Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Any Idea's what's being fixed for P8 SR1?

LostinSpaceman opened this issue on Sep 04, 2009 · 101 posts

LostinSpaceman posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 1:47 AM

Anyone?

cspear posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 3:35 AM

According to bagginsbill and others, the main improvements are to the Library system and the FireFly renderer... it looks like a lot of the problems with the latter have been fixed.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Diogenes posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 4:54 AM

The artifacts issue has got to be one of them. :)

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

andolaurina posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 8:20 AM

Some of the known crashing causes are being fixed.

My RMP Store Freebies

Poser Ambassador; Poser 11 & 12 / DS4 / Metasequoia / Silo / Zbrush / realityPaint / UVMapperPro / XD 4 / Ps CC / Fw / Ai / Painter 12 / Clip Studio Paint / Comipo / Reality 3 / Windows 10 / Units = Poser Native

Tyger_purr posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 8:32 AM

bagginsbill has also indicated that they have added some more features to the library.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Magik1 posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 8:48 AM

I do hope that they've also sorted the "unable to load  texture" problem tha's been inherent since "5" ???

FightingWolf posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:28 AM

Wow. It's good to see they are on top of addressing the issues.  It's always good to see that.  I hope they are able to fix the texture issue too.  None of my textures would apply to Daz's dogs. and I had to apply them manually.

Frederick
Poser By Design

Magik1 posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:53 AM

Just the dogs? Lucky you, I can't apply textures to anything at all using the Matt poses...'have to do everything via the material room, trying to find textures by hand is a pain!

pjz99 posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 12:02 PM

I tried to get Smith Micro to include my fully rigged cyborg ninja nazi garden gnome figure in the SR but they they wouldn't take it.

My Freebies

Magik1 posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 12:15 PM

Doh! 'could just do with one o' those!!

FightingWolf posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 12:21 PM

The sad part is . I want to see what that would look like.  I'll have to get my digital pen and work out some sketches. LOL

Frederick
Poser By Design

TrekkieGrrrl posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 2:02 PM

The comma/decimal denominator thing is being fixed from what I can tell. I sent in a bug report on that and it's listed as "resolved"
As is the problem with the Poser Temp path adding new "8.0" folders on each load.

I havne't had big problems with the artifacts, so those hasn't been bothering me.

But I found an error/bug/whatever today. For the first time ever I decided to try the search option in the library.. and it didn't find anything. Even when I searched for things I'd just opened. Nothing.

I assume that is being fixed as well, because a search button that doesn't work is worse than NO search button :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Laylah posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 2:06 PM

Oddly enough the search works fine for me.
Ok ok, using it more then 3 times during any one poser session will cause it to crash, might need to send a ticket to Sm about that.

LostinSpaceman posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 3:20 PM

I'm crossing my fingers for a memory leak plug!

bagginsbill posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 5:03 PM

If search doesn't work for you, report it.

There are not enough beta testers in the world to find every conceivable combination of factors that reveals every possible bug. Some bugs have 7 or 8 different unique causes.

I assure you there were many beta testers and none had search problems with the first release. There were search problems, and all were solved for that set of users at the time.

Even after every single person now using P8 has every single problem resolved, I guarantee you that the next 5000 purchasers will find more. It is impossible to test every case within the beta group, even if they had 1000 people.

Report it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bopperthijs posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 6:41 PM

*There are not enough beta testers in the world to find every conceivable combination of factors that reveals every possible bug. Some bugs have 7 or 8 different unique causes.

*Just to illustrate that : a combination of only 20 factors can cause a result of 2,432,902,008,176,640,000 possibilities.

It's just a miracle that software can produced with only a few bugs.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

dml2000 posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 9:55 PM

I have been yacking with a Smith Micro Rep for several days now.. in all our conversation there is no mention of a SR-1 just down the road.

My problems are many.. 

Delay in the loading of textures..  the image comes in and 15-20 seconds later the textures load.
**After rendering, Poser will declaire a texture it just rendered flawlessly is not a bad file.
**Complex renders with more than 2 DAZ series 4 characters will render a single time and then P-8 says it has run **out of memory.
The Smith Micro people have stated they have tried to match a complex PZ-3 scene in pre render mode totaling some 416MB by using some cinema CD images a high poly vehicle and three casual Alyson and Ryans totalling 1.5 MB in size  to my **3 Fully colothed DAZ meshes ** with all the ++ morphs and skin textures totaling some **218 MB.
They say they have no memory issue suing a Pentium dual core CPU with Xp pro and 1 GB ram..

From what I am getting out of all this is that Smith Micro expects us to just use the G-2 figures in our renders..  I mean Jessie was OK , Sydney with a few morphs from other vendors was OK,   but **Alyson just plain out sucks

I really belive that Smith Micro Never even tested High poly Meshes Like M-4 and V-4 and mulitples there of in any test rendering they did.. 
I mean  what would it cost them to invest in a few DAZ meshes, their morph packages, a few textures, + a couple hair props and some casual clothing and really put P-8 through it's paces and see how many V-4 and M-4 it takes to make Poser 8 crash or run out of memory.

The techs had me perform an MSCONFIG and turn off several MS files and others to run P-8 as cleanly as I could. Guess what? I still ran out of memory..

And now Im doing a System restore to a date before the MSCONFIG  cuz my machine acts up from time to time 

I am not a happy P-8 camper as of this moment and so far the only thing I can see an improvement on is a slight faster rendering time.

I do hope the SRI comes PDQ cuz I'm behind on some of my rendering deadlines deadlines
dml2000**

bagginsbill posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:01 PM

Why do so many people encounter a problem and conclude that SM didn't test enough. Why do they conclude that SM is too cheap to buy some things and test them? Why do people conclude that none of the Beta testers ever did what they are doing?

Here, I tested it for you. 10 M4s, rendered with GI. I rendered it 8 times just to be sure nothing blew up. I did this during Beta test, but I just did it again to be sure. During Beta I did it with 16 figures.

Now what? Suppose we got the other 100 beta testers to do this and they have no problem as well. What would you suggest then for future testing effort? Would you still say there was not enough testing? Do you think that SM should give Poser 8 to 1,000 people for a beta test? 10,000 people? 100,000 people?

Peoples expectations about product development are unrealistic. No matter how much testing you do, short of giving the entire world a free copy as a beta test, it's impossible to find every possible scenario with every possible hardware and software and OS configuration.

Obviously there's something different about your computer than mine. I'm on a quite ordinary 3 year old Dell laptop with 2 GB RAM and a lame-ass dual core CPU. Why don't you give your computer to SM for a few weeks. I'm sure they'd be happy to add it to their testing lab, along with the dozens of other machines they already are testing with. Clearly there's something unique about yours.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Believable3D posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:23 PM

You seriously don't think most of the beta testers had figures like M4 and V4? I find that unfathomable.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

ratscloset posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:24 PM

Quote - **I really belive that Smith Micro Never even tested High poly Meshes Like M-4 and V-4 and mulitples there of in any test rendering they did.. 

The G2 Figures have more polys than V4 or M4.... as does Miki and Miki 2..

(I think at one point,  Miki's eyeballs had more on their own than either V4 or M4.)

Ryan and Alyson are not too far behind.

ratscloset
aka John

RavynGyrl posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:39 PM

Quote - Complex renders with more than 2 DAZ series 4 characters will render a single time and then P-8 says it has run **out of memory.
The Smith Micro people have stated they have tried to match a complex PZ-3 scene in pre render mode totaling some 416MB by using some cinema CD images a high poly vehicle and three casual Alyson and Ryans totalling 1.5 MB in size  to my **3 Fully colothed DAZ meshes ** with all the ++ morphs and skin textures totaling some **218 MB.
They say they have no memory issue suing a Pentium dual core CPU with Xp pro and 1 GB ram..

