Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Joint centre question.

xantor opened this issue on Oct 13, 2009 · 5 posts

xantor posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:03 AM

If I am making an object and it is non symmetrical, how can I find a pivot point in it to put the joint centre at?

For example, the picture shows a tube and a thin box, the centre of the box is not the rotation point, how do I find a specific point in the box to put the pivot point?

This happens a lot with mechanical objects I make where it is difficult to find the exact rotation centre so it would be great if anyone has a solution.

PhilC posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:16 AM

I usually set the preview style to wire frame then use one of the orthographic cameras and the joint parameter editor to position the center where I require.

xantor posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:19 AM

Quote - I usually set the preview style to wire frame then use one of the orthographic cameras and the joint parameter editor to position the center where I require.

That is what I usually do as well, but I was hoping that there would be a better way.

markschum posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 11:25 AM

Yup, thats the only way I know to do it.
It is possible to write a script to scan the geometry , get the bounding box , and find its center but just visually is usually good enough.

xantor posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 12:03 PM

Quote - Yup, thats the only way I know to do it.
It is possible to write a script to scan the geometry , get the bounding box , and find its center but just visually is usually good enough.

I already have a python script that finds the centre of objects, but asymmetrical objects and ones that don`t have the pivot point in the centre are difficult to get right.