Forum: Animation

Subject: Is it legal to publish an external sound track?

Myrailon opened this issue on Dec 13, 2009 · 4 posts

Myrailon posted Sun, 13 December 2009 at 8:50 AM

Hi,
I have made an animation and my idea was to add an audio track to it. I'd like to take that from a CD. Not the whole song, just 10 seconds, because it's the length of my animation.
Does anyone know if it is legal to publish it?
Greetings
Roland

nemirc posted Sun, 13 December 2009 at 9:32 AM

No it is not.

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

CaptainJack1 posted Sun, 13 December 2009 at 5:29 PM

There's a lot of music out in the world that is "royalty free", which can be used as you suggest. Of course, you may have to hunt to find the right kind of sound for your project. Most of this music still has to be paid for (one time, up front, usually), but there are a few artists that offer their work for free, either as a sampler or just because they want to share. Also, some of the places that sell royalty free music occasionally give away samples.

Check out www.istockaudio.com to see if they have any samples, and/or do a web search for "royalty free music".

Oh, when you do find some, check the terms, because they can vary (some allow commercial use, some don't, almost all restrict redistributing the music).

If you plan to do a lot of animation and you're so inclined, you might take a look at Acid by Sony to make your own. They have an introductory version as well as a more sophisticated (and expensive) version. Acid lets you make your own music from sound loops, and there are a lot of free for use sound loops out on the 'net, too.

Hope some of that's helpful. 😄

markschum posted Mon, 14 December 2009 at 10:35 PM

SHORT ANSWER  NOPE!

longer answer, you might come up with a justification under fair use provisions that would hold up BUT you put yourself at risk if it doesnt.

You can contact the music company and seek permission to use the short song segment.
You can find public domain or royalty free music.
You can download some music gererators that use loops to create your own composition.

depends a lot really on what you are doing with it.