Well, gee, I surely hope they fix the memory leak (but if they don't see one, that's a bit worrisome). Some scenes I can render a few times before I get the out of memory error and a crash. But others, particularly ones in which I'm using an Aery Soul hair (which are extremely high poly as stated on the product pages), then I get the memory error and a crash after every render. Which really sucks and becomes quite time consuming when doing a dozen test renders.

So I do hope they are doing something to fix all these memory errors that many people are getting.

andolaurina posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:42 PM

I kind of liked what DAZ did with Carrara 7, though.  They let a lot of people (can't remember if it was everyone or just Platinum) beta test it. From what I remember, the beta version expired after 30 days.  It was both good for testing and to whet everyone's appetite for the actual application.  That might be a good idea for SM in the future. 

I'm not saying SM didn't test enough according to industry standards, but having a "timed beta test" might be a nice way to get more testing done as well as momentum for the product.  I definitely would like to see this happen for Poser Pro 2010.  Just my two cents.

My RMP Store Freebies

Poser Ambassador; Poser 11 & 12 / DS4 / Metasequoia / Silo / Zbrush / realityPaint / UVMapperPro / XD 4 / Ps CC / Fw / Ai / Painter 12 / Clip Studio Paint / Comipo / Reality 3 / Windows 10 / Units = Poser Native

pjz99 posted Fri, 04 September 2009 at 11:44 PM

Believable3d

Quote - You seriously don't think most of the beta testers had figures like M4 and V4? I find that unfathomable.

Since Bagginsbill was a beta tester, I think you may have misread what he was trying to say.
edit: err, assuming you were actually talking to Bagginsbill...
edit again: naw I don't think you were, never mind.

My Freebies

bagginsbill posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 12:05 AM

I just added 10 V4's to the 10 M4's, fully loaded with Morphs ++, as well as wearing 10 pairs of shorts, also with Morphs ++ in them. So 30 figures total. Oh, and they had gigantic 4K by 4K textures on them. Looking at Task Manager, I had 20 MB of memory left out of the 2 GB. Poser then crashed when I tried to render.

So, yes, it crashes when you run out of memory. 

As for memory leaks, there are certain kinds that are avoidable, and other kinds that are not. They aren't really leaks. It has to do with how memory gets carved up. Over time, big chunks get cut up to little chunks to use for smaller things. Then when these are returned, but not all can be returned because some objects are still in use, you end up with no more big chunks. Textures have to be loaded in big chunks. So Poser has to allocate a new big chunk. After a few iterations of this, there's no more room to allocate a big chunk, even though there are lots of little chunks available.

This is why enterprise servers are periodically rebooted, so that memory can be released.

If you're hitting this situation, it may help to render in a separate process. That way, the renderer gets its own memory, and when the render is finished, all of it is released as one big chunk. Rendering in a separate process is the way to avoid memory fragmentation. That's why rendering in a separate process was introduced.

bagginsbill posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 12:10 AM

Quote - I kind of liked what DAZ did with Carrara 7, though.  They let a lot of people (can't remember if it was everyone or just Platinum) beta test it. From what I remember, the beta version expired after 30 days.  It was both good for testing and to whet everyone's appetite for the actual application.  That might be a good idea for SM in the future. 

I'm not saying SM didn't test enough according to industry standards, but having a "timed beta test" might be a nice way to get more testing done as well as momentum for the product.  I definitely would like to see this happen for Poser Pro 2010.  Just my two cents.

They are doing that for Poser Pro 2010. Everybody who owns Poser 8 and also owns Poser Pro will be invited to participate in the Pro 2010 Beta. I'm really surprised that they offered to do that, since it is going to cost them BIG time to support the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people who will take them up on that offer. They have to create accounts for each person, manage all the beta serial numbers, etc. The Pro 2010 Beta will be a huge expense.

But I'm sure that a few people will still find issues with how SM conducts product development.

Believable3D posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 12:11 AM

Quote - Believable3d

Quote - You seriously don't think most of the beta testers had figures like M4 and V4? I find that unfathomable.

Since Bagginsbill was a beta tester, I think you may have misread what he was trying to say.
edit: err, assuming you were actually talking to Bagginsbill...
edit again: naw I don't think you were, never mind.

Yah, I was responding to the post before Bill's. Guess I should have quoted, but BB's post wasn't showing as I'd had the thread open a while before replying.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

pjz99 posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 12:20 AM

Happens to me too ;)

My Freebies

dml2000 posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 12:52 AM

I called up casual Alyson and P-8 gives you her size in memory.

Alyson comes in at @53.5 kb   Casual Ryan is 56.5 KB

V-4 naked with all her morphs++ installaled and a hair prop  55.5 MB 
M-4 Naked and all is Morph ++ installed plus hair prop            57.5 MB

Add some of the clothing packages and hair out there and the average Series 4 DAZ mesh comes in about 75-85 MB each

Big difference **56 KB vrs 85 MB
I had a Daz Back alley prop  A fully clothed V-4  2 Fully Clothed M-4 one with the Aery Soul hair prop mentioned above. The other M-4 used the M-4 beck texture..  A low poly VAN but I opted for a High ray traced paint coat.
One M-4 was wearing a body harness with holster and pistol

Added props included a Briefcase, A nice coffin that could be ray traced. thats in the van but seen through the open doors

The render board is painted black to simulate night and I use a single "4" light package to provide ample light for the alley

Total size of the PZ3 comes out to 418 MB

Smith micro tries to simulate the scene using 1 Alyson and 2 Ryans1.5 mb
no comparison to my M-4's and single Vicky at 256 MB

All IM saying and a bunch of other folks as well is that P-8  will do a single complex render and then just run out of memory.  It tells you to save your work and quit, but you can't cuz Poser soon crashes after that and requires a reboot.

Smaller renders using a M-4 and V-4 and some mood lighting will allow me to  render maybe 2 or 3 times if Im"m lucky, then it crashes

I use Poser for Illustrtaed stories.  I have lots of action in my stories and it's important to me to render an images and then adjust the POV , change the poses and expressions and get ready to render the next scene. I can't do that with any productivity if I have to reboot and reload P-8 after every render.

THIS CPU is used for CGI work and minor postwork.  Other than Winzip, ACDsee, Virus protection software, and a LE version of Photoshop 5, all I have on this computer is P-7 and P-8.
Execpt for the Series 4 and 3 DAZ meshes that DAZ recommends be loaded on the Default Poser runtime, All my other libraries are on a seagate Ext drive using USB 2.0
My C drive is I TB and I have almost 800 MB of free spavce for additional Virtual memory, I have a decent Nvidia card with 512 MB on board ram, and 4 gig RAM on my main board. using a 32 bit XP pro OS

I can produce work using P-7 but P-8 does render 40% faster and I am at a loss as to what could be conflicting here especially after doing a MSCONFIG and running P-8 and still having Memory problems.

I have all the respect  for a beta tester as I was once one myself..  But If smith Micro is going to emulate my problems then they do it with 3 fully morphed M-4 or V-4 meshes fully clothed, fully loaded with MATT textures and hair props and not use  Casual Ryan and Alyson.

Dml2000

Believable3D posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 3:04 AM

lol. Do you seriously think that ANY figure is 50 kb??? Still less a figure with the poly count and built-in morphs of the P8 figures?

