Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Solid surface modeling with maya's nurbs tools.

ronviers opened this issue on Sep 21, 2009 · 7 posts

ronviers posted Mon, 21 September 2009 at 7:27 PM

Hi,
I put a series of videos online that show the modeling of a plastic coke bottle from beginning to end. The entire process took about three hours and forty minutes but I increased the playback speed on the mundane and redundant sections so the total play time is around two hours and fifteen minutes. I do not think anyone will want to watch all of it, so I have labeled the videos according to the shape being modeled. That way if someone needs to model a similar shape and is looking for ideas, then only parts of a video can be watched.
Criticism, suggestions or feedback of any kind is welcome.

airflamesred posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:20 AM

I'd be interested - is there a link?

ronviers posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 7:43 AM

Of course, sorry about that. Here  is the link. Be sure to leave annotations enabled.

Thanks

ronviers posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:45 AM

I decided to try one of these for myself - something I guess I should have done before. I realized that the size of the videos will be larger if you go to youtube and search for, nurbs coke bottle, then use the links that go directly to the videos. I'm not sure why that is but I will look into it.

airflamesred posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 11:34 AM

I found them but nurbs to me are a complete mystery.
The bottle looks great.

ronviers posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 1:16 PM

They are mysterious to me as well. I expect they are to anyone without extensive training in math. But I don't mind, the science guys are great at writing interfaces for us normal people - as long as I can get them to make nice surfaces then I'm happy.
Btw, I'm just an enthusiastic hobbyist, so these videos would not provide a good foundation for nurbs training.

ronviers posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:23 PM

I have added a couple of renders and moved them all to their own album so I can free up the drop box.