Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Figure model

CDI opened this issue on Oct 09, 2009 · 24 posts

CDI posted Fri, 09 October 2009 at 10:23 AM

Hello all,

I originally posted this in the Wings forum but was encouraged to post it here as well.

Im a Blender user who is returning to Wings. Ive missed the abilities of Wings a bit and decided to give it a go once more. After I relearned controls the modeling was just amazingly fast and easy.

Now as I said in the other post I love Blender as well. The two are just different, although if 2.5 adds everything its promised ot the mesh tools that difference may be less than it is now.

Anywho on with my model.

This is just a simple figure. I tried it several times in Blender and was never happy with the result.

This is from Wings and Im farely pleased with it.

I initially had trouble with the shoulders and was searching this site for advice on how others modeled their figures shoulders. I also purchased Jonathan Williamsons modeling tutorial cd and it offered yet another style for doing the shoulders.

In my model i used a technique I found in a vimeo vid tutorial (if I find it again Ill post it) where a poly by poly mehtod was used, however JW used the following

Using box modeling extrude the initial T shape of a characters upper body (1), rotate the "arms" of the T along your facing axis (2). Already at this point you have the shoulder muscle and the a precursor chest. After that you should be able to tweak as you want to obtain a shoulder shape and more (3). 

This was much faster than the vid tutorials poly by poly method.

Anywho, comments welcomed on my figure model. Im dreading starting in on head/neck and hands.

And please forgive me if these techniques are old hats to everyone, another forum-mate was interested in the alternate technique I had mentioned.

PS: does anyone know if Subdivisionmodeling.com is a dead site or are the mods just slow on approving new posts?