And did you even look at Bagginsbill's posts above? He had way more weight than you do.

bantha posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 5:53 AM

dml2000, which OS do you use?
Is it 32 or 64 bit?
If it's windows 32bit, did you use the bigmem switch?
Do you render using the external renderer or the internal one?

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

TrekkieGrrrl posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 6:41 AM

LOL dml2000 You should try checking out the PMD and add THAT size to the Poser people. They have their morphs not IN their cr2s but outside. 

And I'd like to know where you have that size from. If I look at my folder in Explorer, Alyson.crz (which is a compressed format like zip just in case you didn't know - is 127kb - and her MORPHS, which are in a separate file, is 53,3MB

So I don't see her as much smaller than your precious V4 - just made more efficient.

BTW I think you're the first ever to claim that Jessi was anything near "ok" - she's the ugliest thing to ever come out of Poser IMO, while Alyson is so far the most versatile character.

The slight delay from loadig the scene and to the textures are loaded.. Yeah I see that in large scenes. Y'know, I'll rather have the actual geometry load fast and the textures a second later than wait 30 seconds more for the whole lot. That IS the time difference between Poser 8 and Poser 8 btw. 

But I guess you have a previous version. Why don't you just use that so your deadlines will be met? No need to get an ulcer over P8 then.

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

dml2000 posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 10:51 AM

Bantha

I use a XP pro 32 Bits system

On Smith Micros's advice I did check off a singular window option and reduced my threads from 3 to 2.   I know nothing of a Bigmen switch

Believable

When I go to the P-8 library and I click on Alyson Casual,  Poser shows me the size of the mesh in the blue window and it says 53.2 KB

Yet if I bring her up on the render board,  add a hair prop and save her to another library spot and then check her size, Alyson Casual comes in at a wopping 49.3 MB  big difference and I must assume not all the diference is her hair prop (LOL)

If one takes Alyson in her nude state and adds P-8 clothing (same as what she wears in the Casual setting, ) adds a texture map found in Materials and the same hair prop, Alyson rings in at  139.0 MB 

I did not try Ryan but I'll assume his figires are fairly close to Alyson give or take a MB

Still tho,,  V-4 fully loaded with ++ morphs a decent Skin texture and depending on the outfit and shoes blows them away at 189-215 MB  I have one M-4 Male figure that comes in at 256MB

I use 2-3 charcters in almost every render  for my Illustrated stories so right off the bat almost every pre render PZ3 is 200-300 MNb in size and I have yet to add a backdrop,  or light package to the image..  then click add shadows or a couple ray trace bounces and I have the afore mentioned 418 MB Pz3

Now with P-7 I could render a scene in 7-12 minutes  maybe 20 if I have complex lights
With P-8 the time is almost cut in half ..  but it does not help if P-8 runs out of memory

and after a reboot, I start P-8 load my saved pz3 scene and it pops in a moment later with no textures..  depending on the siz of the PZ3  the textures pop back into the scene 30 to 60 second later

So I will admit I may have been wrong about the size of Alyson and Ryan but I find it out that when you click on Alyson in the P-8 library it displays her size in KB  but put her on your desktop and saver the same image elsewhere and she is now 49.3 MB

Regards  dml2000

SatiraCapriccio posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 10:59 AM

Unfortunately, I continue to get the out of memory errors and crashes after rendering, even though I am rendering to a separate process. 

I'm using a less than year old Dell XPS which should be able to handle Poser 8 with no problems.  I reported the crashing to Smith Micro, they collected some info from me, essentially told me my specs/drivers were fine, and that they had added my report to the outstanding ticket for similar crashes.  Hopefully, SR1 will resolve this memory problem/crashing.  In the meantime, I am enjoying Poser 8; I just make sure to save any changes before test rendering.  If it's a change I'm not sure I will keep, I save to a new version.

One problem I'm encountered that I've yet to see anyone else mention is that certain textures using the Alternate_Diffuse node display as a glaring white, yet render perfectly.

Quote - If you're hitting this situation, it may help to render in a separate process. That way, the renderer gets its own memory, and when the render is finished, all of it is released as one big chunk. Rendering in a separate process is the way to avoid memory fragmentation. That's why rendering in a separate process was introduced.

Burning within each of us are Fires of Creativity

Satira Capriccio

bagginsbill posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 11:03 AM

The size of files reported in the library are of the file you're looking at. In the case of Alyson this is a crz file (compressed cr2). That is not Alyson's mesh or morphs - that's the file that causes those things to be loaded by describing all the other files that make her. Also, Poser files on disk are in text format or compressed text format, which has little to do with how much binary memory will be consumed by loading that object and all its ancilliary stuff.

If you have a scene that P7 can render and P8 cannot, then there is something wrong with P8. I have seen many posts about problems loading textures, so I have no reason to doubt that you've hit a snag. SM is working on SR1 that will hopefully correct this problem. (And many others)

dml2000 posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 1:07 PM

Satira

I had the same problem with a few textures

here is the solution

Open the Poser work space area, 
Then touch CNTR+Y to Open the Firefly Prevue panel
Locate the ENABLE HARDWARE SHADING option and **turn it off.
**Then Save the setting with whatever file name you want..

Hope this helps

I am seeing lots of memory complaints from other forums and I am following as many suggestions from Smith Micro or at least giving them a try.. Delayed textured loading came about after P-7 SR-3 and I went back to SR-2 , 

All I can say is when P-9 is released I may wait till the first SR-1 is released like some folks are doing with P-8..

Regards Dml2000

SatiraCapriccio posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 6:29 PM

I never realized this started after I enabled hardware shading while trying to resolve the render crashing problem.

Thanks.  That's exactly the setting that results in certain textures not displaying.

Quote - Open the Poser work space area, 
Then touch CNTR+Y to Open the Firefly Prevue panel
Locate the ENABLE HARDWARE SHADING option and **turn it off.
**Then Save the setting with whatever file name you want..

Hope this helps

Burning within each of us are Fires of Creativity

Satira Capriccio

MuonQuark posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 7:52 PM

For me, there is a problem with the library displaying correctly on my mac.  Apparently it don't like Snow Leopard.  Other folks have commented on this too.  Whenever you refresh, you get a different number by the folder.  Refresh long enough and Poser 8 will crash.  I think this is just mac specific.

EDIT:  Could this be related to a memory leak problem or is this strictly a flash problem do you think?

bagginsbill posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 9:35 PM

It's not a Flash problem. There is a bug in the C++ code that deals with the Mac file system. Flash isn't allowed to even see your file system. The Flex GUI relies on the Poser application server for all information about files.

It's not a memory leak either.

It's a straight up bug. I know what the problem is exactly and who had to fix it, but it isn't relevant.

gtrdon posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 9:39 PM

Whats a bigmem switch?  Maybe thats my problem .... ! How do you set it

I Have a Quad Core  with 4 Gig Memory W32 and my P8  gets memory errors crashes with  2 V4 each with  3 piece outfits. The same file loaded into P7 pro works fine and  no errors or texture problems.

grichter posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 9:50 PM

Quote -

EDIT:  Could this be related to a memory leak problem or is this strictly a flash problem do you think?

Open your console log after a crash and it is a bad memory allocation error in P8, not in flash. It was there under 10.5. 10.6 has a new way of handling allocations and magnifies the problem.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

pjz99 posted Sat, 05 September 2009 at 10:57 PM

Quote - Whats a bigmem switch?  Maybe thats my problem .... ! How do you set it

It's a setting that should be compiled into the application.  Pretty sure this is now built into Poser 8, it was built into Poser 7.  I doubt this is what's making you crash.  One thing you might try is making bucket size larger (odd as that sounds).  Just to test, see if you can render the same scene with a large bucket size and very small resolution (100x100) - obviously you won't want to do your renders at 100x100 resolution, but see if your problem still happens with smaller resolution, if it does then maybe you can find some combination between bucket size and render resolution that works.

