buildings and boats).  I'm not sure SolidWorks is really appropriate for that sort of thing, so I'm thinking ACAD, but from the research I've done on ACAD, I'm not overly excited about it.  It would also be nice to run simulations with my objects, having to do with gravity, buoyancy, the more simulation functionality the better.  And finally, I want the ability to render great quality scenes of these objects (maybe I can import my creations with Maya to render?)

So my goal is to find the most appropriate combination of software for my needs.  Obviously I'd love it if just one application encompassed the entire gamut of what I've outlined, but I think that's an unrealistic expectation and I haven't heard of any such software.  Also, I use a Mac (a very capable Mac Pro 8-core) and would LOVE to use Mac native software, but I do run Fusion and am fine with running XP if I have to, I understand that I probably will.   If SolidWorks, Maya, and ACAD really is the best combination, then so be it, but I thought I'd post to see if anyone thinks there may be a better solution for me.

Thanks,
  -Adam