Forum: Photography

Subject: Studio in the Making

jcpowell opened this issue on Aug 18, 2009 · 3 posts

jcpowell posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 9:28 PM

I've started setting up a small studio in my basement.  I picked up a couple of CHEAP Smith Victor lights at a flea market this weekend along with to 2 umbrellas and 5 Muslin backdrops for $30 bucks total. A few impromptu test pics are below.  I realize some have harsh shadows...again I'm just experimenting.

For this one, I had my flash unit behind the guitar and it was triggered wirelessly to light up the front of the amplifier.

My daughter

CK (my step daughter) Rockin!

Oh and here's a behind the scenes shot...the kids were hammin' it up

Lots to learn and I'm finding my basement has limitations...like a 6 foot celling and stuff will need to be rearranged to use the space more effectively.  I'll see how it goes!

J😄e

WEBSITE - www.jcpowellphotography.com

FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/JCPowellPhotography

babuci posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 11:22 PM

Sofar is a very good bargain Joe and looks like the kids having so much fun.

You can soft a hars shadows by diffuse the lights. Cheapest is the A4 paper or baking paper but I am sure you will find something more suitable.

Try to fiddle a bit, only guessing here but if you make your daughter sit a bit far from a wall/background  might a shadow smoother a bit.

BTW the 1st shot looks great.

seeya  T

TomDart posted Wed, 26 August 2009 at 7:24 AM

Go for it, Joe.   There is not room to turn around in my basement garage area.

Your shot of the kids in the air reminds me of an article about a pro photog who does some shots of  dancers in the air.  These are shot against a green bg(green screen or blue screen) so the image is more easily edited onto another background.   We'd try that here but no studio and only a couple of cats can still jump like that..we can't.  : )