My Freebies

gtrdon posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 12:45 AM

They crash before I have a chance to render....It seems random
The crashes happen randomly and usually in the Pose Room  while posing and loading figures and poses.
I usually see it after working in on a file for a long period of time. I am getting paranoid about
saving often  because a few  times the files were  screwed up when I loaded them again.
What the hell is eating all the resources.. These files work fine I n P7....I get these messages
about either a memory error sometimes when I load a file I just saved????In the very same program.....Gosh I hope the next SR fixes these problems there are too many good things to
like about P8  that I really like, but if you can't trust it then your better off going back to P7. I am tired of starting over

After thought::::
Is their some sort of cache somewhere  that need to be cleared?? 

Doran posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 1:23 AM

My Poser 8 stopped crashing when I disabled my System Manager. System Mechanic searches for bad registry references and clutter on my computer. I deactivated it's auto-scan feature and the crashing problem went away... YAY. I have read here on R'osity that screen saver and hibernation functions can result in crashes, which is kind of obvious, but there can be little programs that probably interrupt Poser 8 and cause it to crash. I have never had a problem with System Mechanic until now. Does anyone here have Norton 360 installed on their system? That program, for me at least, was so protective of my computer it wouldn't even let me access files :D jk

I would think that Norton 360 would cause Poser 8 to cough up a lung before allowing it to render anything. Thoughts?

ice-boy posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 2:37 AM

was something fixed about the material room? will it be fast like in poser 7?

:) 

bagginsbill posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 7:53 AM

Quote - was something fixed about the material room? will it be fast like in poser 7?

They know it's slow and are working on it. They also know the vast majority of users do not work with complex shaders. This is one of those tough calls:

1) Release SR1 now because it fixes so much else including crashes, searches, and the tiny thumbnails

or

2) Make everybody wait until the material room editing speed is optimized

Since everybody likes to play "product manager wannabe", what would you do?

If you do #1, then a bunch of people will scream "You have no respect for users, you ship crap too early".

If you do #2, then a bunch of people will scream "You are morons - so slow with critical updates - you suck because P8 crashes on me."

dphoadley posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:16 AM

*"If you do #1, then a bunch of people will scream "You have no respect for users, you ship crap too early".

If you do #2, then a bunch of people will scream "You are morons - so slow with critical updates - you suck because P8 crashes on me."*
bagginsbill**, your posts remind not a little to Abraham Lincoln's rebuttals of Stephen A. Douglas in his famous prairie debates.
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Kendra posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 12:45 PM

I am not happy with P8.  I loaded a simple scene with P8 figures and one daz scene prop and it crashed.  And that library set up is horrible.  I think an ETA on a fix would be a good idea. 

...... Kendra

redtiger7 posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 1:20 PM

Quote - > Quote - was something fixed about the material room? will it be fast like in poser 7?

They know it's slow and are working on it. They also know the vast majority of users do not work with complex shaders. This is one of those tough calls:

1) Release SR1 now because it fixes so much else including crashes, searches, and the tiny thumbnails

or

If you do #1, then a bunch of people will scream "You have no respect for users, you ship crap too early".

If you do #2, then a bunch of people will scream "You are morons - so slow with critical updates - you suck because P8 crashes on me."

#1, so you get the majoority of users up and runing again, and release an annoucement saying the Metrial room fix is on it's way.

redtiger7 posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 1:22 PM

Quote - For me, there is a problem with the library displaying correctly on my mac.  Apparently it don't like Snow Leopard.  Other folks have commented on this too.  Whenever you refresh, you get a different number by the folder.  Refresh long enough and Poser 8 will crash.  I think this is just mac specific.

It's not Mac exclusive. I'm running Win XP and having the same problems.

MuonQuark posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 3:52 PM

Quote - > Quote - For me, there is a problem with the library displaying correctly on my mac.  Apparently it don't like Snow Leopard.  Other folks have commented on this too.  Whenever you refresh, you get a different number by the folder.  Refresh long enough and Poser 8 will crash.  I think this is just mac specific.

It's not Mac exclusive. I'm running Win XP and having the same problems.

Hopefully there will be a fix coming soon.

gtrdon posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 4:09 PM

Doran
Contact Norton and have them update your 360 to the latest release..
I had some library problems.
There is a issue with 360 and MSIE 8 but their latest version fixed it
I don't blame Norton since 360 it was developed before MSIE8 and they are not the only ones having compatibility issues with MSIE  
They did it for me for free and the library problems went away.
I still have alot unexplained crashes but I don't think Norton is the cause.
Hopefully the next SR will fix the.. crash issue...

LostinSpaceman posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 4:17 PM

NEWSFLASH!! For whatever it's worth, since learning that Poser's ability to render in a separate process was supposed to free up memory better, I've added 2 more P5 Judy's, another P5 Don and one Posette, fully clothed and textured, to my 801 frame animation which was crapping out at frame 390 in Poser 8. I set my render preferences to 1 thread separate process and now I'm on frame 605 of frame 801 in Poser 8 with no crashes in sight! I now have no more complaint about Poser 8! 

gtrdon posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 4:25 PM

BB-
"I just added 10 V4's to the 10 M4's, fully loaded with Morphs ++, as well as wearing 10 pairs of shorts, also with Morphs ++ in them. So 30 figures total. Oh, and they had gigantic 4K by 4K textures on them. Looking at Task Manager, I had 20 MB of memory left out of the 2 GB. Poser then crashed when I tried to render."

Wow thats alot.
However, I am no expert at this so correct me if I am wrong...
You essentially are using only 2 geometry for M4 an 2 for V4s only and 2 sets of textures  for all figures so. So I would assume that unless Poser  would only set aside memory for  data  that
was common to all figures. If you used different textures and different characters  then that number of characters that could loaded  would be significantly lower.

I am not trying to be  contrite; but I am interested  in finding out if this is true

bagginsbill posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 5:34 PM

I don't really know. I'd have to do the experiment over again, and watch the memory use increment per figure.

If Poser shares geometry and morph data across those figures, only keeping the final actual posed figure geometry per figure, then loading the first V4 should consume more incremental memory than loading each additional identical V4.

I confess, though, that I have no interest in spending the time to find out. I don't really care. I only do teaching renders, not art. I'm no artist.

I did the experiment because I heard whining.

Quote - I mean  what would it cost them to invest in a few DAZ meshes, their morph packages, a few textures, + a couple hair props and some casual clothing and really put P-8 through it's paces and see how many V-4 and M-4 it takes to make Poser 8 crash or run out of memory.

The answer is 20. ;-)

dml2000 posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 7:19 PM

MR BB

if you considered my observation and from the looks of the other posts that seem to having the exact same problems as I am, as whining,  you are far from the truth. 

As Beta testing involves all aspects of individuals who use Poser in their own way, then you might have been a tad more understanding to my situation, Like Smith Micro, you just rigged a setting using a bunch of M-4 on a blank screen using the default  Beck texture with shorts.. equivelent or if not exceeding the 418 MB pre render PZ3. It looks as if you also used  the default desktop lights and then rendered your image.  Then as you say you doubled the figures.

You emulated size and not exact content and how could you..  As you say you are not an artist and most likely do not have a vast Poser library built up over ten years. 

