Forum: Carrara

Subject: Saving time question

DocMatter opened this issue on Aug 20, 2009 · 5 posts

DocMatter posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 10:25 PM

I'm just wondering what the usual time should be to save a .car file in C7 Pro.  It sure seems to take a heckuva long time.  I usually have to wait a good 5 minutes for C7 to save a decent sized file (~80-120 MB).  My systems no slouch, either.  I have a Quad cpu, 64-bit windows and 6 GB RAM.
Is this amount of time normal, or are there some settings I can tweak to improve this?
Thanks!

MarkBremmer posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 11:10 PM

It can be affected my many things so there is no one "right" way to save files. However, it's always a good thing to delete geometry and shaders that are no longer in your scene prior to saving. (Edit > Delete Unused Shader/Geometry)

Features like hair, saving texture files internally, complex replicators and more will extend time. 

DocMatter posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 11:27 PM

Well, I always do the "Delete Unused Shaders/Geometry" before I save, so I guess this is just something to get used to.  I can always use those few minutes here and there to reorganize my portfolio (laughs), learn a foreign language, etc...

Hoofdcommissaris posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 2:37 AM

Sometimes I find myself using files that insist on includinng a preview. That is a great way to greatly extend the saving time as well.

Sueposer posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 8:33 AM

It also depends hugely on the number of figures in the scene. Four dragons and a house will take 2 minutes.
I hit the save, then go do a chore.