Some of the artist here are experienced memory breakdown with smaller scenes than I had to begin with.

The images you see in the galleries here, using the lavish props, clothing, mesh textures, backdrops and light package we buy here in the store are done by ARTIST.   We ARTIST are patient folks to a degree but when the fruits of our labours crash before our eyes, time after time after time,  or after a complex render, we see one thing at fault and try to ammend it,   only to have Poser run out of memory, causing a total reboot, then something is wrong. And especially since the problems does not seem to affect P-7 using SR-3

Wrong enough that Smith Micro seems to be working on a SR1 fix. 

Try to create 150 complex renders, then postwork them for injection into a 112 page iluustrated story, including editing and meet your deadlines so you can get paid, and perhaps you can see where Im coming from. 

I was not whining..  I was "P*ssed OFF" 

Just before I posted what you considered my "WHINING" rant..  at Smith Micro's request,  I had just spent **2.5 hours supplying Smith Micro with a typed up copy of my entire Runtime Library on my extrenal drive, and the directory of my V-4 M-4  on the Default Poser8 runtime
I also had to supply them with a path for each of my V-4 M-4 V-3 M-3 Meshes as they appear in the **Poser Default runitme Inlcuding the Morphs and textures
**I also had to illustrate the exact path of the item(s) used in the image that had caused P-8 to run out of memory
**Here's an example **(thankfully I saved this and just did a cut and paste here)

**E:/ poser runtimes / M4Library / runtime / library / characters / M4 clothes/ BO Outrage / OR Sweater 
E:/ poser runtimes / M4Library / runtime / library / poses / M4 clothes/ BO Outrage / OR Sweater Black
E:/ poser runtimes / M4Library / runtime / textures / Out of touch / BO Outrage / OR Sweater 
black
**That was just for one piece of clothing.  The M-4 also wore slacks, sneakers, had a mesh texture, and hair prop plus a pose.  All the paths had to be listed for Smith Micro
Not to mention the path for the M-4 Mesh itself on the default Poser-8 runtime.

If there was a simpler way to do this I was not privy to it and Smith Micro sure as hell did not supply me with any shortcuts
8 pages of text fullfilled Smith Mocro's request who had told me that I was under no obligation to do this, but it would greatly assist the Poser engerneer to get a better handle on my problems

Personally I believe they expected to scare me off with such a request. 

They propbably looked at the 8 pages of text  and hopefully realized that I am sombody who want to see this problem resolved.  It might not all get done with SR 1, but I did it to show how serious I was that I want this problem resolved not just for me,  but by the looks of it here, at DAZ and at Renderotica *That lot of customers who ARE ARTIST are Pssed OFF"
Regards dml2000

dml2000 posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 7:42 PM

I forgot to mention my latest peeve..

When I create Illustrated stories I begin by creating the characters I will use to make rendering easier.. I do the same with all my sets

For a V-4 character I will create a nude version, then the same charatcer in undies, then a few in various peices of clothing

I then I create my next character

I was in the process of creating my 4th character.. an M-4 character,  and had it on my desktop. I injected the body morphs and MATT texture and then Added Slacks, a casual top, and sneakers and then textured the clothing. and saved the image

Since I only had three pieces of clothing I decided to un-delete the items and change the outfit.
I un-deleted each texture MATT, then removed in order the sneakers, the shirt and then the slacks getting the M-4 back to his nude state..  Then P-8 crashed.

No exotic lights, nothing but the P-8 default light and desktop.

Once again I have to reboot the machine and start over.

it's very frustrating

Regards dml2000

TrekkieGrrrl posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:01 PM

I'm not saying you havne't got a problem here, dml2000, but you are aware, I assume, that BB is one of the people actually currently working on that SR1, right?

Just in case you don't think he knows what he's doing. I assure you, he does!

grichter posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:18 PM

Lets see if I can referee here. I think what you are missing is dml2000 is talking about a full scene with several characters wearing clothes, shoes and transmapped hair, lots of props, windows, maybe mirrors or reflective jewelry, possibly some sort of background image.

The way I read dml2000 post they feel what they are doing vs what BB is doing is like comparing apples to oranges.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

LostinSpaceman posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:24 PM

Quote - Lets see if I can referee here. I think what you are missing is dml2000 is talking about a full scene with several characters wearing clothes, shoes and transmapped hair, lots of props, windows, maybe mirrors or reflective jewelry, possibly some sort of background image.

The way I read dml2000 post they feel what they are doing vs what BB is doing is like comparing apples to oranges.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

gtrdon posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:32 PM

DMl2000 was not  questioning BB's  technical ability...  just offended by being called a "whiner" .
BB has helped us all here and I appreciate his contributions to this forum...I am just glad I don't do this graphics stuff for a living if I were...I would be "whining" alot more than I do now.

SteveJax posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:38 PM

Quote - Lets see if I can referee here. I think what you are missing is dml2000 is talking about a full scene with several characters wearing clothes, shoes and transmapped hair, lots of props, windows, maybe mirrors or reflective jewelry, possibly some sort of background image.

Or Apples to PC's even! :tt2:

grichter posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:44 PM

Quote -

ROFLMA...(I surrender. You win!)

Gary

dml2000 posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 9:49 PM

Trekkie Grrrrl

As a beta tester for Windows 98 and Internet Explorer I was chosen at randon based of some surveys I answered from Microsoft. At the time I ran a business and they wanted to see how Win 98 worked for both personal and business sutuation.  I was also made  aware beta testers included average folk, IT folks, gamers and programmers.

I am quite sure  BB will be given the SRI program to test prior to it's release. If he has a hand in the scripting of the program so much the better as he seems to have a knowlege and explanations of things I cannot even begin to fathom..
Smith Micro had to even remind me how to engage MSCONFIG as I had not done this for several years and had simply forgotten

It was not my intent to tick anyone off but it would seem that his applicationa for how he uses Poser and mine are totally different.  PZ3's averaging 400 MB or more  are common place for me.

As I stated in my earlier post.. I was ticked off and wanted to rant, especially after doing everything the Smith Micro guys threw at me such as MSConfiging my system and requesting all the stuff I mentioned above resulting in over 8 pages of text that consumed 2.5 hrs of my time.
Plus the MSCONFIG did something to my system and I had to do a system restore and set it for two days befor the MSCONFIG and now everything seems to be working as it was.

I'm sure that some Beta Testers had huge libraries to create complex scenes and Push P-8 to it's limit.   It just irked me that Smith Micro tried to emulate my work without using Actual V-4 and M-4 characters  Casual Alyson and Ryan, or any G-2 figure does not compare to the slightly more complex meshes of M-4 and V-4 Personally I wish DAZ would make a M4 and V4 reduced resolution as they did for V-3 & M-3 

I even tried to create a lite V-4 and came up with a mesh using 42MB.. yet V-4++ is just 13MB larger so it really did not make much sense

I just want to get this software to work and I have been complying to all of Smith's Micro's demands to help resolve my problems.

And no disrespect here to any of the beta testers but  BB has stated he is not an artist. Are there any Artist here that were Beta Testers or did I miss anything in this thread Cuz I would like to hear some of the Pz-3 scenes that were used to test P-8s memory

Who kinows  when P-9 comes out Smith Micro could select myself or any other individual that went to the tech support page and filled out incident reports

Regards  dml2000 

SteveJax posted Sun, 06 September 2009 at 10:14 PM

Quote - > Quote -

ROFLMA...(I surrender. You win!)

Oooo... do I get a prize? I love prizes! 😉

ice-boy posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 1:52 AM

Quote - > Quote - was something fixed about the material room? will it be fast like in poser 7?

or

i can whait for a faster material room. :) 

dml2000 posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 1:59 AM

This is the complex redner I was talking about. Original  size is 1020 x 1320 150 dpi.  The PZ3 is 418 MB in size

DAZ Backdrop, 2 M4's fully clothed  The V-4 fully clothed is in the raytraced caskett, The raytraced van and various props about the alley. The explosion is a poser overlay enhanced in postwork along with the reflections in the side windows.  The casket and top of van reflect part of the explosion. This is why I gave them reflective properties

Regards dml2000

LostinSpaceman posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 3:12 AM

You did all of that and left out shadows?!? :tt2:

dml2000 posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 8:14 AM

Lost in spaceman

Yeah the Shadows   I know they are missing and I must still postwork them in.
I just wanted to display something to show just how complex this redner was.
This is whats making P-8 run out of memory

I Had just finished postworking the explosion's refection in the windows. and giving the alleyway a red tint..  then I noticed that how could the back of my guy in the forground be tinted red when it's facing away from the blast.. so I added a layer, tinted it red and opaqued the layer setting, then used an eraser tool to remove the red tint from the back of the guy in the forground.. 

The lightset used here was one of the few that did not make P-8 crash in midstrem.
It just runs out of memory after doing the render ... **or tells me that certain textures files it had just rendered flawlessly are now bad..  then it crashes.
I figured get this rendered and I can postwork shadows later on.. still lots of work to do, but the lightset I had planned on has a grouping of 8 lights and the one I could use had a grouping of 4
all shooting straight down It gave the alley enough light but no distinct shadows

Regards dml2000

TrekkieGrrrl posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 10:04 AM

I'm wondering why you used such a high rez figure as V4 to put in that casket. All you can see of her is a silhouette anyway. You might as well use one of the low rez characters (even the low rez Poser 2 figures would do I think)

Sometimes it also helps with memory if you turn off any bodyparts that can't be seen (covered in clothing) - for some reason it makes Poser think they aren't there at all.

Are you planning to print this? Otherwise there's no need to use anything but the default 72dpi - that may also save you some overhead.

Postworked shadow are rarely going to look as good as real ones. And raytraced shadws doesn't take up much memory. It increases rendertime (sometimes) but the benefit is they look nice AND fall where they're supposed to. I'd put one omni light as the sun and a orange-y point light where your explosion is. That would make nice and believable shadows :)

vilters posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 10:32 AM

@dml2000
i took a very long look at your render.
And I have just one singe remark .

Please be seated, it is for this render only.
Why use high poly male and female figures for that particular render?

My sugestion would be, use the right tools for the job.
In this case, even posette and dork would have done.
At this focal distance, and as a second argument, from the back, one does not even see the faces?

This would be great with the correct shadows. (would be great with IDL light from the explosion! !
Nice explosion BTW.
Sorry TrekkieGrrrl, was just writing this, as I see your post .
Indeed, hiding unseen parts is another solution.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

ValleyMist posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 4:53 PM

Was just going to mention that Stonemason has an updated version of The Back Alley.
I don't know if that would make any difference.

dml2000 posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 5:09 PM

I need not be seated to take contructive critism good or bad.. unlike some artist who may flip out when issued a negative comment,  My ego is quite thick..

I can understand where most of you are coming from, but this is not about prodcuing a single piece of work,  this is part of a **vast scene that will played out over several different pages..
and be viewed from several different angles. 
This set is just one set of many, and the fugures I use must be able to prodcue good facial features and expression and be much more appealing to the eye than a G-2 figure.These figures will play a part in about 70-90 percent of the pages I produce regardless of close up or disatnt panel shots

There is nudity in my stories, sory but I have yet to see a decent G-2  male or female that campare to Mike3/4 or V3/4..  I know one artist at Renderotica that has done wonders with G2 Jessie, but he needed a outsite vender's morphs package and textures to make her look appealing.

Furhtermore trying to get a low poly figures in clothing that resembles the stuff available to DAZ meshes is next to impossible.  Now I do use G-2 figurs as background people that may be in one panel or two,, (see the image I provided using my main M-4 character a G-2 and two low poly Loretta meshes .). but from page to page, for the duration of a 112 page illustated story
I must create a series of characters and rely on them through my story.

For the scene I supplied earlier, durring the 11-12 pages there will be 4 different M-3 or M-4  characters and a single V-4.  I do remove the meshes when necessary to conserve space,

Three panels before this scene. The guy with the Briefcase sneaks up upon a M-3 figure hiding behind the fence and take him out whith a silenced shot to the head.  **(notice the blood by the fence).  
** **Now we move the entire set 90 decgrees,  I do not need the dead guy so he's history and removed from the scene just like the guy that was going up the fireescape three panels earlier and hding behind a window is not needed.  Even the V-4 in the casket is not needed for the next two panels untill the bagman asks the kidnapper to show the girl .

Now I open the Van doors and inject the V-4 + casket into the scene .  Once the kidnapper shows the coffin.  the bagman hits a detonator hidden inside the handle of the briefcase and Boom...  the unseen bad guy in the window is toast.

What comes after this displayed panel is the last kidnapper being dispatched and the bagman opens the casket and the V-4  mesh is revealed.

All this action follows a sript to make rendering faster and keeps a flow in the work.

Render, export image, rotate scene, remove M-3 figure
/repose  M-4 chactares, render, export scene,
repose characters, render scene/export image/
Unhide the explosion overlay/ repose guy by the van, render, export images..  etc etc..

This works for for me or at least it did with P-7..  with P-8 the memory crashes disrupts the flow of work.. and why all this works in P-7 with SR-2 and Not P-8 is beyond me right now.

BTW thanks for the complimetn on the explosion..  but credit goes to a local vendor in the Renderosity store  see Curio's explosions .. All I did was enhance it in postwork

**Doing story line art is totally different that single pieces so I hope this helps in explaing how these things work for me. Even the Movie people use storyboards and action sequence scripting to better evsision the overall scene

Regards  dml2000

vilters posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 5:41 PM

Thanks for the explanation, I read that you use Low Poly where possible.

Personally, I'v never had memory problems, but got some CPU to 100%, and Poser8 stops, during rendering.

RavynGyrl posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 11:16 PM

Just to back dml2000, I have used Poser 8 for all of my recent images (dating back to Aug. 12...check my gallery for examples). I don't know how complicated you'd call my renders, as they generally only feature one, sometimes two, figures...then with clothes, hair, sometimes props and background sets (but a lot of the time I render over pre-made backgrounds). I render on high settings, 300 ppi, and generally above 2000 px on the short side (although on this older machine using P8, I haven't been able to get above 2000 px on the large side without a crash midway through rendering). I render for print quality as I want to sell my art.

Anyway, some scenes I can get away with a few (3-6) test renders (which are not set at high settings, are much smaller, and are only 72 ppi), and some scenes it crashes after every render...that's when it gets frustrating. Since I consider myself an artist and I use Poser to create art that I want to sell, this memory issue is a problem. Once I get my newer system back, I'm hoping I won't have so many memory issues...but I'm not holding my breath. Crossing my fingers SR1 fixes these issues.

Believable3D posted Mon, 07 September 2009 at 11:52 PM

Just to let y'all know: There's no such thing as dpi except in printer settings. The only relevant item dimension-wise, is pixels.

dml2000 posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 12:41 AM

A certain publiscation I sometimes contribute work  to requires images be submitted at 1020 x 1320 and at 120 dpi. Submissions must be TIF of PSD so it's just easier to set up my renders in this matter.

On m pinup work I usually do like to print them out  but on the norm I stay at 120 dpi and export the finished renders in PSD..  for my Illustrated Stories, The publishing program I use will only except BMP PSD and Jpeg.. Only the BMP and PSD images are used in my work, and once it's laid out an caption blocks are inserted and text all edited, I publish in TIF 120 dpi. then convert the single images to a huge PDF file for use with adobe acrobat. reader

regards  dl2000

cspear posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 4:25 AM

Quote - A certain publiscation I sometimes contribute work  to requires images be submitted at 1020 x 1320 and at 120 dpi. Submissions must be TIF of PSD so it's just easier to set up my renders in this matter.

On m pinup work I usually do like to print them out  but on the norm I stay at 120 dpi and export the finished renders in PSD..  for my Illustrated Stories, The publishing program I use will only except BMP PSD and Jpeg.. Only the BMP and PSD images are used in my work, and once it's laid out an caption blocks are inserted and text all edited, I publish in TIF 120 dpi. then convert the single images to a huge PDF file for use with adobe acrobat. reader

regards  dl2000

Is the publication you submit work to in Europe? Because in that case 120 dots per centimetre makes sense (being almost equal to 300 dots per inch). 120 dots per inch is a bit lower than you'd normally specify for newspaper reproduction.

Also, Believeable3D is right. Only printers have dots. For everything else you should be using pixels per inch (ppi) or pixels per centimetre (ppc).

Finally, telling us that you render at '120 dpi' is meaningless. We need to know the width and height at that resolution. For example, if you render a 1 inch square image at "120 dpi", that's very different to a 10 inch square image at "120 dpi". Better yet, stick to the actual pixels. Those two examples would then be defined as '120px x 120px' and '1200px x 1200px' respectively.

Adobe CC 2017

Believable3D posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 8:43 AM

Quote -
Also, Believeable3D is right. Only printers have dots. For everything else you should be using pixels per inch (ppi) or pixels per centimetre (ppc).

Actually, what I'm saying is that neither dots nor inches nor centimeters have any bearing on anything whatsoever to anything other than print. The only function of knowing your print-output dpi is so you know how many total pixels to render. Total pixels is the only dimension-related number that is directly relevant to a discussion of renders and how long they take.

cspear posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 10:11 AM

Believeable3D, I'm with you all the way there, but it seems that most confusion stems from exactly  that scenario: how many pixels to render for a given output.

For example, a good many people get fixated on "dpi", thinking that setting it to 300 is a magic switch that automatically invokes 'print quality' renders.

I encounter this every day (I run a print shop) and it drives me up the wall. The number of times I've told a customer that their 600 x 400 pixel digital images just aren't good enough for printing full page (or a double-page spread, god help us), only to have this countered with: "but it's 300 dpi!" is incredible.

So it's one of my bug-bears. If I see someone talking just of 'dpi' or 'ppi' I feel compelled to make them think about what it means.

Adobe CC 2017

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 10:45 AM

Search this forum for "DPI", posts by me. I, too, am driven up the wall about this, but I've given up caring. Some memes will not die. If somebody insists on ignoring the information/explanations/math on this topic, I actually enjoy visualizing their frustration at the results they can't get, as it matches my frustration that I can't seem to make this simple concept understood. It's karma.

dml2000 posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 10:53 AM

The Poser window relating to size allows one to set **px/in and cm/in
with that said  I would assume I am redering at  1020 pixels by 1320 pixels at 120 or 150 dpi.
I do this so should I decide to print a pinup or image for my 8.5 x 11 inch porfolio folder I will get good results from my home printer using some semi glossy paper.

DPI has bugged me especially when scanning documents. why does a program like Poser use 72 dpi as a default, and my comic software use 96 dpi.. as you say if it only matters in printing why would they not be the same..

As for other applications  The software that is used for some of the publication work I am involved with.. (not mine, their's) requires the 120 dpi setting for conversion to a PDF document

My comic software programs allows me to publish to PDF, but the publisher wants TIF or PSD images at 120 dpi images and they do the converting. My comic software allows this with a default setting of 96 dpi for TIF or PSD...   So I just follow protocal so it's just easier to leave my poser settings where they are

As we get a free copy of everything we are published in, I have been able to bring the PDF image onto my screen and see good imaging even if I increase the PFD doc to 125 or 150% of original. 

I am a little famiiar with printing as I worked for The A B DICK CO, a major producers of printing presses in the US for many years but is now defunct .. I remember how high quality printing required a master black aluminum Phototatic plate and then 3 additional plates for each of the primary colours. and how there were allignment bars on the corner of the plates to insure proper overlapping  Our company was also next door to a Local Lithographer  who did poster art . They had these huge printing machines lined up 4 in a row so they could do one pass printing.

Thanks for the additional data tho.. one should lean something new every once in a while.

Regards dml2000

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 10:59 AM

Quote - so I would assume I am redering at  1020 pixels by 1320 pixels at 150 dpi.

11 inches times 150 pixels per inch is 1650 pixels, not 1320 pixels.

11 inches times 120 pixels per inch is 1320 pixels.

dml2000 posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 11:13 AM

BB

I understand that and see those pixels sizes when I review my stuff using my ACDSee Imaging software..  I use one setting for my portfolio,  the other for my publication obligations.

The sofware also allowsa me to shrink images to a certain size and give me the option of applying the  exact aspect raio or not.  I try not to make DPI setting mistakes when doing my own work and work for others that require particular settings and the ACDSee visual scrren supplies all the data for my images involving format, pixel size and Overall size in MB for TIF and PSD images and KB for low res jpegs suitable for internet.

Jpeg size is very important at some websites as they restict the size of your jpegs uploads to 500kb.

Dml2000

cspear posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 11:25 AM

dml2000, Poser's ppi setting (I just checked and in Poser 8 it's "Pix/In") is there as a convenience. It only means anything if you set your render up in inches or centimetres, which you can do if you can't do the basic math yourself. If you set your render up in pixels, it's almost irrelevant, but Poser uses 72ppi by default because it has to use something, and 72ppi is generally accepted as standard "monitor resolution" So is your comic software's 96ppi: It's another standard, and another reason to **stop being fixated on meaningless dpi/ppi figures.
If your publication specifies 1020 x 1320 pixels, that's what to give them. If they want the image tagged as being 120dpi or 150dpi, that's what to give them. You do realise that a 1020 x 1320 pixel image at 72ppi and a 1020 x 1320 pixel image at 96ppi are exactly the same?

Adobe CC 2017

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 11:27 AM

Huh?

You mention JPEG size limits.

JPEG size is not affected by PPI, and if we have any hope of clarity in this conversation, it would help if we stopped mentioning DPI. There is no DPI in JPEG. The "Dots" in "DPI" refer to the printer inking resolution, at the sub-pixel level, and usually is 1200 to 4800 DPI. This has nothing whatsoever to do with PPI, or total pixel size, or JPEG size.

I see, also, you edited your previous post. When I saw it and quoted it, there was only "150 dpi" in there.

Round and round we go. :-)

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 11:30 AM

This article is about photos, but everything is still relevant to renders. Just replace Camera with Renderer, and Photo with Rendered Image.

http://dpanswers.com/tech_pixels.html

gtrdon posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 12:32 PM

The Twist Tool does not seem to work correctly. You cannot rotate  a figure from the icon button. Like you can with the translate tool button.Instead you must rotate the figure from the screen  where the body circle is. This is not  this way on earlier versions of Poser work
Is this a bug or a feature???

DarksealStudios posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 1:19 PM

Just ran across this thread. Just wanted to post 1 gripe I'm having with p8...
I have not had any issues with p8 crashing at random. My crah comes from one very specific thing. The Set up room. Load geometry or import geo. Go to the Setup room. Load a cr2. Click on ANYTHING in the viewport and BAM, crashola. I've gone back and forth with SM on this. I guess I just run out of steam on the 8th email back and forth about, try this, well try that....
Try only P8 content, update graphics driver (that didn't exist when p8 was released), send us a log file.
Yes I want to have these issues fixed, but I can't spend 4 hours trying to resolve one thing. Cause it seems, at the end of the day, it all comes down to a 'thank you, we will look into it", or "we have been unable to duplicate this".
I'm happy not to have alot of the issues that others are having, but the new fun tools for MAKING content was what i was after in p8. It's really a kick in the nuts not to be able to do something like use the bone tool.

Oh, and the dpi that you guys were talking about really gets me going too. I can't tell you how many PRODUCTS have ***2500x3000 at 300 DPI !!!!
*** nough said

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 1:29 PM

Phionix-

That's a pain.  They can't reproduce it? 

Out of curiosity, I just clicked Setup and crashed Poser instantly. LOL And I'm using SR1. Oh noooo!

Whichway posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 3:20 PM

Arrgh! BagginsBill, please stop finding major new bugs at this point, I really want the IDL improvements. 😄

Whichway

vilters posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 3:48 PM

Same thing here.
Touch tjhe Setup Room and Poser "Stops working" in Windows 7.
No onther errors, just crash to desktop.
Any model, any time, every time;
even after PC Reboot.
File a ticket to SM.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 4:06 PM

There is a bug report already - i checked. I wrote a note in it, saying what you just said, vilters. Happens no matter what.

lkendall posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 4:24 PM

BB:

Intermittently, Poser 8 crashes when I refresh something in the library. Seeing that I add things to my library from time to time, refresh is needed to see the new content. Is this an already known and reported bug?

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 4:31 PM

On a Mac, yes. Not on PC.

DarksealStudios posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 4:52 PM

Oh BB, you just broke my heart. Your running the 1st build of sr1 and it still crashes...
Hmm, you and another person were able to replicate my ticket on the 1st try.... yet SM has NO IDEA what I'm talking about...

If I were them I'd ask you BB, have you updated your driver, are you running in Opengl?

What is your best friends birthday and does it fall on a Tuesday this year, cause if it does than you should try a reinstall unless it happens to be a full moon and mercury is in retrograde.

I wonder what SM is doing that it doesn't crash on them but does for almost every other person. How can they ask me to spend that much time on an issue when it is obvious that it is wide spread and not some quirk on my machine only.

I know you (BB) had talked about issues, and that beta testers can't find all the problems... ( like some bad sci-fi movie were the genetically engineered animal gets released into the wild... with unexpected results) BUT COME ON. I don't think they even tried it.

Just my rant....... I'm sure everyone worked just as hard as BB did. But like so many other softwares, if it's not right, don't release it. If it has real issues where you can't do some of the most simple of funtions that the software is made for, don't release it. If it doesn't work correctly on 80% of the TARGET markets current computer setup after any and all driver updates (till I'm blue in the face), don't release it. Re-work, re-hash, re-build, re-toool, re-think.... cause after I buy it I don't want to ask for a re-fund, I want the software to be reliable.

Some people have to try to make a living from it.................................

"And thats all I have to say about that"

Believable3D posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 4:59 PM

Quote - On a Mac, yes. Not on PC.

Hm, it's happened to me repeatedly on PC (Win XP Pro). Not constantly, but very frequently.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 08 September 2009 at 5:00 PM

I hear ya. I'll poke them.

Believable3D posted Wed, 09 September 2009 at 4:25 AM

The big frustration for me is that the refresh issue isn't simply when I add content with Poser open. It happens when I fire up Poser and go to the runtimes. In fact, P8 is even throwing me question marks at folders that haven't had any change in some time. So there's something very strange going on with that library refresh, even aside from the repeated crashing it causes.

The other weird thing I'm experiencing in the last couple days is that in both P8 and Poser Pro, I'm losing my injected morph when I reopen my file. It's still there in the palette, and still showing as set at "1," but I'm just seeing V4's default head shape. The only way to fix it is remove the morph and re-inject. Have you ever heard of anything like that before? I can't see how P8 could cause PP to act that way, but I don't know what else could cause the weirdness either....

grichter posted Wed, 09 September 2009 at 10:31 AM

Apologies to the band Dire Straits and for destroying the lyrics by Mark Knopfler and Sting.

quick and dirty render in PoserPro (because the P8 library on Mac's makes it impossible to use)
Used recent Rendo Market Place items
SuperStar Poses by caprica
V4 Exotic Dancer by richabri
Pasithea Hair by 3Dream, Plus3D and Mairy

But V4 is singing to the song Money for Nothing

I want my, I want my SR1
I want my, I want my SR1

Now look at them renders's, that's not the way you do it
You play with P8 on that old PC
P8 ain't workin', that's not the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your crashes for free
Now P8 ain't workin', that's not the way you do it
Lemme tell ya, we all must be dumb
Maybe get a blister on your mousing finger
Maybe get a blister on your mousing thumb

{Refrain}
We got to install Flash Updates
Custom Firewall settings
We got to move these runtimes
We got to Reconfig these damn PC's

See V4 with the earring and the makeup
Yeah, buddy, that's transmapped hair
Plus I need to buy a 3D airplane
With this runtime you'd think I was a millionaire

{Refrain}
I shoulda learned Studio3
I shoulda learned to use Cinema4D
Look at that mama, P8 crashes if you move the camera
Man I can't be this dumb
And Poly counts up there, what no Hawaiian dresses
What happened to the Poser Chimpanzee
Oh, P8 ain't workin' that's not the way you do it
Pay your money for nothin' get your crashes for free

{Refrain}

Now P8 ain't workin' that's not the way you do it
You try to run P8 on that lame PC
P8 ain't workin' that's not the way you do it
Money for nothin' and your crashes for free

Money for nothin' and crashes for free
  I want my, I want my, I want my SR1

Runs and dives for cover

Gary

imax24 posted Wed, 09 September 2009 at 2:41 PM

For what it's worth, Setup is not crashing on my copy of P8 Mac. Maybe a PC-only issue.

General comment, inspired by some render posts on this and other forums: A complex scene with lighting,shadows,  etc., make the figure seem out of place if he/she is stiffly posed and has flat skin tones. Natural-looking poses and nice skin shaders go a long way to the quality of the render, IMO.

Some Poser artists at the beginning overlook the basics and concentrate on the big picture, that is the overall scene. Some are even reluctant to do any close-ups because they aren't happy with the way the figure looks without a grand setting surrounding her. I'm certainly talking from experience here.

Anyway, some good pose packages and skin textures/shaders should come before the sprawling sets, IMO. Tweaking a figure for an extended period to try to make her look she's in a natural position is not my idea of creativity, so I am not ashamed to use professional poses and tweak those only slightly to fit the need. I love the GND4 skin/shaders, but there are many other solutions to dull-looking skin. 

edit: I meant the skin / shaders that come with the GND4 figure and can be used on other V4 figures. Blackheart doesn't sell that texture and shader set separately, as far as I know.

DarksealStudios posted Wed, 09 September 2009 at 5:34 PM

Quote - For what it's worth, Setup is not crashing on my copy of P8 Mac. Maybe a PC-only issue.

Thanks for rubbing it in!

j/k